LegacyGT.com

E/T on computer only has ---

shiggins

The E/T function on my trip computer seems to have gone out. I don't check it much, as the mileage functions are much more addicting. I know it worked when I took delivery of the car 2 weeks ago, this weekend I noticed it just had the "---" no matter what I did. Is there something I did to disable it (I looked through the manual briefly and found nothing)? Or is it my first warranty repair?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, I'm definitely on the E/T screen. Everything else on the trip computer works fine, just the E/T timer does not function. Obviously I have a problem, as no one has replied with "read the manual you idiot, just press so and so and it'll reset."

Damn, two weeks in and my first warranty repair. Otherwise the car seems solid. I'm hoping this is the only problem.

are you really low on gas. it'll go down to about 20 miles left, then go --

I think he means E/T as in Elapsed Time...not DTE (Distance to Empty or Range). I'm very familar with this function as I time myself on the way to work to see if I can improve on my previous best. Makes the commute more of a challenge.

My E/T showed -- once but it seemed to be a one time thing and hasn't happened since..

Ha! Time warp it is. I kept wondering why I'd leave for work on Tuesday and get there and it seemed like it was only Monday.....

No, I went through all the obvious things, and yes the car is on and I am driving it. It's a simple problem of the elapsed time not functioning right now as it should. I'll just have the dealer take a look at it. It's a small issue, but still sucks 'cause I really don't want some mechanic taking things apart to replace them. The car is still in it's virginal state, no good comes from taking things in the dash apart. I had just hoped I had done something stupid (like when I spent 15 minutes last week trying to figure why my parking lights wouldn't go off before I remembered faintly some post about a switch on top of the steering column :redface: ) and it would be an easy fix.

Well, at least it's the only problem so far, and it's minor. The rest of the car is rock solid.

Well, to top it off, when I left for a meeting today, it started working. Of course when I left after the meeting it was not working again. So it's definitely an issue I'll address with the dealer at the first oil change. I already mentioned it to the sales guy when he called to tell me my plates were in.

The Elapsed Time is tied into the ignition and resets then starts each time you turn the key on, so somewhere in that path, it seems there's a problem, as the E/T doesn't start counting.

• 1 month later...
My car's E/T timer started displaying "---" recently also. Only ~400 miles on the odometer. I'd be interested in hearing if you found out anything about the problem.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I haven't solved it yet. It works on rare occasion, but mostly nothing, just the ----. I'm waiting to take it into the dealer one of these days. It's such a minor problem that I don't want to give up my car during these last nice days here before snow.

I haven't solved it yet. It works on rare occasion, but mostly nothing, just the ----. I'm waiting to take it into the dealer one of these days. It's such a minor problem that I don't want to give up my car during these last nice days here before snow.

While I'm not sure what this 'snow' is that you speak of, I am also waiting to take my car to the dealer (a 90 minute drive). The journey time is such a minor issue that it can wait until the car's first oil change.

phoenix96

I found today that the journey time indicator works fine if I turn the ignition to On just long enough for the "---" to show up before starting the car. Turning the key from Lock to Start directly apparently doesn't give the trip computer enough time to boot up, and when it does after the car is already running it doesn't begin counting as it should.

phoenix96

I found today that the journey time indicator works fine if I turn the ignition to On just long enough for the "---" to show up before starting the car. Turning the key from Lock to Start directly apparently doesn't give the trip computer enough time to boot up, and when it does after the car is already running it doesn't begin counting as it should.

This is the same scenario on my '06 as well. I tried it out last night with identical results.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Hum....

I typically like to keep an eye on ambient temps, so I never leave the computer on the E/T mode - I've *never* gotten the "---" before, and perhaps this (i.e. my practice) is why?

I cycle-through to the E/T both in the early AM as well as in the evening, when I'm about to start my commute, so I can make myself sit-still while warming up the vehicle. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived