LegacyGT.com

What is this extra air filter?

There is this extra filter inside the airbox I removed and then put back in, I don't really notice much difference having it in or out. It was glued in. I searched the forums, nobody mentioned it what it does or is it really necessary to have it in?

IMG_1748.thumb.jpg.134b2533e592107d8023026275812f07.jpg

Ok, here is what I got on the BMW forums:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/66688-charcoal-filter-removal-step-step-w-pictures.html

According to this, the charcoal element is only there to catch any escaping hydrocarbons while the car is off and it's the California clear emmisions thingie so to hell with it.. :)

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachments/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/14494d1139084319-charcoal-filter-removal-step-step-w-pictures-m5-carbon-air-filters.jpg

Only North American cars have this, and only certain makes and models I guess..

Snapped this thing off with a screwdriver two weeks ago. Immediately noticed more pep on the low end. Finally got the correct answer as to why it was there in the first place. Thanks.

less restriction means more air flow which means more power, well thats what K&N says anyways :lol:

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Snapped this thing off with a screwdriver two weeks ago. Immediately noticed more pep on the low end. Finally got the correct answer as to why it was there in the first place. Thanks.

You get any CELs or other dash lights going off since then?

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

It was a lifesaver in my dads old car, so I'd never remove it from my car. A mouse chewed through the air filter in his old 4 runner so there was a big hole that could let all sorts of debris through, thankfully his car had that secondary filter too. While this may be a fairly rare incident, i like the idea of having a backup filter just in case the airbox is not closed properly or anything like that. Especially since I have a NA motor, I doubt I would see much performance increase from removing it.

Ok, here is what I got on the BMW forums:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/66688-charcoal-filter-removal-step-step-w-pictures.html

According to this, the charcoal element is only there to catch any escaping hydrocarbons while the car is off and it's the California clear emmisions thingie so to hell with it.. :)

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachments/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/14494d1139084319-charcoal-filter-removal-step-step-w-pictures-m5-carbon-air-filters.jpg

Only North American cars have this, and only certain makes and models I guess..

Thanks! First good answer I've seen today.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

It was a lifesaver in my dads old car, so I'd never remove it from my car. A mouse chewed through the air filter in his old 4 runner so there was a big hole that could let all sorts of debris through, thankfully his car had that secondary filter too. While this may be a fairly rare incident, i like the idea of having a backup filter just in case the airbox is not closed properly or anything like that. Especially since I have a NA motor, I doubt I would see much performance increase from removing it.

But checking the air filter is easier on a Subaru Legacy, than checking the oil. Pop the the 2 snap clips up and you can lift it out to see if it has to be replaced. I do it at least once a month.

But there is a slight increase in performance, I started to notice just now a few weeks later. I guess the ECU just learned the difference and compensated for it, it gets more airflow, and again..only in North America this thing is required, due to an overcomplicated law in California.

I'm glad everyone is comparing the M6's charcoal prefilter to the legacy's mesh screen, which is not a charcoal filter.

The M6's is a completely different filtering system, the legacy's have a screen to catch large debris before it gets stuck in the slats of the filter. You can remove it, it won't change much, maybe an extremely small increase in airflow, but if you already have it on the stock filter, just go get a replacement filter as they don't even come with one. Autozone's STP filters work great.

I'm glad everyone is comparing the M6's charcoal prefilter to the legacy's mesh screen, which is not a charcoal filter.

The M6's is a completely different filtering system, the legacy's have a screen to catch large debris before it gets stuck in the slats of the filter. You can remove it, it won't change much, maybe an extremely small increase in airflow, but if you already have it on the stock filter, just go get a replacement filter as they don't even come with one. Autozone's STP filters work great.

Completely different than what this thread is about. We are not discussing a screen...

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Just removed mine. I could smell fumes for a couple seconds after removing the filter.

For those who have removed it... Mine had a couple little rubber spacers on a couple sides. Without those I'm wondering if my filter won't fit as snugly. Anyone move the spacers to the housing?

The picture shows the stock filter with the glued pre-filter screen on it..... it's nothing special, my 09 2.5i SE didn't have a screen at all....

That is not a pic of a standard air filter. That is a pic of an additional filter that is not normally removable on some Legacys. Two separate filters.

For those who have removed it... Mine had a couple little rubber spacers on a couple sides. Without those I'm wondering if my filter won't fit as snugly. Anyone move the spacers to the housing?

Good observation, thought the same thing. No clue if it makes a difference or not, but I am going to cutout the charcoal mesh and put the frame for it back in. Peace of mind...

Let me know how that goes. My frame cracked in one place during removal.

My car felt a lot more responsive yesterday. I only drove around town so under 35, but I could still tell a difference.

It's not an air filter that's for sure and I tried to search for it to buy another, but I don't see it anywhere. By the way if anyone scared taking it out you can always glue it back in. Since not every car come with it, not even the same exact models I really doubt this really screwing up anything.

Let me know how that goes. My frame cracked in one place during removal.

Cut it out and threw frame back in, no difference whatsoever. Closely examined the charcoal filter, its definitely restrictive. Glad its outta there...

• 1 year later...

Archived