LegacyGT.com

Radio resets itself

So here's a strange issue. A couple weeks ago I got in my car in the morning (07 Legacy 2.5i limited) and the radio was off. I pushed the button in to turn it back on and all of the settings and stations were reset to default! The car started just fine, so I am very confused. It did it again a few days later and again yesterday!

Now I know it's been VERY cold here lately (central NY), it was -5 yesterday morning. Maybe that could have something to do with it, but I would think it would affect how the car was starting.

Not sure if it would have anything to do with it, but about a month ago I drained the battery by accident when I forgot to shut my lights off at Sonic and was using the radio also. I got a jump from someone and it seemed to be ok.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the love/hate relationship we have with these cars. Mine hasn't done that in a few years. A couple of times last year the volume would change on it's own.

You'll find over the years the radio and heater have a mind of there own. My heater turns on the A/C sometimes and goes to recirculate by itself at different times without me touching it.

You'll get used to it. I have...you learn to say...stupid subaru.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I suspect that it's your battery. There are several threads here that discuss this. When it's cold, the OEM battery has a bad voltage drop during start up. The car will appear to start just fine, but the radio will lose its presets. Change out the battery with a good quality aftermarket battery and problem solved.

I went to Walmart 2 years ago and got a battery from there. It turned out to be one of the best one's on the market.

The batteris go by size. I think theres is a book with the batteries that tells you which to get. I think I paid like $80.00, can't remember.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Interesting. I checked with Advance Auto and Autozone and they both recommend group 35 (they could all use the same database, too).

Either way, tomorrow I'm going to go see my local battery shop. They usually have a few "blem" batteries they sell for much cheaper, but they are only blems because they can't sell them as new when they are past 1 year from manufacture, but either way, it's only $35. I'd much rather pay that than $90 or so. :)

He offered to install it for free, so if it doesn't fit right, I'll have him put a group 55 in it instead.

the stock battery is rated at 490 CCA, if i recall correctly

but yes most likely it is a battery issue like the others have mentioned. we were dipping into -20F so i ran into the same problem with my radio, thank goodness the engine still turned over though.

Got my new battery today. Obviously haven't had it long enough to confirm that the problem is fixed. The guy at the battery store offered to install it for free, so I wasn't going to stop him. I watched him do it and he had no trouble getting the group 35 in there, so that's what I got.

I'll try to remember to update in a couple weeks and see if I've had any more issues.

• 9 months later...

Archived