LegacyGT.com

I want to change from power antenna to a short permenant antenna

Any antenna for a car will work, you just might need to get creative with mounting and wiring. There's plenty of cars at junkyards with short antennas, just pull one off and have at it. You will want the whole antenna assembly if you pull it, don't just unscrew the antenna.

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk372/jblanford3/DSC_5202.jpg

Like this?

$8 at your FLAPS.

Installing it is another story.

I broke my power antenna off in a car wash (it didn't go down anyways) so I needed another because I like teh talk radio and DLing podcasts is too much work.

Anyways it took me and a buddy that is way smarter than I am just about an entire afternoon to get it done. Basically used the old mount and modified it so the gasket would still be nice and tight on the outside of the car.

So....We have the EXACT same car. Only, you still have the cross bars for your roof rack. These cars ooze sex appeal. What (generally speaking) was involved in fitting the car with a non-powered antenna? I will be working inside behind the panel nearest the window nearest the antenna mast... But do you have any pointers to offer? Thanks.

You should have posted this a week ago. I was in Akron all of last week, I could of showed you.

Anyways, in order to get at the motor and mast base you need to pretty much remove all the interior trim pieces from the rear door back. It's not hard, just take your time with the plastic clips (I didn't break any) and there's a couple of screws. Once you get to the antenna unit, remove it completely. I then trimmed off the exposed portion of the mast. All the way down to the "shiny part" that is just above the rubber gasket on the outside of the car. This is the tricky part: I used a stepped drill bit on the inside of the antenna mast/motor to get it the proper size for the new antenna to fit. There's a plastic piece down inside there that gave us fits. We eventually got drilled it out (need a long bit for this). I then just pushed the new antenna into the top of the mast. It was a really tight fit but I used a small screw clamp anyways. Reinstalled everything, making sure to leave the power NOT connected and making sure to CONNECT the antenna cable. Worked like a charm. This was several months ago and I havent had an issue yet.

No, I didn't take any when I was doing it. I thought about but I thought no one would ever need it so I got lazy. It's really not that hard, just time consuming. The toughest part is getting the old telescoping part out and the new static antenna in.

My car is going in for repairs sometime soon, whenever I get the chance to take off work. Its getting new rear brakes and a cv joint, maybe some other stuff. I'll see if I can buy a new short permenant attena, and have them put it on for me. I don't like the look of my long stock one. It also doesn't go down all the way when I shut the car off from time to time.

• 1 year later...
Here might be a cheaper solution. I had a '98 OBW withthe power antenna. Replaced the unit twice as it get getting stuck and then the gears would strip. Either disconnect the power connector at the right height or, force the grears to strip by holding it up when you turn the radio off. You probably can give it a slight bend so it won't travel as well.

Archived