LegacyGT.com

Disable TPMS in ECU?

rudy

So, my effort at using factory TPMS sensors in the BBS rims failed due to the RK's not having a proper notch for them to slide in. Does anyone have any feedback from dealers if they can disable TPMS in the ECU. I figure it must be a software toggle if the cars bound for Canada don't have TPMS installed.

*Edit*

This is how it's disabled for VW's. I'm assuming something similar might/must be possible for Subaru:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3160250

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, so far driving without sensors in the wheels and I haven't received any sort of warning light that I've noticed. Hmm...now I'm wondering if you just don't have any sensors at all (versus sensors that are installed and have to be reset, etc) if the system picks up on that and disables automatically?

It usually takes a few miles before the light begins to flash. As long as maybe 20 minutes or so. Flashing isn't that noticeable, but is a nuisance.

I'm going to check with the Techs at the dealer on Friday about disablement.

It usually takes a few miles before the light begins to flash. As long as maybe 20 minutes or so. Flashing isn't that noticeable, but is a nuisance.

I'm going to check with the Techs at the dealer on Friday about disablement.

I checked with my dealer and I know the official story line is it can't be disabled. I guess I'd like to know if can't really means can't, or won't. I just know generally there are tons of setting that you can toggle on/off in software. If that's the case, I'd like to know because it might signal hope that a 'cool' dealer could do it, or possibly it's something Cobb/Tuners could switch in software, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found some useful information at tirerack while looking at wheels for the Spec B.

Your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system that

requires a sensor to be installed in the tire and wheel assembly for

proper operation.

NOTE: The original sensors from your original wheels can be used or you may purchase sensors from The Tire Rack.

INSTALLATION: If you purchase a Tire & Wheel Package when you buy new sensors, the sensors will be installed on the wheels at no additional charge. Otherwise, you will have to arrange for installation by a trained technician after your new wheels are shipped to you. The Tire Rack's Recommended Installers are available to help you with your installation needs and can be selected by ZIP Code in the shopping cart.

Once installed, you will need to read your vehicle's owner's manual to review the proper procedure for allowing your vehicle to "recognize" the new sensors.

Your system includes:

TPMS SENSOR

$152.00 for a quantity of 4

TPMS NUT

$8.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $160.00

There is a picture of what the sensor looks like

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/TPMSS...ModClar=Spec+B

• 2 months later...

I have an 08 Legacy 2.5i with 1,600 miles on it.

I'm curious as to how to turn off this stupid TPMS. I've had the car a matter of weeks, and three times the TPMS light comes on. The first time I added 2 lbs of air to one tire. The next time I checked - all tires were exactly where they should be. The third time (this morning), I checked and they are all where they should be as well. The second time the light went off, I let it go and within 2 days, it went off. I'm hoping the same thing happens this time...

In my opinion, the Monitors are way too sensitive. 2 lbs? C'mon - that amount of pressure can change from heating up the tires. I'm smart enough to realize when the tires are low - I don't need no stinking computer telling me! *grin*

I want to disable it! I don't have the thingy to change it in the computer, so I'm looking for other suggestions...

TIA

Zim

I'm curious as to how to turn off this stupid TPMS. I've had the car a matter of weeks, and three times the TPMS light comes on. The first time I added 2 lbs of air to one tire. The next time I checked - all tires were exactly where they should be. The third time (this morning), I checked and they are all where they should be as well. The second time the light went off, I let it go and within 2 days, it went off. I'm hoping the same thing happens this time...

In my opinion, the Monitors are way too sensitive. 2 lbs? C'mon - that amount of pressure can change from heating up the tires. I'm smart enough to realize when the tires are low - I don't need no stinking computer telling me! *grin*

I want to disable it! I don't have the thingy to change it in the computer, so I'm looking for other suggestions...

TIA

Zim

I think you should take it in to the dealer. It should not be that sensitive so it sounds like there's something wrong.

Having the same problem with my 2007 with <2000 mi. Sensors went off 3 times so far and my tire pressure has been spot on during those instances.

Only thing that was different was that the temperatures dropped from around 60 to 30 within 3 hrs - not uncommon out here. I guess the sensors needed some time to adjust.

I'll get them looked at during my first oil change.

Having the same problem with my 2007 with <2000 mi. Sensors went off 3 times so far and my tire pressure has been spot on during those instances.

Only thing that was different was that the temperatures dropped from around 60 to 30 within 3 hrs - not uncommon out here. I guess the sensors needed some time to adjust.

I'll get them looked at during my first oil change.

Ironically, each time mine have gone off was when the temp dropped quickly as well. Maybe not as drastic as where you are, but you might be on to something...

Also, is it true that the sensors need to adjust? Curious...

Zim

• 1 month later...
I've been told that the TPMS sensor is considered a safety component so dealers and others wont disable it even if they know how. Thats what the guy at Discount Tire told me anyway. He refused to mount my tires without the TPMS sensor in the new rims.

The whole TPMS requirement came about because of a little problem known as Firestone + Ford Explorer. Ring any bells? Its mandated by the feds now on all 08+ models IIRC.

And yes, TPMS is that sensitive. It comes on in our '07 Tacoma at about 2 psi as well.

I'm about to buy my winter wheels/tires, and I'm not going to spend extra$$$ for TPMS and paying dealer to pair it twice a year.

Is electric black tape will actually cover that light completely? I'm afraid there will be some reflections visible anyway, especially when driving at night... :(

Archived