LegacyGT.com

07 Legacy front end noise

Looking for help from people that know the most. I have '07 Legacy with almost 76k on it. Live in Northeast where road quality is below poor. That said, I replaced stabilizer link pin on driver side less than a year ago. Still getting a bad rattling sound anytime I go over some bumps. I can almost feel something "loose" through my steering wheel if that makes sense. I had it checked out by a mechanic and he said everything looked tight. Had a guy drive it around and couldn't emulate the sound. Anyone have any advice?

How long have you been hearing the noise? And have you been through a car wash, or had it in a heated garage for an extended period of time since the noise started? Also, where is the noise coming from? Front or back, driver or passenger?

I am in Boston, and had a real bad rattle coming from underneath that ended up being some snow and ice restricting motion in the suspension geometry.

How long have you been hearing the noise? And have you been through a car wash, or had it in a heated garage for an extended period of time since the noise started? Also, where is the noise coming from? Front or back, driver or passenger?

I am in Boston, and had a real bad rattle coming from underneath that ended up being some snow and ice restricting motion in the suspension geometry.

Thanks for the response. The noise seems to coming from the front driver side. I haven't been through the car wash, but the car is garage kept most of the day. I recently had the tires remounted and sealed after they kept leaking air and ever since then it seems. The rattle has been going on for approximately a month now. My mechanic said everything looked fine and didn't notice it.

Well, if your mechanic has had it up on a lift, then the ice/snow issue is out. He would have noticed that if he looked at it from underneath.

If your mechanic said everything looked tight, only two things come to mind for me:

EZ version:

Check the torque on your lug nuts with a torque wrench. If a couple lugs have loosened up, it could be your wheel knocking against the hub when you hit a bump just right.

PITA version:

When I had a Civic, my rear control arm bushing developed a small crack during a COLD winter. The noise gradually got worse and worse as the crack in the bushing propagated, until I paid the stealership too much cash to use a hydraulic press to remove the old bushing and press in some fresh ones. The front control arm bushings may be easier to check than the rear, so you may want to start there.

I am sure that your mechanic did all the necessary checks, but the way that those control arm bushing are mounted, you cannot adequately inspect them until the control arm is off the car... :spin: Also, most often you cannot simulate enough force on the suspension to cause the rattling noise unless the car is on the ground, so it makes it really hard for a mechanic to properly diagnose.

Lower control arm bushings go on these all the time. Sounds like it may be your problem. At a quick glance they can appear to be "OK" but if you look closely you can see where the bushing tears off of the ring its mounted in. Check that

Archived