LegacyGT.com

How long before I can wash and wax?

This is the first new car I’ve bought since 1992. Back then I had to wait a short period for the paint to cure before I could wash and wax it. Is this still the case or has technology advanced to the point that it’s unnecessary?

Duh, dark colors show dust immediately. Black is the worst color to own as a dd and try to keep clean/nice IMO. Just tragic. That being said, our lgt is rbp so... Dusty dark blue it is!

Very true, but it also looks hot as h.ll when it's clean and waxed.;)

There is no need to wait. The car was likely produced months ago, and the paint is baked on at the factory which pretty much nullifies the need to wait.

Exactly. Factory paint jobs were completed long before you bought it and were cured in a way that aftermarket paint is not. Now, if you get a panel repainted locally, then you should always ask how long before you can polish it. Different paints and painting methods will cure differently. The last thing you want to do is get a defective paint job and have the painter blame it on you waxing it before it was cured.

I spent several hours on my LGT the day after I bought it. Typically they don't get detailed very well by the dealership and I wanted to be the only one to work on the paint. That didn't stop them from putting one of their vinyl dealership stickers on the back, but whatever... Regal Blue is definitely an awesome color when it is shined up, but man was it a lot of work to keep looking that way... Like an idiot I bought a Honda Odyssey painted that color too. My wife had to have another son just so I knew I had the man power at home for all the detailing I'm going to need to do later on. lol

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Welcome to the Subaru clan by the way! If you ever find yourself down in the CNJ/NNJ Area stop by and say hi!

-mike

Thanks. I do get down that way now and then. There is a town near you that has Asian grocery stores. My wife loves to shop there. It's fun, but the fish stays in the cooler in the trunk.

Thanks for everyone's input. It will get washed once the snow stops.:rolleyes:

Archived