LegacyGT.com

Best spark plugs?

Hi guys kinda a multi question post

What spark plugs should I use when i go to replace them shortly Thinking NGK Iridiums or V or G Power (what's the difference?)

Ill do them when I do the MSD coil upgrade with FX61 leads which I believe to be the right ones?

Will I notice much of a difference if i did MSD coil,leads and plugs and possibly Intake spacers

Thank you for any help in advance

Will I notice much of a difference if i did MSD coil,leads and plugs and possibly Intake spacers

NGK platinums are usually sufficient & yes, you will notice the difference from the MSD coil right away from the sound of start up. Reset your ECU before installing it though. The intake spacers keep the intake air as cool as possible & yes, they do work. I have a set from Grimmspeed & they do my EJ22 justice.

If ur car doesn't come with oe iridiums then don't put iridiums. Just a waste of 7$ea. Ngk g power is platinums and v power I believe is resistor/copper cheapies but goodies. Def better than autolites. In my car I run Denso platinum tt. Runs great with my all stock setup lol

NGK platinums are usually sufficient & yes, you will notice the difference from the MSD coil right away from the sound of start up. Reset your ECU before installing it though. The intake spacers keep the intake air as cool as possible & yes, they do work. I have a set from Grimmspeed & they do my EJ22 justice.

when you say 'reset' do you mean disconnect the battery or clear the codes its an OBD 1 system

when you say 'reset' do you mean disconnect the battery or clear the codes its an OBD 1 system

Both.

You can clear the ECU by disconnecting the negative cable from the battery & stepping on the brake pedal a few times (15-20).

When you plug in the negative cable & start the car, it should automatically jump to 1500-2000rpms & work it's way down.

Ok another question, Im thinking of doing the grounding mod

making up my own kit

what gauge wire should I use?

should i just replace the original wires back to the original position or ground to a central point?

Any other areas i could ground that may help?

Thanks for any help

Ok another question, Im thinking of doing the grounding mod

making up my own kit

what gauge wire should I use?

should i just replace the original wires back to the original position or ground to a central point?

Any other areas i could ground that may help?

Thanks for any help

if youre not going to use 8G or better i wouldnt really bother. i also would at least clean the original grounding points and maybe replace with a heavier gauge before adding extras. this is all hindsight, since i already did the grounding mod and had very weak results, operation-wise.

if youre not going to use 8G or better i wouldnt really bother. i also would at least clean the original grounding points and maybe replace with a heavier gauge before adding extras. this is all hindsight, since i already did the grounding mod and had very weak results, operation-wise.

there is a upgrade on youtube called the big 3 or something it is mainly oriented to get the maximum performance of your alternator for your sound system. It mainly is replacing your original battery and alternator grounds to 0 gauge wire. I am gonna do that on my wrx swapped legacy and then work towards adding additional grounds

I did the grounding mod. I bought my kit from broknindarkagain a while back. I noticed an improvement. It's a good mod to do if you want to run a big sound system. I put two subs in my SS and the system would cut out because the ground was insufficient. Once I ran two more ground lines it worked again.

The window tweeters are great! I also installed Pioneer coaxials. They are great for the price.

NGKs all the way. NGK v-power for the 22T!

i agree, if youre going to power your sound in the car you need to do some mods to the grounding as well as use 4g+ for the amps. i wish i could put a better sound system in my car, but as it is i have the original subaru cassette player in mine. that wont be able to change for a while, too many other projects that are draining my cash flow. like 3 teenagers.

If you're going to go through the trouble of a grounding mod, may I suggest going all the way and just do the big 3 mod. As the book says: Half measures availed us nothing.

Use welding cable, It's better and cheaper.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

• 1 month later...

Another question, what leads will I need to do the MSD coil, a part number would be helpful

The engine is a Phase 1 2.2 with the part number RC-FX49 thats the leads on it now with the end that goes above the head not into it,

Thank you for any help that can be offered

Happy New Year!

Another question, what leads will I need to do the MSD coil, a part number would be helpful

The engine is a Phase 1 2.2 with the part number RC-FX49 thats the leads on it now with the end that goes above the head not into it,

Thank you for any help that can be offered

Happy New Year!

Here is a link to a walk through on a phase 1 2.2 that does not use a donor harness. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/msd-coil-into-subaru-step-step-photos-152338.html?p=3216418 It's been over 2 years with no problems. You will need new plug wires since the MSD coil uses a different spark plug wire size.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived