LegacyGT.com

Ever have your PS fluid freeze?

Hi guys,

It was about 0 deg f here for a few days, and I hadn't driven my '08 LGT much, sat from Sat evening until Monday noon.

When I started it, the wheel wouldn't turn left at very first, then once it started being turnable, it remained jerky and I could hear what sounded like the pump making groaning for the first few miles, especially when I would turn the wheel.

I drove about 8 miles, then the car sat for about 1/2 hr, everything was fine after that.

The fluid level is fine, could the fluid have frozen?

Thanks,

Paul

High water content in the fluid is my only guess and driving it got the fluid hot enought to boil the water off ... we've had this happen on our industrial compressors that short cycle and don't run long enough to get the oil hot enough to boil the water/condensate out of the oil. Also a good reason you shouldn't just start up a car when in storage and shut off before going through a good heat cycle of the oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback.

I was just doing some more searching, and I think I may have found the issue.

It appears that the O ring in the PS pump line can shrink when it gets very cold allowing air into the system causing the problems I experienced.

I'll change thee O ring and see if that cures it, easy fix if that's it.

Paul

PS. I had to change the intake gaskets due a similar issue in very cold weather, solved the problem.

Archived