LegacyGT.com

Good CD player for my '92 wagon???

My first Subaru. I like it a lot. Louie, I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship. I hate the radio/cassette player. I'd like to install an aftermarket unit and speakers. Any suggestions would be helpful. I don't want to get into the giant sub in the back stuff, and I don't need lots of high tech features. Thanks.

Go down to Bestbuy and see what is within your budget and what sounds good to you. I installed a Kenwood that was on sale for $80 or so with some Pioneer speakers. The Kenwood has a USB port which is a must for me. I'm not saying my choice is the best. Make sure you get a wiring harness adapter. You will have to strip and crimp some wires. The colors lined up but do some research and find a wiring diagram.

A grounding mod will make the system function better.

If you want to save money go to the pick n pull and comb through the cars for some decent aftermarket speakers. I found the Pioneers for cheap and also picked up some Bose speakers out of an Auidi for $8.

The head unit is the best place to start since it will make your stockers sound a lot better. I'd recommend coaxials for the front and rear fills for the rear. The placement of the rear speakers on the trut towers is ideal for sound.

Another tip, stock tweeters from a second gen fit OK on a first gen. They aren't the best tweeters in the world but I picked up a set for $5 at the junkyard and they are pretty nice.

You don't need a giant sub, but one 10" in the back is plenty and will really make everything sound great!

Thanks for the info. I had heard/read that it's hard to find install kits for a Legacy that fit the dash opening without mods. I'll do some looking. So far I just replaced the stock rears. Somebody tore the paper on one of them while doing strut work.

• 3 weeks later...
The dash kit comes with a lot of crud you dont need but there is a pocket or blank cover to choose from, they stack on top or bottom of the headunit and uses the stock radio brackets that screw into the side of the headunit with the factory screws. easy to find on Crutchfield but when it comes to prices Amazon or ebay is generally cheapest. Best buy pays minimum wages for installers, so installation is usually free with purchase of harness/dashkit and headunit. I like to upgrade wire size on my yellow wire(constant12v) and ground wire. This will keep the display of your headunit from dimming when at max volume along with keeping higher quality speakers from clipping(distorting) I run 2 pairs of infinity components(seperate midrange/tweeter)off a pioneer headunit this way. These high powered speakers usually require an amplifier to sound decent at loud volumes, and someday I will get a 4 channel amp. I just recently installed my 12"L5 solobaric square sub with my 900w sub amp and it sounds amazing when I'm rocking slipknot! Its always better to overpower a sub and just turn the gain down. My solobaric sub has lasted 8 years of abuse because of this!Its on its last legs though. I will be getting a single 10" JL audio W3, W6 and be building a custom fiberglass ported box to fit in the spare tire well. I always go overboard on the tunes.

Crutchfield and sonic electronix is usually where i buy. If you are on a budget pick and pull works as well. You don't really need a dash kit to install aftermarket. If you use a double din you will just have a small 1/2 din opening under the stereo. All you really need is a harness adapter. The factory door tweeters are better than nothing but that far away from your mid range low in the door is not ideal. You would be better with two-ways.

Thanks for all the responses. I looked at Crutchfields and also visited the local Best Buy. The guy at Best Buy said there would be an install issue and quoted $410 for a deck/pair of speakers (doors) installed. They advertise it for $265 (installed) on their site. I walked. Crutchfield's fit info says something about the "pocket" under the factory radio needing to be 3" to install aftermarket stuff. I don't know why since whatever I get is going to be about 2" high. I noticed Scosche (spelling?) and Metra sell install kits. My car has the factory radio/cassette player combo. The rears were shot and I replaced with Sony speakers that were sitting in my basement and never used. I think I'll go with Crutchfield's and get the fit info from them, and the advice from the forum. Thanks.

Archived