LegacyGT.com

Reuse pop-its

Just out of curiousity, I asked the stealer for a price on a pop-it for my fender well. $10.00. Seriously. F'n ridiculous for a little piece of plastic.

What I would like to know is how to remove them so they can be re-used. They seem to be designed to self-destruct when you remove them.

Any hints or help? TIA.

Just do it carefully - particularly when it's below-freezing out....

I've removed my front end and undertray countless times now, and I'm still using at least 75% of the original Pop-Its.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

just took the bumper off last weekend to put on a lip...be gentle when they're filled w/grime.

just have to pry up the middle, and use your fingers to pull them out

clean out the grime before trying to re-use..it'll make it way easier to put back in

oh, do i hate pop-its :spin:

sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes...well, he eats you

Doc and Malt - both great ideas! Thanks! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I bought some new ones from autozone for like 2 bucks for a pack of em. they are an off brand, but they work just fine. Would recommend going that route if you need new ones. You can reuse the ones you have if they arent broken though.
If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I bought a door panel remover at autozone for $10, looks like a dandelion puller (basically a flat head screwdriver with a "V" in it). Works perfectly, got the advice from a subaru tech when do a buddies trunk swap.

X2, makes removing any of those plastic clips/pop-its much easier and things break less. At $10 a pop to replace, the tool pays for itself immediately, lol.

:lol: $10.00 each? My dealer charged me $1. Perks of living in Canada?;)

Last time I was under their I sprayed a tiny bit of WD40 on the clip and let it soak for a few seconds. It really loosened up the the grime. I used a butter knife to pry it loose after that.

Update, today I saw an even better pop-it tool in use. It is shaped like pliers, but has two flat edges to grip the sides of the pop-its and pulls them as you squeeze. Makes short work of under covers, bumpers, etc. Can't for the life of me find a link for one though :D. Maybe I'll open a web store for pop-it and pop-it accessories. Sounds like the market is there lol.

^ I'll be your first (and most dedicated) customer. :lol:

I bought some new ones from autozone for like 2 bucks for a pack of em. they are an off brand, but they work just fine. Would recommend going that route if you need new ones. You can reuse the ones you have if they arent broken though.

What type did you get specifically? Autozone has tons of different types.

Hey, wait a minute. I see there are (at least) two types of pop-its. One has a phillips screw head and seems smaller. Do you just unscrew gently? But it's the other one I need, the larger one. I need to connect the panals of my wheel well after that mud flap (?) came off. I don't know what it is because it's on the FRONT of the wheel well, whereas a mudflap would be on the rear.

door panel tools aka panel poppers are your friend when it comes to popits.

mine looks exactly like this less the red handle (mine's black)

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=683

I've ruined 0 pop-its since I got my car and most of them are 5 years old...

use a small screwdriver to lift the center section just high enough to slide the pop tool in there and wahLA!

oh, as far as replacing them, I've not really had much trouble with the generic ones from o'reilly's... some are a bit too snug/loose but just take your old busted one in and you should be able to find the right size...

GM pop its also work. I lost one and had an extra from my SUV and it worked. My dealerships, Subaru and GMC, gave me a few for free. That sucks they tried to charge you.

Tell me about it. Guy even had the nerve to turn the computer screen around so I could see the price list.

Tell me about it. Guy even had the nerve to turn the computer screen around so I could see the price list.

I bought 5 of the ones like hold the engine cover and never asked the price. I also was getting an oil filter and a banjo bolt and the service guy threw on a 10% discount. I think the whole thing with PA tax was a little over $35. This means he didn't give away the pop-its but they were within the realm of what I thought was reasonable. However the next time I need more I'll go the Autozone route.

I just came across the receipt. Regular price: $2.55 ea. With discount, $2.30.

I bought 5 of the ones like hold the engine cover and never asked the price. I also was getting an oil filter and a banjo bolt and the service guy threw on a 10% discount. I think the whole thing with PA tax was a little over $35. This means he didn't give away the pop-its but they were within the realm of what I thought was reasonable. However the next time I need more I'll go the Autozone route.

Lucky you! But the guy never said what specific type he bought at autozone-they have a gazillion of them. And you KNOW the salesguy doesn't have a clue.

• 2 months later...
Hey, wait a minute. I see there are (at least) two types of pop-its. One has a phillips screw head and seems smaller. Do you just unscrew gently? But it's the other one I need, the larger one. I need to connect the panals of my wheel well after that mud flap (?) came off. I don't know what it is because it's on the FRONT of the wheel well, whereas a mudflap would be on the rear.

i am missing a total of the 4 you are talking about. I have one left on each side of the wheel well. did you end up getting replacements?

Archived