LegacyGT.com

Third brake light housing removal

GloriousDay5996

i own a 2005 LGT sedan, and unfortunately, it has a dealer-installed spoiler. the third brake light in the back window reflected off the spoiler, thus marring my nightime rearward vision every time i braked. consequently, i disabled the third brake light in the rear window (the spoiler has brake-activated LEDs, so i'm still legal). i would really like to remove the old third brake light housing, but i'm not sure what i can do about the massive, gaping hole it will leave behind my backseat. any suggestions? thanks.

i own a 2005 LGT sedan, and unfortunately, it has a dealer-installed spoiler. the third brake light in the back window reflected off the spoiler, thus marring my nightime rearward vision every time i braked. consequently, i disabled the third brake light in the rear window (the spoiler has brake-activated LEDs, so i'm still legal). i would really like to remove the old third brake light housing, but i'm not sure what i can do about the massive, gaping hole it will leave behind my backseat. any suggestions? thanks.

How did you disable the 3rd brake light? I tried looking in the manual but of course it says refer back to your local subaru dealer. I'm just going to disable mine and tint over it :lol:

I have removed the rear tray before, when I removed the center seat belt and added STi grilles for acoustic purposes (but obviously the Bling factor is big part, too)... Anyway... I have experience removing and modifying the rear deck tray... It's not difficult to get out... a little bit challanging manuevering it in and out.... but cutting it is kind of a b**ATCH, since it is made of a mixture of fiberglass and cardboard-like materials. I hacked mine before I had a dremmel, so I used exacto kinves... It worked great, but I was so friggn' itchy from the fiberglass!

Anyway... back to my point, I will be taking it out again soon... I now have a third brakelight in my CF lip spoiler :icon_wink I now want to remove the plastic housing completely and ad another mesh-like grille or a carpet cover to the open space where the housing sits.

If there is any interest... I will take pictures and do a walkthrough of the procedure for taking it out and modifying it!

-Mark

I have removed the rear tray before, when I removed the center seat belt and added STi grilles for acoustic purposes (but obviously the Bling factor is big part, too)... Anyway... I have experience removing and modifying the rear deck tray... It's not difficult to get out... a little bit challanging manuevering it in and out.... but cutting it is kind of a b**ATCH, since it is made of a mixture of fiberglass and cardboard-like materials. I hacked mine before I had a dremmel, so I used exacto kinves... It worked great, but I was so friggn' itchy from the fiberglass!

Anyway... back to my point, I will be taking it out again soon... I now have a third brakelight in my CF lip spoiler :icon_wink I now want to remove the plastic housing completely and ad another mesh-like grille or a carpet cover to the open space where the housing sits.

If there is any interest... I will take pictures and do a walkthrough of the procedure for taking it out and modifying it!

-Mark

yes, thanks, pics please:)

• 3 weeks later...

after i had the subie wing put on a long time ago i had the same idea to dump the third brake light.

i removed the housing and scanned it to get the outline.

then i realized to get the light socket and wire out i would have to remove the lower seat and seat back. it wasn't worth it.

here's the scan. you'll have to rescale it.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/423426/backlightweb.jpg

Taking the seats out is only a matter of pulling the rear seat bottom up from each side (EASY) and then removing four bolts (12, 13 0r 14mm)... then lifting the rear seat backs up and off of the hooks it is held in place with...

NOTE--- UNLATCH and pull forward your armrest and passthrough door before trying to lift the seatback off of the hooks. Otherwise you'll get pissed off and frustrated for a while (like I did) before you figure out why the damn seats won't come off!

The trickier part of removing the rear deck involves the removal of the rear pillar trim covers... which I'll need to revisit before I mention how to do it! Once they are out...

There are some blue plastic popits (whatever they are called) that pop out with the entire rear deck assembly.... after they ar popped out, the rear deck lid will move about enough so that you can wiggle it around enough to unfasten the plastic trim around the center seatbelt coil and then thread the seatbelt through the slit in fiberboard, in order to pull the rear deck lid out... remember there are wires connected to the light housing which need to be unfastened when you are pulling it out!

• 6 months later...
The trickier part of removing the rear deck involves the removal of the rear pillar trim covers... which I'll need to revisit before I mention how to do it! Once they are out...

YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMOVE THE DECK AT ALL!

Just push the brake light housing to the rear of the car and tip the front side of the housing upward! As simple as that!

I had my windows tinted and they didn't do around the third brake light -- looked very stupid -- so I removed my light and patched the undone area myself!:rolleyes:

• 10 months later...
YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMOVE THE DECK AT ALL!

Just push the brake light housing to the rear of the car and tip the front side of the housing upward! As simple as that!

I had my windows tinted and they didn't do around the third brake light -- looked very stupid -- so I removed my light and patched the undone area myself!:rolleyes:

I am glad I am not the only one tired of the redundant 3rd brake lights with the factory spoiler. My LGT is white, so when I hit the brakes, I get a red reflection back into the car. It sux. I am going to disable my light, and try some sort of removal. If all goes well I'll post pics, unless someone can forward me to someone else who has.

I am glad I am not the only one tired of the redundant 3rd brake lights with the factory spoiler. My LGT is white, so when I hit the brakes, I get a red reflection back into the car. It sux. I am going to disable my light, and try some sort of removal. If all goes well I'll post pics, unless someone can forward me to someone else who has.

As I recall =-= when I had mine out, you could just unplug it...

I agree that the reflection from the brake light in the window was quite annoying at night. I followed the wire all the way to the harness, and there was no plug, so I just removed the bulb.

I'll be tinting my windows next week, I'll make sure I move the brake from it's hole so it's at least hidden from the outside now.

Archived