LegacyGT.com

Trunk release works poorly

Hi all, I'm new to the LGT forums, so hello to everyone! I traded in my old '93 Audi S4 for my car a couple of years ago and I am very happy with it. I find the car to be very similar to the UrS4 except that it starts every day. ;-)

Anyway I searched the forums pretty thoroughly for a similar problem but to no avail, so perhaps someone can help me.

I've got an '07 where the only way I can open the trunk is to pull up on the lid while either someone pulls up on the release handle or I am actively pressing on the release button on the keyfob.

I suspect that the release doesn't disengage fully. Another possibility might be that there's some kind of mechanism that is supposed to lift the lid past the latch and it's broken--something simple like a spring or rubber pad? Either way, it's kind of a pain...does anyone know enough about this mechanism to help me troubleshoot it?

Thanks for any help!

Marc

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the forums! I have the same problem. I've been meaning to fix it for a while now, I just never seem to make it a priority.

I know what you mean! It took me three months of living with it to remember to look it up on this forum. ;-)

I have the same problem as well, I think it's either a broken clip somewhere that the cable attaches too or something, I have to keep pushing the keyfobthingiemajiger to open it. I don't plan on fixing it until I rip my interior apart and rewiring for new audio though :(

I just bought an 08 LGT and the trunk release was doing the same thing. Since this was a certified preowned subaru, I brought it back to the dealer to see what was wrong. The problem is that the trunk release cable is at its maximum extension and cannot release the trunk anymore. My issue is covered by Subaru, and I am getting a loaner car for the day for free tomorrow since most of the interior has to come out for this repair to be completed. I will let you know when I get my car back tomorrow if in fact this is a known subaru problem and if it is still covered on your 07.

I figure its routed under the carpet from the handle under the seat and follows the driveline tunnel to under the back seats. Then enters the trunk and goes around the spare tire to the trunk latch. The service manager said that this is an all day job, which doesn't surprise me. I will ask for more information tonight when I drop off my car.

The dealer I dealt with at Exeter Subaru (NH) said that he had never seen anything like this ever in his 12 years of being at Subaru. It is, however, being paid for by Subaru with a free 2011 Leggy for the day (minus gas). My car is not covered under warranty anymore, but this was covered by Subaru since it is a manufacturers defective part. I did also tell him that there was buzz on here about this issue, and that was when he told me he had never seen this before. Best bet is to go to Subaru and see what they say about it. Your problem sounds exactly like how my trunk was acting.

Thanks for the follow-up, I will likely have to go down the same road with my local dealer. After your car is fixed, may I ask you to please let me know what they had to replace or adjust? I'm mystified as to the source of the problem.

Thank you again!

The cable had to be replaced because it was at its maximum extension and i guess had too much slack due to overuse to be able to release the trunk latch. When I originally brought the car there, they attempted to adjust the mechanism but the cable was past its limit. It is sort of like when you play with a rubber band too much and over time it gets super stretched out and doesn't retain its original elasticity. Maybe in your case there can just be a simple adjustment or you would need to get it replaced like I did, but only the dealer or someone who knows a shit ton about subaru trunk cables would know.

This is what has been going on with my trunk, and what I found out about it today:

When I first bought the car (year and a half ago) the trunk release worked fine, but about 3 months after I bought it I noticed it was only working intermittently and then not at all.

Today after playing around with it and having someone stay at the trunk I found that the cable does release the trunk, but after about 3 seconds it relatches itself. The remote still pops the trunk no problem, but if I want to open the trunk with the inside release I either need someone standing right at the trunk when I pull the release or try to run back and open it myself.

Seems like whatever mechanism pulls the cable for the release slowly puts itself back in the latched position. Is that a stretched cable or a faulty release mechanism?

welcome to the forum and theres a very simple fix for the problem youre experiencing...

buy a wagon!

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

LOL! I love the three second theory. I'de be willing to compete in a contest with other LGT owners with this problem. Only I'de lose for sure. It takes me about 30 seconds just to get out of the car. I have a 08 LGT and my interior trunk release has never worked twice in a row. It just gets worse. Now it may work 25% of the time. My thanks to everyone that posted this problem occuring with their Legacys. Now I'm going to make that appointment with the dealer to get it fixed. Thanks to all.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My 09 SpecB is a pain to get the trunk open too. The key fob is about useless, I normaly have to pull the cable release, then pull up on the trunk because the rubber seal has it held down. I guess stronger struts might help pop the trunk when you pull the cable.

I wonder if you spray the rubber seal with silicone if that would help the trunk pop up when you pull the cable ? That trick makes the windows go up/down easier.

As for wagons...I have ordered the plastic lock/unlock mechanism for my 05, $85.00 shipped, it should be here in a few days. The hatch would lock but not unlock.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...
Hey all! I just got a 2008 Legacy Limited and found out tonight that the remote control will not open the trunk. It will open and lock the doors but it will not open the trunk. I have to pull up the trunk release from the inside and then go back and pull up on the trunk. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks!

Hey all! I just got a 2008 Legacy Limited and found out tonight that the remote control will not open the trunk. It will open and lock the doors but it will not open the trunk. I have to pull up the trunk release from the inside and then go back and pull up on the trunk. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks!

Sounds like what my 05 wagon was doing. I ended up buying the whole $62 mechinism and only using the white plastic acturator. It's held on by 2 brass color screws. Works fine now. I should have updated this back in May.

Seems to be a normal problem the parts manager knew what I needed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounds like what my 05 wagon was doing. I ended up buying the whole $62 mechinism and only using the white plastic acturator. It's held on by 2 brass color screws. Works fine now. I should have updated this back in May.

Seems to be a normal problem the parts manager knew what I needed.

You had to pay? My problem was that the cable had stretched out too far and was covered 100% by the dealer. I had only had my car about a month tho

• 2 months later...
go to dealer, trunk cable will be replaced for free

Are you saying that the trunk cable will be replaced for free for ALL 2005-2009 Legacy sedan owners, or only if they are still under warranty?

Archived