LegacyGT.com

crank pulley

hope im not to new of member to be jumpin in with questions. just happy to find this site. Im trying to order a crank pulley for my 1991 2.2 legacy and it seems the part numbers are different for AT and manual tranys. doesnt make sense to me. any feedback or part numbers would be appreciated. mine is a manual.thanks

The crank pulleys should be exactly the same. I have both an auto (4EAT) and a manual (5MT) 22E engine and they appear to be the same part. However, the Subaru factory service manual does give two part numbers, one for the 4EAT and one for the 5MT.

That being said, I would just buy whichever model you can find. Keep in mind that they are also listed as harmonic balancers. Rockauto.com has the Dorman for $33.79. There are manufacturers that sell lightened crank pulleys that fit both models so you can just get the Dorman and install it.

By the way, you didn't specify if your vehicle is a manual or auto. Also, the first gen forum is not as great in numbers as other forums so you have to be patient for advice. :)

If you want to learn more than you can ever care to learn about first gen legacies, check out legacycentralbbs: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/index.php It is hands downs the best site for first gens. Good luck!

thanks monkeyposeur, I appreciate the advise. My 1991 legacy is a manual and that was the only one that the dorman 594-129 didnt specify. I even called dorman and they said I probably shouldnt use it if it wasnt listed but had no logic to support their answer. I hopefully done enuff research to see that it shouldnt matter. Anyway it was the only pulley that fit my budget and timeline. I ordered it thru my local autozone and will try it this week. They said I could return it if it wasnt right. I will post the results when finished. Im predicting it will solve my slight wobble. I have been maintaining this subie regularly for its life and love this car. My wife says my patience is as long as my crankshaft. lol

You'll be just fine. Doorman sells the same pulley for the 95 22E and it doesn't specify if it is for an auto or manual. It's basically the same engine as your '91.

When you remove the pulley check the half moon key and slot for damage. Your crank pulley bolt may also be bent if you are experiencing a wobble. A new bolt is pretty cheap. The half moon key's purpose is to hold the pulley in place while tightening the bolt, not to keep the pulley in place when it is tightened properly. Tighten the crank bolt to about 150 ft lbs, the earlier specs listed at 98 or so are wrong.

Will do mp. The wobble is so slight im thinking I caught it before it messed up the woodruff key or channel. Wont know for sure until I can inspect. I plan on tightening the new bolt to at least 140. Snow is on the way here in washington so just trying to get ahead of the game. Thanks again

I've got a bit of wobble on my crank pulley as well. It may be due to my efforts to remove the crank sprocket off the shaft with pry bars. Finally gave up deciding that it had been welded on. But it also may be due to following the low torque spec. Thanks for the torque-tip MP.

Got my new crank pulley installed and torqued it to 120flbs. I know guys have said to torque it to 140-150 but I did not feel comfy doing so. Looks straight and true. upon inspection of my old one I could see the rubber was severely cracked. Key, keyway looked perfect. Will probably change out key on next timing belt change which is about 25k miles or so.

Archived