LegacyGT.com

2004 Outback "LL Bean" w/ in-dash 6 CD. Want aux in.

nulldev1ce

This model is the 2-DIN "P128" which has integrated cd changer. I want to wire up an aux-in for an iPod. Can I use the round 13-pin connector somehow, and if so, how? What's the pinout? Also, what is the small square-ish 8-pin connector next to it? Is that for OnStar (installed but currently deactivated?) Can I hack _that_ for audio in? Please please help...THANK YOU... -- MB

Heh yeah, if it was up to me, I'd gut and replace the whole thing with an aftermarket unit, but my mom's only had the car for a year and would prefer to preserve its stock stuff as much as possible. Also, the controls on the stock head unit are basic and therefore easy, whereas most new units have so many bells and whistles that you end up wrapping yourself around a bridge abutment while you're trying to find the pause button or whatever.

FYI, right after I posted that first note, I got the thing further apart -- separated the disc changer from the amp -- and lo and behold, it appears that the same ribbon cable gig is used here as in the 2005s. Therefore I just ordered Jazzy's daughterboard. :) Hooray! I sure as hell hope they didn't change the pinout, of course.

I can't find ANY documentation on that round 13-pin port. I gather that it is not the same thing as the Panasonic "System-up" port, which Crutchfield describes as a 13-pin _square_ connector, so that pricey quad-device adapter Panasonic makes is out of the question. But I'm through pursuing it since the ribbon cable discovery. Hey Jazzy do you do expedited shipping? ;)

Welcome to the forum by the way! let us know how it goes.

Thank you very much! Will do.

The 13 pin connector is for an external CD changer.

The pinout is described here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749402

I think they use a secret protocol to communicate with external units, so you would need to have a real external changer, and play a silent CD while hacking into the audio input wires for this to work...

Oh WOW is that a great thread. You would not believe how much googling I did and couldn't find that info.

As mentioned above, it looks like the ribbon cable passthru technique will do what I need, but it's nice to know that hacking the round connector _could've_ worked.

Thanks!

FYI, right after I posted that first note, I got the thing further apart -- separated the disc changer from the amp -- and lo and behold, it appears that the same ribbon cable gig is used here as in the 2005s. Therefore I just ordered Jazzy's daughterboard. :) Hooray! I sure as hell hope they didn't change the pinout, of course.

It'll be interesting to see if this works I think this'll be the first install in an 04... Jazzy is that the case?

It'll be interesting to see if this works I think this'll be the first install in an 04... Jazzy is that the case?
Yea - first attempt. I explained it's an experiment and he'll have to try at his own (or rather, his mom's I gather) risk, but apparently it has a 14 pin ribbon cable, so you never know...it might work fine. :iam:
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Yea - first attempt. I explained it's an experiment and he'll have to try at his own (or rather, his mom's I gather) risk, but apparently it has a 14 pin ribbon cable, so you never know...it might work fine. :iam:

That would be "she". ;) And I hereby report that...IT WORKS!

The take-apart and removal was a major pain (because of all the OnStar stuff in the way), but the guts of the radio/disc changer itself were similar to the other models that Jazzy's board works with. I posted pics (of just the radio) here: http://whoopis.com/misc/subaru-stereo/ Trim removal and whatnot was easy, thanks to the Crutchfield master sheet, which someone else on this forum posted, but I have also mirrored it at the link above. It does NOT address the OnStar crap, unfortunately, but see below for more info on that.

Anyway, Jazzy's board orientation (aux-in jack facing passenger's side) was the same as for the other known-compatible models, and there was plenty of room for it to sit between the disc changer and radio without impacting any other components. Routing the aux-in cable was a little tricky, but it just fits in a gap formed by the rear heat sink and the subwoofer plug.

The only scary moment was when we first tested the thing. I hooked up just the white radio plug + sub, which should've been sufficient, but nothing worked...no lights on the radio display, no buttons worked except power, and the only sound was a static hiss. We thought uh-oh...took it all apart again, removed the daughterboard, put it back together, but same thing happened. I thought I'd hosed the radio completely, but we decided that maybe the OnStar stuff was more critical that we'd thought, so we took the whole rig apart _again_ and put back the daughterboard, reinstalled and reconnected everything, and it all worked marvelously!

FYI: The OnStar sound/control/sensor (?) unit sits below the radio and is recessed to the rear of the big bracket/frame, and has two massive, difficult-to-disconnect wiring plugs side-by-side, as well as a tiny antenna-like wire on the right. The panel with the actual buttons sits in front of that, and disconnects easily. Then there is a big metal brick with what looks like a SCSI connector, along with a coax-type connector for another antenna -- I presume this is the GPS unit. That brick sits on top of the A/C unit, which in turn sits atop the disc changer, and the whole block of junk would NOT come out of the dashboard until the GPS unit's antenna was disconnected first. Even then it was a nasty tight fit, and we had to flex the A/C vents above the whole thing to get it out. And of course there is hardly any slack in any of the wiring, so you need a stubby Phillip's head screwdriver and an assistant to hold things in the air while you reach behind to disconnect cables and slice your knuckles on sheet metal. Last thing, which should've been obvious but we were too dumb to figure it out til it was too late, but put down a thick towel or chamois on the gearshift area, or the sharp metal edges narf up the trim. Sigh.

Anyway, we're thrilled. Thank you SO MUCH for making this mod! :)

Archived