LegacyGT.com

Mishimoto (2015 WRX) Intake Fitment on 5th Gen LGT

Well gents I have some news and it isn't good. It's blatantly obvious that every part on the 15 WRX is a knock off version of our car but everything has been tweaked just enough that nothing will fit directly. Take a look at the album I posted for details but basically everything is the same basic part with some minor tweaks and all the piping for the 2.0L is slightly smaller than that of the 2.5L. Mounting points require just enough of a rotation to make fitment slightly off. This goes for the piping and box as well as charge pipe. We took a look at the radiator and it would be a very very tight fit with the racerX larger charge pipe. The other issue is that the mounting brackets point outward on the WRX while they point inward on our car. Again, just enough so that nothing fits exactly.

More details and side by side posts in the picasa album below. I've also commented on the picture to point out what's different fitment wise. Big shout out goes to John and all the guys at Mishimoto for taking the time to test this for the community and for showing me around the facility. Great to meet everyone.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109780854372699670398/albums/6053123623836317681

Thanks for doing this acumen!!! I have looked very closely at their pics and install vid. I'm pretty confident that everything will "fit" just fine, just not sure about the mounting points for the airbox lining up with the mounting points on ours. They are going to test fit the whole box right?

Thanks for doing this acumen!!! I have looked very closely at their pics and install vid. I'm pretty confident that everything will "fit" just fine, just not sure about the mounting points for the airbox lining up with the mounting points on ours. They are going to test fit the whole box right?

Yup, plan is to test the whole thing. They asked that I bring all my stock intake, box and charge pipe components so we can make sure it fits with stock everything else.

We just installed this intake on my brother's 2015 WRX last weekend and in stock form, the MAF placement is a flow measurement nightmare.

A royal pain to tune and calibrate the MAF readings.... all because of the proximity of the MAF housing to the cone filter. Ideally, the MAF housing should be another 3-6 inches further downstream on the elbow section (inside the fender) leading to the turbo... but that would require a MAF cable extension.

Rob @ AMR Performance will or already has contacted Mishimoto re this.

Adding a better flowing non-cone filter caused the car to run super rich (9 or 10:1) at idle, and exceeded the voltage/flow rate limits of the stock MAF sensor beyond 4K RPM, pegging the flow @ 300g/sec, while in reality the car ran extra lean (16:1). On the LGT its likely possible to re-scale and extrapolate this, on the 2015 WRX - not yet.

With that the intake components are good quality, even the seemingly flimsy silicone couplers do no collapse under <21-22psi of boost. It sounds great under WoT, engine breaking, turbo spool up.

With a re-tune, the WRX picked up an additional 40-55 ft-lbf wtq from 2-3K RPM and maybe 15-20 ft-lbf from 4.2-5K RPM. A modest peak wHP gain of 6-8HP.... but the low-end torque gain and the turbo spool up sound itself was well worth it. Target boost raised to 19psi, a notch above the safe target without the intake.

40-55ft-lbf wTQ and 15-30 wHP gain from 2-3K RPM

20ft-lbf wTQ and 10-20 wHP gain from 4.2-5K RPM

6-8 peak wHP gain

Here are some tips that might help make things smoother for you acumenhokie:

If you can, pickup a 3" ID Dryflow filter to replace their oiled element that comes in the kit and if you opt for a 5" long AEM one (leaving some working room in the airbox), you can see about adding 1-2" of piping or reinforced silicone coupler to create some distance between the filter element and the MAF location. I bet it will help the engine run better as-is or help to make a re-tune easier.

If you install the kit as-is, you'll most likely be running lean and it will be tricky (but not impossible) to re-calibrate everything under all load conditions to stabilize the AFRs, long/short term fuels trims, timing advance, etc. This is mainly because of the MAF housing location in reference to the cone filter in this design.

I already have a custom aftermarket intake so I'm not planning to run this setup. Just testing fitment for the benefit of the greater LGT community. :)
Got it, thanks for checking it out then. Question on your setup - can you tell us how far upstream your MAF housing is from the inlet of the filter you're using?

Any idle issues with the custom intake (AFR, fuel trims, timing?).

Thanks for the info Perscitus, it will be very helpful. But like acumen said, he is all set with his setup and tune and is just doing this to test fitment, not to actually run this.
I would be curious to see if aside from confirming fitment the MAF location on the kit causes the same issues on the EJ25 as those we saw on the FA20DIT. I think it likely would.

Question on your setup - can you tell us how far upstream your MAF housing is from the inlet of the filter you're using?

It varies depending on how far I'm driving as my MAF sits on a shelf in the garage (I'm tuned on Speed Density, no MAF) :)

It varies depending on how far I'm driving as my MAF sits on a shelf in the garage (I'm tuned on Speed Density, no MAF) :)
Ha ha ha, that's a great answer! In that case, even with the Mishimoto intake and potentially with a Donaldson filter, you should be fine.

Reminds me to ask AMR if we can convert the WRX to SD. Might just work! I also recently learned an interesting tid bit about SD. Turns out that in most applications SD works by utilizing the MAP readings and creating a 'virtual' MAF sensor output for the ECU to use. So yes, no real MAF but a simulated one is still present because the voltage signal needs to be supplied for load calcs, AFRs, fuel trims, etc.

This might not be the case for all tuning solutions that allow SD, but I believe in most cases - it is.

Well gents I have some news and it isn't good. It's blatantly obvious that every part on the 15 WRX is a knock off version of our car but everything has been tweaked just enough that nothing will fit directly. Take a look at the album I posted for details but basically everything is the same basic part with some minor tweaks and all the piping for the 2.0L is slightly smaller than that of the 2.5L. Mounting points require just enough of a rotation to make fitment slightly off. This goes for the piping and box as well as charge pipe. We took a look at the radiator and it would be a very very tight fit with the racerX larger charge pipe. The other issue is that the mounting brackets point outward on the WRX while they point inward on our car. Again, just enough so that nothing fits exactly.

More details and side by side posts in the picasa album below. I've also commented on the picture to point out what's different fitment wise. Big shout out goes to John and all the guys at Mishifest for taking the time to test this for the community and for showing me around the facility. Great to meet everyone.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109780854372699670398/albums/6053123623836317681

That's a bummer. I wonder if this will be the case with the short shifter.....

We measured but didn't pull the radiator to test while we were there. The core itself seemed to fit but there were two apparent issues.

The direction of the upper mounting tabs.

The thickness looked like the fans might rub (or be very very close) against the larger RacerX charge pipe.

Archived