LegacyGT.com

detailing interiors!!!!

hey all. im wondering what some of you do to treat/maintain your dashboards. good products to recommend? maybe some strategies you use to get it shining like new again? im just not happy with the way mine looks after i finish, expecting more. i use some mcquires leather care dashboard stuff. :p

I use Aerospace 303 protectant. Kind of spendy compared to some of the other protectants on the shelf, but it has the right look and it really does last a long time. I probably would only have to buy one bottle every two years if I was just using it on my own vehicles. It isn't a greasy ghetto shine and it does a great job at protecting. My car is ten years old and the dash looks like new. No discolored spots or cracks or any build up anywhere. I'm a little picky about this kind of thing too, so if it were making life difficult in any way whatsoever, you know I wouldn't use it. ;)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I have that same sticky crap but its my entire dash. I read that its from it sitting in the sun for really long periods and glue seeps through. Dont know how true it is, but I do know I have tried for 1 year to get it off using different products and it has not gotten even 1% better.

There are a couple products for cleaning up your dash if there is gunk on it or something else going on. I've never seen glue seep up through the dash, so I'm not sure that is it. The problem is that often times by the time you get around to fixing heavy damage, the damage is so bad that repairing it will just destroy the rest of the dash. For this reason I recommend you go gentle on cleaning neglected dashes.

A tooth brush and warm soapy water will do the trick on so many things. Give it a shot and see how it works. Any vinyl brush should work too, just don't use steel or brass. Not at first, anyway.

Another helpful product is Tuff Stuff. It is a great foaming interior cleaner that does a great job at getting soda and boogers off the dashboard. Gross, I know, but we have all sneezed a time or two while driving and ended up blasting the dash and steering wheel with snot.

There are a couple interior cleaners on the shelves now. It used to just be the Meguiar's Interior Detailer, but now I believe Armor All and a couple other brands have joined the fray. Those are great for regular maintenance. They keep the dust and grime to a minimum and offer some small amount of protection. I would always follow something like that up with a real protectant like 303, but they do the trick for weekly cleanups. Definitely worth a shot if you just have some light cleaning to take care of.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I have that same sticky crap but its my entire dash. I read that its from it sitting in the sun for really long periods and glue seeps through. Dont know how true it is, but I do know I have tried for 1 year to get it off using different products and it has not gotten even 1% better.

If you can, post some pics of it and may be we could help you out .

I just cleaned my interior. I used a bottle of Armour All that I got as a gift for Xmas. Know what? It worked really well. I don't know if they've reformulated it from 25 years ago, but the results are great.

They did reformulate it. Armor All used to be pretty crappy stuff, but that was 15 or 20 years ago. Some brands never live down their reputation. The new stuff actually works pretty well. I'll be honest, even I use the stuff. They have a line that has scent to it and I like using it on things like vans and SUVs where there is a lot of plastic that doesn't necessarily need a lot of UV protection. How much UV protection does the plastic down the side of the van on the third row really need? Besides, it smells good. :) I'll use something good like 303 on the dash and pretty much anything right next to a window or ahead of the front seats, but other areas (floor boards, under the dash, sides in the third row, etc) I don't have a problem using Armor All. I'm sure it actually does protect as well, so I'm not really slacking by using something affordable, available locally, and has added benefits of making the car smell good.

OCDETAILS BLOG

They did reformulate it. Armor All used to be pretty crappy stuff, but that was 15 or 20 years ago. Some brands never live down their reputation. The new stuff actually works pretty well. I'll be honest, even I use the stuff. They have a line that has scent to it and I like using it on things like vans and SUVs where there is a lot of plastic that doesn't necessarily need a lot of UV protection. How much UV protection does the plastic down the side of the van on the third row really need? Besides, it smells good. :) I'll use something good like 303 on the dash and pretty much anything right next to a window or ahead of the front seats, but other areas (floor boards, under the dash, sides in the third row, etc) I don't have a problem using Armor All. I'm sure it actually does protect as well, so I'm not really slacking by using something affordable, available locally, and has added benefits of making the car smell good.

I believe they reformulate it already, but just to be safe I wouldn't suggest to use it. I really find it as a dust magnet.

I believe they reformulate it already, but just to be safe I wouldn't suggest to use it. I really find it as a dust magnet.

If you don't buff it off then that is true, but that is true for pretty much anything you put on your dash. If you spray it on heavy and leave it wet, then yeah... you are going to get dust. Buff it with a dry towel after you apply it and it will look better (more even) and it cuts down on the dust attraction.

OCDETAILS BLOG

:) Thanks. I've moved everything over to OCDetails.com, so that is where any new stuff will go. I've got so much stuff sitting in draft form that I haven't had time to attach pictures to... I really need to get on that.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 4 weeks later...

I like carpro Perl, but 303 is good too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 7 months later...

Bringing post back from the dead.

Good post and I will give the Aerospace 303 a try. I also heard from this forum about Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner and Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner. I will probably buy all three and see which one I like best.

Awesome Blog OCDetails!

• 1 month later...
i had the sticky dash begin to develop, especially after applying Armor-All (not that it is at fault, but just happened to notice at that point). i use a sun shade now and it is helping the dash

Archived