LegacyGT.com

Door Handle Loose/broke

ChubRock

I have what I think is the same problem you are talking about only on the drivers' side door. My handle pops out at the bottom when I pull on it to close the door when sitting in the drivers' seat.

I have done a search on this forum and found that evidently there is a cover that has to be removed first to expose the screws. On a quick look at it when the bottom pops out, it appears that a plastic piece is cracked but I won't know for sure until I figure out how to get the cover off. If the piece is cracked, I guess I'll have to order an entire plastic frame/skeleton for the handle.

I haven't yet tried to fool with it but when I do, I'll report back.

If you want to try it first (assuming you have the same issue), here is the thread that pertains to taking the entire door panel off but shows the first steps as removing that handle:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/door-panel-removal-sound-deadening-install-pics-20069.html?t=20069

As I look around the internet trying to find the part number if I need it, I ran into this illustration that may help:

http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives/trim/door_panels/Subaru/Outback_2007/remove_dp_07_Outback.html

There are three clips that hold the cover onto the handle itself.

http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives/trim/door_panels/Subaru/Outback_2007/dpsuob10a_Subaru_Outback_2003.jpg

If it turns out that I need that plastic handle (not the cover), does anybody know the part number or where I can get the part number? As it looks now, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need the handle assembly as I think mine is cracked.

Richard, thanks for all the posts. Yes I have the same issue as you are describing. On my Driver door only the bottom cover comes off, the handle it self seems pretty sturdy.

However, on the passenger door the whole thing comes loose (I believe). So I may have to tighten a screw you say? Possibly get another cover for that one as well.

I would love to play with it but it is getting far too cold for me to tinker with outside. Perhaps in the summer I will look at it more, or if we get another nice 50 degree day again here in the Mid-Atlantic.

Please keep me posted if you play with it some more.

Well, I've finally had a chance to fool with it a bit (I too was waiting for a break in the freezing weather).

These are my findings so far: I was able to get the cover off. It was a hassle to get the cover off and I did manage to put a few scratches in the panel as it didn't come off immediately following the directions given --twisting counterclockwise while pushing upward-- so I had to do some prying but even with putting a towel between the panel and the screwdriver, I still put scratches in the panel somehow.

Once the cover was off, I then removed the upper and lower screws and removed the handle itself. I determined that my pull handle is cracked through at the bottom. I will have to purchase the the hard plastic handle as I don't think it is repairable. Superglue or any other type of adhesive will not do the trick as it is hard plastic and will be under a lot of stress as the door is pulled closed multiple times.

I now have to find the part number for this or hopefully be able to describe it correctly to a dealer's parts department.

Your issues: if your on your drivers' door, only the cover comes off, then it is probably missing one of the clips ...the bottom clip that holds the cover on the handle. I'm not sure if you can order just the clip or not; probably not. I'm thinking you'll have to order the entire cover. However, you may be able to use glue or a cement on the bottom portion where the clip fits as the cover isn't under that much pressure as you pull the door closed.

On your passenger side, it sounds as if you have the same problem as I have on my drivers' side. The handle itself is cracked at the bottom. Just tightening a screw is not going to solve anything. My screws were in solid.

Again, does anybody happen to know the Subaru part number for the handles?

Chub, I've done some searching around on the internet of various Subaru parts vendors and although I still don't have an actual part number, I do see where the parts can be ordered online. One site had their parts labeled with a seemingly official-looking notation for the part designation so perhaps that will be what is needed to describe the parts to a parts counter should the parts be purchased in person or asked about over the phone*.

I have a 2006 Outback but I'm assuming that the parts will be identical?

Here's the illustration for the right side or passenger door:

http://www.trademotion.com/media/images/oe/collision/7/7523615.gif

This is the lowest priced online site I've found so far. Their price for the "Grip Handle" or #7 is $13.45 and $10.37 for the cover or #8.

Grip Handle at EZSubaruParts

Handle Cover at EZSubaruParts

* designation for the Grip Handle was "GRIP DR F B LH" for the left door and "GRIP DR F B RH" for the right door.

designation for the Handle Cover was "GRIP DR F A LH" for the left door and "GRIP DR F A RH" for the right door.

eta: the small metal clips aren't listed so it doesn't look as if they can be ordered separately.

Wow you've gotten much further than I have. I guess my main issue on the passenger side makes me a little less inclined to put it at the top of my list.

I am sorry to hear you had trouble with the removal. I remember when I went to put a flashy LED just under the handles we are now having issues with I had to remove the cover. It has never been the same since.

I do not understand how they can be so easily cracked for a part of the vehicle that gets so much daily stress.

Thank you for this information I will most likely order it soon so that it is slapping me in the face every day to fix it.

• 1 month later...

If you are still here, Chubrock, and you haven't yet tackled your door grip handle problem, I now have the Subaru part numbers:

The grip handle for the left side (driver side) is denoted as previously stated as GRIP DR F B LH and the part number is 94237AG11A

The grip handle for the right side (pass. side) is denoted as previously stated as GRIP DR F B RH and the part number is 94237AG10A

Yes, I am dumbfounded by the flimsiness of this plastic part for as you imply, it should withstand the rigors of the door being closed shut multiple times a day. Now that I know it will break as easy as it does, I will pull the door closed with care from here on out.

If you decide to order the covers here are the part numbers for those:

The cover for the left side (driver side) is denoted as previously stated as GRIP DR F A LH and the part number is 94237AG17A

The cover for the right side (pass. side) is denoted as previously stated as GRIP DR F A RH and the part number is 94237AG16A

You bet.

Theoretically, it shouldn't be difficult but as I stated previously, I did have a bit of trouble removing the handle cover. I think I was being a bit impatient with it because of the cold weather. However, if I had more time to leisurely do it in warmer weather or at least inside a garage, I think the cover would have come off as described in the instructions.

It sounds as if you will need the handle itself for the passenger side and only the cover for the driver side.

Your passenger side exhibits the exact same symptoms as did my driver's side so I am almost sure it's cracked off at the bottom. To remove the cover, rotate it slightly in a forward direction at the same time as pushing it upward and it "should" pop off exposing the handle itself. The handle is attached by two screws, one at the top and another at the bottom. Once those two screws are removed, the handle should come off with a bit of slight wiggling. The piece where the screw holes are located are indented a bit in a pocket.

If you want the place where I ordered the part online, let me know. However, if you shop around at the local dealers in your area, the part should only cost a few dollars more. Online, the vendors do show very good prices for parts like these but once the shipping cost is added in, they are almost the same price as you can get at the dealer. But if you want to save a dollar or two and have it delivered to your door, you might want to consider ordering it online.

Making a list of parts I need for my birthday in April. My Jeep will probably take up the majority of the list but this is on there. $21 total if I ship it as "will call" I live 20 mi from a dealer I got no problem picking it up to save $8 on shipping.

Ever get yours fixed?

Yes, finally received the handle and got it installed.

Total cost for my handle was a little over $23 shipped. The dealer closest to me has an online parts business but doesn't offer the will-call option. They have a bit of a racket going ...if I bought it from their parts desk in person, it would have cost about $25. Buying it on their website, it was priced at $12.65 but when they added shipping, it came to about $23 and some change.

I now pull the door closed very "daintily" as I know now that if I pull it closed in a normal fashion day after day, it will eventually break again. Or maybe it was just a bad batch of handles that were made and we just happened to get those as I haven't really heard of this being a problem on a widespread basis. I never really muscled the door shut either. Subaru doors are very easily latched into place so there is really no need to "SLAM" them closed with a lot of force.

If you have a regular front seat passenger (wife, etc.), be sure to caution them not to pull the door shut with force (day after day after day) as eventually, the handle might crack at the bottom again.

Archived