LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay TSB Now Available

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Someone stickie this! :)

Thanks for the update! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

C'mon guys....everyone knows where to find these documents online!

TheL7.com

From reading the bulleting listed there, if your car was built before May of 2006 and the last 6 digits of the VIN are prior to the VIN's listed you can get an updated realy if your car has the constant fan issue....

I have to wonder if it would it be more cost effective for Subaru to replace the relays before damage is caused and avoid replacing so many ECMs? :rolleyes:

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. But I think the thing is.. its an isolated problem. I know MANY people without this problem.

If everyone needed the new relay, it would be a recall, not a TSB.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I have to wonder if it would it be more cost effective for Subaru to replace the relays before damage is caused and avoid replacing so many ECMs? :rolleyes:
I wondered the same thing. Why didn't Subaru initiate a service campaign to replace those defective relays before they fried more ECUs? The ECUs in the US are covered by an 8yr/80,000mi Federal Emissions Extended Defect Warranty.

;703124']I wondered the same thing. Why didn't Subaru initiate a service campaign to replace those defective relays before they fried more ECUs? The ECUs in the US are covered by an 8yr/80' date='000mi Federal Emissions Extended Defect Warranty.[/quote']

Yea, it seems like something Subaru would have the dealers swap out as customers brought their cars in for service. That'd be expensive, but replacing the ECU as well would be even more expensive, I'd think.

I looked through the vacation pix, but couldn't find a schematic diagram of the main cooling fan relay to see how they diode protected the ECU from the relay. I should try and find the relay and look up the supplier part number on it to see if I can find a data sheet for it. We may be able to get the new relay in the aftermarket for a "piece-of-mind" fix.

Ford had huge issues with what they called the CCRM (constant control relay module) - basically four or five relays in a box that was riveted shut. I had one relay in that box literally melt - I drilled out the rivets, replaced the relay with an uprated one and got my A/C working again for $5. Don't even get me started about relay failure on old BMWs or Jeeps - relays are mechanical, so they fail a lot, and use a lot of power to activate, which can damage other electronic components when the relays fail.

I'll let everyone know if I can find the darn relay and work something out.

-Ryan

Ok, I found the page in the vacation pix that provides some more info; look at 08 - Engine / Cooling System / 02 - Radiator Fan System page 1.

You can see how the ECM hooks into the coil of the Main Fan Relay 1 (at pin B7 on the Main Fan Relay 1) - I bet that's where the diode was replaced with a resistor. I'll keep poking to find more info.

-Ryan

just so everyone knows, the TSB is not in the Canadian system yet. I just faxed a copy to my dealer.

as for the relay, PN 82501AG120 doesn't exist in the dealer system yet. it is available if they call Subaru Canada and special order it. The part is ~$15CND.

I'm hoping the old relay hasn't damaged my new ecu.... for $15 I'm not taking a chance.

Archived