LegacyGT.com

stage 2 question - long road trip bad?

Tyrone Biggums

a week after the install? here's the deal - if i can get an install appointment at king of parts i will go stage 2 this weekend. i have decided on the cobb catted downpipe, still unsure about which up to get, and thats all i plan to have installed at this time.

would it be bad to go on a 1400 mile roadtrip about a week after the install? noob here, and while i did a bunch of searches i couldnt find exactly what i was looking for.

on another note, can anyone suggest an up? i've searched, read reviews, and narrowed it down to the following choices: Invidia, Perrin, or HKS

any advice / suggestions / comments appreciated

wa da tah my damie

Just keep an ear open for leaks and check your boost level with the AP or gauge. Once you hit stage 2 boost levels your more likely to blow off some hoses. You should zip tie or metal clamp (don't over tighten) the hose connections on the blue t connector under the intercooler and where the hose off the blue t connects to the manifold. Mine all blew off once I hit 17psi.

^ those heat shields have been known to rattle. The quality of the Invidia is worth the extra $70-$90 for a new better quality aftermarket part IMO.

What makes it better quality? I don't get the point of spending more on a pipe that's the same diameter, and losing the heatshields and increasing your underhood temps?

$100 for the MR isn't bad...

What makes it better quality? I don't get the point of spending more on a pipe that's the same diameter, and losing the heatshields and increasing your underhood temps?

$100 for the MR isn't bad...

:lol:

An UP pipe is about 14-16 inches long...you really think a few heat sheilds are really going to make that much of a temp change under the hood? And for that matter make a difference? Those heat sheilds get hot as hell an put off plenty of heat. Have you seen the inside of a OEM LGT pipe? I tell you, my LGT UP was nothing to write home about. Take a look....at this crack. Found that many other members OEM up pipes looked like this. Now the STI Up...dunno...but it's made by Bosal. An "ok" pipe.

upcrack.thumb.jpg.91447d3fac90158bdcb0bb4ce98700de.jpg

An UP pipe is about 14-16 inches long...you really think a few heat sheilds are really going to make that much of a temp change under the hood? And for that matter make a difference? Those heat sheilds get hot as hell an put off plenty of heat. Have you seen the inside of a OEM LGT pipe? I tell you, my LGT UP was nothing to write home about. Take a look....at this crack. Found that many other members OEM up pipes looked like this. Now the STI Up...dunno...but it's made by Bosel. An "ok" pipe.

Ouch... I hadn't seen a crack like that... mine was fine... the pipe is pre-turbo, you want to keep as much heat in the pipe as possible and let as little heat out in to the engine bay as possible... It's not just exhaust flow that spins the turbine..

Originally Posted by Han'sGT http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

An UP pipe is about 14-16 inches long...you really think a few heat sheilds are really going to make that much of a temp change under the hood? And for that matter make a difference? Those heat sheilds get hot as hell an put off plenty of heat. Have you seen the inside of a OEM LGT pipe? I tell you, my LGT UP was nothing to write home about. Take a look....at this crack. Found that many other members OEM up pipes looked like this. Now the STI Up...dunno...but it's made by Bosel. An "ok" pipe.

I had the Bosal UP in my 06 LGT with a Cobb HFC Downpipe....Never had any problems running Stage 2+. No smell or temperature problems.....

I would say its better than an "ok" pipe, but thats just my opinion for what its worth.

^ by "ok" i mean it's OEM quality. Just take a look at the other sh*t that comes off the car...the up, dp (with blank plate over the wastegate :rolleyes:) and the oem cbe...guezzus what a POS that piping is. If it's one thing auto manufactures are driven by its cost. Aftermarket is you chance to improve your parts. The Invidia is shiny which maybe fools me, TIG welds, has thick flanges and the bends are smooth. I know compared to the OEM Up it's like night and day. At the end of the day it's a short little pipe. Any one of them is going to do the trick. The performance difference are so insignificant you'll never feel a difference.

^ by "ok" i mean it's OEM quality. Just take a look at the other sh*t that comes off the car...the up' date=' dp (with blank plate over the wastegate :rolleyes:) and the oem cbe...guezzus what a POS that piping is.[/quote']

Wastegate is only open to bleed off boost... A blank plate is not hurting your exhaust flow. The biggest thing you would see is boost creep, and I doubt you'll see that on the tiny stock exhaust, back pressure will make sure of that. IMHO, the reason to replace the downpipe is to go with a wider diameter and to get the cat further away from the turbo.

If it's one thing auto manufactures are driven by its cost. Aftermarket is you chance to improve your parts. The Invidia is shiny which maybe fools me, TIG welds, has thick flanges and the bends are smooth. I know compared to the OEM Up it's like night and day. At the end of the day it's a short little pipe. Any one of them is going to do the trick. The performance difference are so insignificant you'll never feel a difference.

That's what I don't understand... I'm not going to pay for bling on a hidden uppipe that does no better than a stock STI part, but that's just me.

^ by "ok" i mean it's OEM quality. Just take a look at the other sh*t that comes off the car...the up' date=' dp (with blank plate over the wastegate :rolleyes:) and the oem cbe...guezzus what a POS that piping is. If it's one thing auto manufactures are driven by its cost. Aftermarket is you chance to improve your parts. The Invidia is shiny which maybe fools me, TIG welds, has thick flanges and the bends are smooth. I know compared to the OEM Up it's like night and day. At the end of the day it's a short little pipe. Any one of them is going to do the trick. The performance difference are so insignificant you'll never feel a difference.[/quote']

I hear ya totally.....Shiny definitely gets me too, especially quality aftermarket CBE's ;)

im gonna go shiny - cobb dp & invidia up

on another note, my original question about a long road trip after the install is no longer an issue as i will be going stage 2 after the trip - King of Parts is doing the installs and i will post an update after its done

thanks for all the replies, especially the zip-tie diagram - very nice, very nice

wa da tah my damie

Archived