LegacyGT.com

How To: Remove Bumper (4th Gen)

This is just a simple write up for people who doesn't know how to remove the bumper on their 4th Gen Subaru Legacy.

My car is a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, Bumper removal DIY (these are just keywords for searching...)

First of all, un-clip the 4 tabs that are behind the grill

Then remove the 2 bolts that are on both side of the grill

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110799&stc=1&d=1327103860

Then there are 6? 8? pop it tabs that are on the underside, along the edge of the bumper, remove all of them. Just get under the car and you'll see them. Think where you'd add a front lip, and just look in those area.

Now onto the fender well, pull on the fender liner, and you'll be able to see another pop it tab hidden.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110800&stc=1&d=1327103860

Now before you pull the entire bumper skin off, disconnect the fog light wiring

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110801&stc=1&d=1327103860

Simple enough right?

I don't have a 08+ Legacy, thus I don't know if they are different or not.

1.thumb.jpg.f0a9dc3f1370c6f7cc0a6cb75c8cd13c.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.9b2e2fd1131c4170e3eac9f6f0754781.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.b7fef03b506abb220ebbb2731927dc1f.jpg

:spin: thank god someone finally helped the noobs out that don't know how to search and get this at all the other locations... :lol:

first time for everyone will be hard...:rolleyes:

god i love those rims. and funny enough my gf drives a red mini.

thx...mini is fun to drive!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone show me the fitment underneath the car, please?

I'm pretty sure the bodyshop has installed my bumper incorrectly - they have the front under cover sitting on top of the front bumper. I'm pretty sure the under cover clips to the underside of the bumper, does it not?

Thanks!

Thanks, I figured that once I got under the car and looked at how it all went back together. I had a feeling I needed to take off the entire cover so I started with all the clips underneath first, then pulled the grille.

Turns out all I had to do was pull the grille and wiggle the bumper back under the headlight properly.

The clips on top of the grille and under the bumper - are they the phillips screw pop-screw types or are they something different. I have a feeling the body shop installed some generic clips that you have to pry apart with a flat screwdriver...

sorry off topic, but i saw that you had your floor jack from the front of the car. Can you show me where the jacking support points are below the engine? I always jack from the sides as I am not sure where the support points are below the engine. but it'd be nice to know a center jacking location that could lift the entire front of the car.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Anyone know what replacement pop pins fit? Mine ripped out because of a driveway. I don't want to get them from the dealer

I tried buying several off brands pop pins that said they "fit subarus" but they were too thick. I went and bit the bullet and bought like (10) from online dealer for like 2$-3$ a pop. It sucked, but they fit perfectly now

I tried buying several off brands pop pins that said they "fit subarus" but they were too thick. I went and bit the bullet and bought like (10) from online dealer for like 2$-3$ a pop. It sucked, but they fit perfectly now

These work 100% on my '05 LGT I was happy Amazon threw them in my box with a boost gauge.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00588T81Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: 15 Subaru Bumper Engine Cover Fender And Grille Clips: Automotive[/ame]

Archived