LegacyGT.com

stainless exhaust polishing

Hiya folks. I've got an SPT v2 stainless exhaust and today, based on some searching from Google, I use Bar Keeper's Friend on it, available at the local Wallymart for about $1.89. It took off all the yellowing on my tips and and removed a bunch of soot. Overall, a very nice job.

HOWEVER... (there's always a drawback), there are some very, very fine scratches on the mirror finish. They're not noticeable from more than 1.5 feet away, but up close, you can see the swirls.

Any tips for getting rid of those?

No way that I've found. Getting swirls out of stainless steel is like...well... getting swirls out of stainless steel. Not much you can do about them from my experience.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

No way that I've found. Getting swirls out of stainless steel is like...well... getting swirls out of stainless steel. Not much you can do about them from my experience.

We asked, the detailing god has answered, it is decidedly so. Good to know we should not get OCD about it :p.

Any particular stainless cleaner you like to use?

but there's gotta be a way. after all, it had to be polished at the factory to a mirror finish!

or is it something ridiculous that can only be done at the factory using some expensive machinery? if so... damnit :(

btw, BKF is amazing. i bought it initially to fix a stainless steel pot that i had accidentally burnt badly. then i used it on the exhaust and it was amazing.

Let me rephrase it... There are ways to polish stainless steel, but not with anything I've used. I've seen kits for it out there, but I haven't had many requests to completely polish out stainless steel. Most of the time Eagle One Never Dull works for me. I've also got a few Wolfgang aluminum polishes and metal sealants which do a fine job.

What I would do is google 'stainless steel polishing' and see what you can find. More than likely you will find a good kit for about $20 or $30 bucks. You are going to need a drill since I believe most of these kids will have drill attachments for use with their polishes. You can't do this kind of thing by hand for sure. If you find one that works well, then let me know. I'd love to polish out the swirls on my pipes on my bike. But like I said, I just don't get any requests for this kind of thing, so it is an area I haven't delved into very much.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I have been using a German made metal polish for many years called Flitz.

http://www.flitz.com

I originally used it on my knife collection but have since discovered it's uses on fiberglass and SS components.... I especially like it since it appears to provide protection longer than Brasso, Meguiares, Mothers, etc. It can be a bit hard to find and pricey but a large tube will last you years if you don't use it every week....

My .02...

I polished metal at a custom shop all throughout my teen years.

Stauinless is a pain to polish and much more effort than aluminum but it's worth it when done correctly.

I'd suggest taking it to a metal polishing shop in your area and he could have it done in probably an hour. I'm talking the whole exhaust if he doesn't have to do any sanding...

Search for a chrome plating shop in your area, or call up some custom motorcycle shops and see if they have a guy.

Archived