LegacyGT.com

5eat trans

Just wanted to say that I HATE the LGT 5eat! :spin:

So I've owned the LGT since 05 and I SWEAR of the MANY things I love about our cars... I can't STAND that lazy ass auto/manual shift! I can't even COUNT how many times screwing around I've slammed the trans off the rev limiter in that awkward spot, because the damn car doesn't shift when I TELL IT TO! Physical shift... 2 seconds later the ACTUAL shift! :mad:

Venting :rolleyes:

Look on the brightside, it took you like 8 years to vent :)

Means I've got like 7.75 to go, lol.

But yeah, the actual delay from input to engagement leaves a little to be desired.

What are you doing that you hit rev limiter that much?

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

Look on the brightside, it took you like 8 years to vent :)

Means I've got like 7.75 to go, lol.

But yeah, the actual delay from input to engagement leaves a little to be desired.

What are you doing that you hit rev limiter that much?

:lol: Man... drives me nuts!

And USUALLY racing someone else or just hitting it flat out for fun :cool:

Look on the brightside, at least you don't have an '05 and not an '08/'09 so you can eventually slap an upgraded valve body on there. 08/09 guys are SOL.

Yea I'll have to take a look into this...

Makes me also wonder if this weird 2nd to 3rd gear shudder at weird spots in acceleration is related to said "Valve body"

The only gears that come up quickly are 1st and 2nd. This suggests user error. It's a family sedan not a performance car. Even the manual tranny is a POS. The nice thing about the subi auto tranny is it seems to run forever.

If you're pushing the car in manual mode at 6K select the next gear, it seems to figure itself out. Best of luck.

The only gears that come up quickly are 1st and 2nd. This suggests user error. It's a family sedan not a performance car. Even the manual tranny is a POS. The nice thing about the subi auto tranny is it seems to run forever.

If you're pushing the car in manual mode at 6K select the next gear, it seems to figure itself out. Best of luck.

100k miles and 8 years of driving the vehicle... I can assure you it's not "User error" (Well most of the time at least) :lol:

But for the sake of argument... Lets assume for a moment it WAS a 5-6 speed manual... The DIFFERENCE is between this shitty Auto/manual crap this car comes with, the shift point stalls from shifter input... Therefore, if running the car to max rpm for maximum gear length, you have to almost GUESS when the shift is needed, and hope it engages prior to smacking off the rev limiter... Now to compare: If I where driving an ACTUAL manual shift vehicle, upon the physical depression of the clutch, and backing off throttle for shift transition (Generic situation) Everything stops when I tell it to, until I push the next gear in, and back on throttle. Now of course there's issues with quick shifts and blowing the gear from time to time if done to quickly and not fully engaged, so it's not a perfect system, but my point is, is that the auto/shift feature... BLOWS!!! I've even driven much shittier cars like an altima with the same type of design in shifting and it engaged the SECOND I asked for it... I just wish the subaru was like that, thats all

100k miles and 8 years of driving the vehicle... I can assure you it's not "User error" (Well most of the time at least) :lol:

But for the sake of argument... Lets assume for a moment it WAS a 5-6 speed manual... The DIFFERENCE is between this shitty Auto/manual crap this car comes with, the shift point stalls from shifter input... Therefore, if running the car to max rpm for maximum gear length, you have to almost GUESS when the shift is needed, and hope it engages prior to smacking off the rev limiter... Now to compare: If I where driving an ACTUAL manual shift vehicle, upon the physical depression of the clutch, and backing off throttle for shift transition (Generic situation) Everything stops when I tell it to, until I push the next gear in, and back on throttle. Now of course there's issues with quick shifts and blowing the gear from time to time if done to quickly and not fully engaged, so it's not a perfect system, but my point is, is that the auto/shift feature... BLOWS!!! I've even driven much shittier cars like an altima with the same type of design in shifting and it engaged the SECOND I asked for it... I just wish the subaru was like that, thats all

Sure, but there is a declining power profile after 5.5k so there are ZERO gains to be had.

Further more you're completely discounting the fact the auto has no boost drop off as you're able to remain WOT. Yes you could flash your car to allow for flat foot shifting but it would be pointless. The 5sp tranny is also horrible in feel and gating.

I think this entire debate gets rather stupid beyond here. It's a family sedan. Take it to the track and the entire car is a pile of crap. Pushing this car hard in anything but straight line is pointless.

Sure, but there is a declining power profile after 5.5k so there are ZERO gains to be had.

Further more you're completely discounting the fact the auto has no boost drop off as you're able to remain WOT. Yes you could flash your car to allow for flat foot shifting but it would be pointless. The 5sp tranny is also horrible in feel and gating.

I think this entire debate gets rather stupid beyond here. It's a family sedan. Take it to the track and the entire car is a pile of crap. Pushing this car hard in anything but straight line is pointless.

Your perspective is entertaining. And I hear ya on most points.

Ohh yea and regarding the rpm range I totally agree with ya, and thats what drives me up the freaking wall, I can slap a shift dead on 5500 and STILL run the chance of slapping the rev limiter, its just SOOOOO lazy! ha...

And I'm surprised you dislike the manual so much... My roommate had one, and I QUITE liked the feel and performance of it. To each there own I suppose, and I don't run my car like this outside of intermittently, and do understand the reality of it being a spirited sedan :)

Appreciate the dialogue no less

Valve Body + leave it in sport mode instead of full manu-matic mode would likely make you much happier.

I think I would ABSOLUTELY agree.

Dude, I almost barely use the manual option, and when I do, I remember why I don't! :lol:

And I actually quite like the "Sport" option... to be honest, I think the only times I've really ever popped into the manual option is when I didn't want to per say "Wait" for the overdrive to kick, and I want to get moving quick under torque, and throw a downshift.

IceCold81, you are a maniac!

what is your car?

stock

stage1

stage2

mileage?

your tranny is on it's way out either way

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Your perspective is entertaining. And I hear ya on most points.

Ohh yea and regarding the rpm range I totally agree with ya, and thats what drives me up the freaking wall, I can slap a shift dead on 5500 and STILL run the chance of slapping the rev limiter, its just SOOOOO lazy! ha...

And I'm surprised you dislike the manual so much... My roommate had one, and I QUITE liked the feel and performance of it. To each there own I suppose, and I don't run my car like this outside of intermittently, and do understand the reality of it being a spirited sedan :)

Appreciate the dialogue no less

Rob-2 is just butthurt because the LGT doesn't have to rev to 10k to build power like a honda. Honestly... How many posts have you made complaining about the same three things?

If he owned a manual, he might be able to complain. Then again, if he owned a manual, he may realize that the LGT steers through the gas pedal. I agree, driving an auto on a track is kinda dumb.

That said, LALGT and Drift Motion are both doing extremely well tracking their cars. YOU have a family sedan. Other people whom have spent some time tweaking their cars have much more than that. You are what is known as a Debbie Downer- your comments continuously detract from every thread.

Seriously, go buy your Acura.

Ever since upgrading my LGT with a HexMods Valve Body, I only use manual mode for warming the car up (I cold shifts are rough) and for logging/tuning. I just let is shift by itself in Sport Mode or Drive, and I am as happy as a clam. Sell the car or set it up the way you like it.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Yea I'm at that point where I'm deciding whether to keep it or consider a replacement sometime in the future... Thats where the major decision for "Tweaking" is right now... I think I'll probably be keeping the car for AT LEAST another 2 years, and I've NEVER kept a car this long! :lol:

I like your perspective! :cool:

Is it really relatively easy to swap a 5eat to 5mt on my gen?

It is a 10 out of 10 in difficulty. If you can do that, you can probably do anything. I'm sure someone else will say it's really not that hard. Well... name something harder. That said, most things are bolt-on. Custom wiring and good trouble-shooting ability will be required. It's one of those things where if you even have to ask, you really shouldn't do it. And you'll still have to have a custom trans brace made.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived