LegacyGT.com

07 infiniti awd g35 sedan

terrangama

After 2 years and > 60K miles with my bone stock Auto LGT(Comparable to the Auto-only G35x):

What I like:

- Fast

- KISS. No complicated systems. Easy enough to do most maintainence items.

- Very good handling with aftermarket tires on the stock suspension

- Light on its feet with 3500 curb weight as compared to the G35x 3700

- If you're gonna modify, the aftermarket performance market for the LGT is pretty good. The G35 being NA is inherently limited.

What I didn't like:

- Inherent turbo characteristics. Significant impact on performance depending on ambient temperatures. It's a dog in the summer but a beast in the winter. Obviously an NA would be more consistent. Comparing good-engineered(Japanese) gas engines, a turbo is inherently less fault-tolerant and ultimately less reliable than an NA. At least that has been my experience.

- The light chassis experiences major wind buffeting on the highway. Very obvious while passing trucks. Obviously with a heavier curb weight, I think the G35 will feel more secure.

- Resale value is not the best

- The G35x is a much more comfortable cruiser than the LGT.

What will be the primary use for the LGT? Daily driver to work or do you have a beater?

What kind of weather do you see?

What kind of roads do you ride most of the time(backroads, highways, city)? Condition of said roads, full of potholes, smooth?

Are there usual passengers? If so, wife, kids, rents?

I keed I keeed

^ Forced induction vehicles are less affected by high ambient temperatures. I had a J30t with the venerable VG30DE engine and it suffered terribly in high temp/humidity conditions. That said, all ICEs will suffer performance loss when temperature decreases air density and humidity displaces oxygen.

I was quite interested in the '07 G35x, but in the end decided that I really didn't want to give up on the utility of a wagon. Now, if I was looking for a sedan, hmm. Still, the Infiniti is a lot more money. Likely more than I would have spent.

Oh, I should mention that all the reviews I read while looking at the G35 were quite favourable. It seems to be a great car.

The fact that its auto only took it right out of the equation for me. I think the sedan looks like ass but the coupe is quite good looking.

If you are happy with an auto tranny then you could make worse choices. I decided to save 10Gs and go with 5MT GT wagon.

6 MT coupe with AWD is the only G35 I would consider. (I know that it doesn't exist)

It is a really nice car & I do like it. The one downside is option packages on the car & what dealers have in stock.

Down here almost every car has the sport package.

Have yet to see one on the lot for under 37K, most are closer to 40:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Just traded my 07 STI Limited for an 06 G35x. Gave the G to my wife so I can drive my LGT. Got the 06 instead of the 07 to save on the bath I took on the trade (the 06 was discounted by $4500; the 07 would have been sticker). After trading the STI and driving the G for 50 miles, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

The x only comes in auto but I needed the AWD. After driving the G for several days I can say that compared to my stage 2 LGT (with upgraded pads, lines, RSB, steering rack bushings, Ion springs) the G is more upscale and luxurious, quieter, very quick (not quite as quick as the LGT), handles very well (though not as well as the LGT), and rides a bit more harshly than the LGT over bumps (yes surprisingly). It corners well but is a tad bit on the soft side (possibly due to the Eagle RSAs?). And it has better brakes (at least better brake feel) By FAR.

It is alot of fun to drive (though not as fun as the LGT) and this REALLY surprised me. I thought I would be bored to tears with the auto but it was a BALL to drive. I found myself enjoying doing with it what I do with the LGT - accelerating quickly from a standstill, accelerating briskly then braking, passing and changing lanes, etc. It was a great cruiser on the highway but I enjoyed it as well on the twisty country roads. There were points in time I told myself I could actually live with the G instead of the LGT should my wife refuse to give me my Pearl back :icon_wink . And, IMHO, the car is great looking (we got the Lakeshore Slate with Stone interior and we LOVE it).

I never drove the manual but if I did not need AWD (or they made the manual with AWD) I would consider it for myself.

The jury is out on how the AWD will perform in the snow. I have prepared my wife for the need to upgrade tires and we'll just take it day by day.

Good luck with your decision.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

another plus about the g35 awd sedan is that i read somewhere of the rwd biased in the system. can someone confirm this?

Yes, the AWD is rear wheel biased. Under dry conditions, most power goes to the rear wheels. As slippage is detected, power is redirected. There is a "snow mode" button that can lock in a 50/50 split in power to F/R.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

another plus about the g35 awd sedan is that i read somewhere of the rwd biased in the system. can someone confirm this?

It is RWD biased. At the start, you have some torque going on the front and rear end. Something like 30% front 70% rear. If conditions requires it, more torque is given to the front wheels. But if you are on dry pavement after the start, it goes to 100% to the rear.

It is a really nice car & I do like it. The one downside is option packages on the car & what dealers have in stock.

Down here almost every car has the sport package.

Have yet to see one on the lot for under 37K, most are closer to 40:(

I bought an 06 with no options for $29,900.

07 BMW 335xi

After 2 years and > 60K miles with my bone stock Auto LGT(Comparable to the Auto-only G35x):

What I like:

- Fast

- KISS. No complicated systems. Easy enough to do most maintainence items.

- Very good handling with aftermarket tires on the stock suspension

- Light on its feet with 3500 curb weight as compared to the G35x 3700

- If you're gonna modify, the aftermarket performance market for the LGT is pretty good. The G35 being NA is inherently limited.

What I didn't like:

- Inherent turbo characteristics. Significant impact on performance depending on ambient temperatures. It's a dog in the summer but a beast in the winter. Obviously an NA would be more consistent. Comparing good-engineered(Japanese) gas engines, a turbo is inherently less fault-tolerant and ultimately less reliable than an NA. At least that has been my experience.

- The light chassis experiences major wind buffeting on the highway. Very obvious while passing trucks. Obviously with a heavier curb weight, I think the G35 will feel more secure.

- Resale value is not the best

- The G35x is a much more comfortable cruiser than the LGT.

What will be the primary use for the LGT? Daily driver to work or do you have a beater?

What kind of weather do you see?

What kind of roads do you ride most of the time(backroads, highways, city)? Condition of said roads, full of potholes, smooth?

Are there usual passengers? If so, wife, kids, rents?

Hey, thanks for all the reply's. Im still in college and this will be my primary car until i can afford to buy my own. Just like to mention that Im also looking at the legacy wagon and the obxt. Currently leaning towards the obxt. The g35x was kind of an after thought, like I could get this car, but i love wagons so i probably wont get the g35x. Anyone have thoughts between the obxt and legacy gt wagon? Legacy GT wagons are near impossible to come by in SoCal, the only ones i found were in northern california.

we have a few 07's that are base with just the $1000 sunroof options still going for about 34k i belive.

I do love the new G's I have still yet to drive the g35 Sport 6mt . The the auto sport is awesome. The whole HDD idea rocks and it handles like a dream. I have to say the car sounds weird though, prolly from the dual intakes....

Let me add that I like the G's seats better than the LGT's. And, I may have been mistaken when I stated that the G rode more harshly. The more I ride in it, the more I believe it may be a bit more forgiving than my LGT. My wife definitely believes that to be true and she has been driving the LGT for weeks - and the G for 3 days.

07 BMW 335xi

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
Reviving an old thread...the 08 G35x looks nice. Real nice. What do you think? Trade in the Legacy?

I'm debating:

- G35x vs. STI

- luxury vs. sport

- soft vs. raw

- old fart vs. young stud (in my mind)

- wife+2-year-old vs. one last fling

- Scarlett Johansson vs. Angelina Jolie

- what was I talking about again...?

Well, nevermind. I just need a daily driver for my one-way, 42-mile, 70-minute commute through the battle-scarred, salt-eaten, truck-battered streets of hell in suburban Detroit. My wife won't give me her 5MT LGT Ltd. wagon.

I'm giving myself until this fall to flip a coin.

When I bought my car, I was torn between an 05 LGT and an 03-04 G35.

If I could go back in time, I'd probably get the G35 instead. I just miss the torque in the low RPM ranges wayyyyy too much.

I should also note that I opted for an automatic. With a manual it would probably be a bit closer.

The VQ35 engine in the g35 should ultimately be more reliable due to a lack of turbo as well.

Just be prepared to get worse gas mileage, pay a higher up front price, and pay more insurance.

I wanted to try a turbo car because I thought it would be fun, but I don't think I like the nature of a small displacement turbo engine much. It would probably be a different story if it was a 3.0+ displacement engine.

To clarify, I don't hate the LGT by any means. It's got plenty of power, is quite comfortable, and should prove to be a good vehicle for the next few years.

Archived