LegacyGT.com

05 Stock stereo reset

i ran into somethign strange this morning. frankly, it took me by surprised and scared me a little.

i was traveling this morning to go pick stuff up. had been on the road for approx 1.5 hours.

i had my GPS plugged into the ciggie lighter next to the ashtray. lights were on, heat was on, and i'd hit the "*" button on the clock display to brigten the dash lights.

the CD which is was playing is a burned CD. it started to skip, so i just popped it out and reloaded it.

the CD felt pretty warm in my hand.

seemed to play fine for a bit, and then the stereo reset. then was a pop, and i noticed that the stereo lights and the climate control display blinked out and came back on.

the CD tried to continue playing after, but i figured it was enough, and i turned to radio.

anyone have any ideas what's going on?

• 1 month later...
That's a really strange problem. I had something weird happen while driving for a long period with my GPS plugged in. For some reason my GPS kept rebooting every 5 minutes or so. I haven't used it in any other vehicles since then, so I can't really say if it is the fault of the GPS unit or the 12V power source.

I haven’t had this happen in my Legacy (yet!) but it sounds to me like a heat issue. I had similar things happen with my after-market HU in my Focus. The combination of the heat being on, the GPS’s extra draw, and the CD player going (those lasers generate a LOT of heat!) for an extended period of time is probably setting off the HU’s built-in overheating protection. The Leggy seems to generate a lot more heat in the center stack than other cars I’ve owned, you could bake in the little cubby on top!

I believe the plug under the stereo doesn't put out as much amperage as the one in the cubby. Seems to me I remember reading something in the manual about not plugging certain accessories in there... maybe with all the juice from the Factory HU/HVAC controls lowers the amps and it resets out of safety.......

just a thought.

Outlet beside front pocket: 80W or less

Outlets in center console and cargo area:

120W or less

• 10 months later...
To throw a monkey wrench into this problem.. I have the same issue. Its only on longer drives, never does it around town. But once it does it once it does it a bunch of times. Also I don't have a gps or anything plugged in. Not sure if its with the heat one necessarily, I'll pay more attention to that. The only thing I can put together is I have straight piped exhaust from the DP back.. Is that giving me extra heat to cause this? Also, I heard there was some recall on the stereo, could this be related?

Archived