LegacyGT.com

Need help with code P0457

I am continually getting a P0457 code (loose gas cap or gas cap is off). I can also smell gas outside the rear of the car when I stop. No signs of gas leaking around the fuel lines, and I've checked and there is no gas smell at the gas cap (I thought the gas cap wasn't sealing and killing the vacuum on the tank). Any ideas?

Yep it normally is a small evap leak and like Opie said, the best thing to do is have them smoke test it to see if there is a leak in some of the hoses. 2 months ago we had an outback that had some of the hoses chewed up by the local rodents or squirrels.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

It's already been the the dealership once! They pullled the P0457 code and I told them I could smell gas. They said the couldn't find any signs of leaks, cleared the code and sent me on my way.

If I request a smoke test, will they know what it is?

Yes because if there is a leak, they will see the smoke coming out of the system. They should have smoke tested it to begin with(if they have that equipment).
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I just re-checked, it is a gross leak, however, the diagnosis is for a fuel cap loose or off. The p0456 is a small evap leak.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Did you get that code resolved?

I got the same code driving home last night. Coincidentally, my low fuel light came on about the same time. I refueled this morning, tightened the cap and reset the ECU with my AccessPort. No code so far.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Try this before you spend any money. It's really easy. (This description for for tubo models, but the principles are the same for non-turbo.)

1) If you smell a faint gas smell, don't worry about where you THINK you smell it; we are going to look at the engine. So... Pop the hood and take off the engine cover. Trust me, you have nothing to loose.

2) Face the engine and look at the right hand side of your intake manifold. There are three little hoses that connect to metal tubes. The middle hose is an evap hose. The top and bottom hoses are fuel supply. Inspect the middle hose.

3) Follow the middle hose under the intake manifold with a flashlight and find small hose clamps that are tightened by Phillips-head screws. They easy to see.

4) Those little clamps are prone to vibrate loose. Make sure that they are secure.

Hint: Do this immediately after shutting down the engine and you MIGHT be able to hone in on the leak by smell and sight. Believe me, it you find the leak here, you won't believe you originally thought the smell was coming from the back of the car.

Caution: Don't go nuts and over tighten the clamps. If you find a loose one, you'll know it! Also, don't worry about resetting the code. It will go off after a few starts if you fixed the leak. I actually prefer to let the light turn off naturally.

Now use the money you saved and by yourself a nice dinner alone because I know no one would be seen with you in that nerdy Subaru! They don't understand. Good luck!

• 4 years later...

Any other causes for this code? I had my car smoke tested we didn't find any leaks. We even smoke tested that little hose in the middle on the right side Of

The engine. This is a tough one to figure out smh...

Any other causes for this code? I had my car smoke tested we didn't find any leaks. We even smoke tested that little hose in the middle on the right side Of

The engine. This is a tough one to figure out smh...

Are you smelling any gas?

My wife's balls are delicious.

Any other causes for this code? I had my car smoke tested we didn't find any leaks. We even smoke tested that little hide in the middle on the right side in the middle. This is a tough one to figure out smh...

• 2 weeks later...
Just so everyone is aware we found the reason for this code on my car. The gas tank had a small crack near the edge of the tank where the welding meets. we found this by smoke testing the car while it was about 5 feet in the air and seen smoke coming out near the tank. problem with this fix is its expensive and takes forever. you need to take off the control arms and sub frame to get to the tank. I found a tank at one of my local u pull its for $100 but all in all that code is gone now and I was able to pass inspection.

• 1 year later...

Hi

been an avid follower here and did not mean to hijack this post. but I have. a 2006 legacy with 255000 miles. I've been grtting the darned 0457 on/off in the past year during warmer and hot months. and this occurs like on for 4-5 days then off4-5 days and back on. anyway I am in Chicago with the cold frigid temp and I notcied it go has not been on for 1-2 months. so question - what is the problem with this? I did get a used Evap canister from junk yard last w

summer and replaced it but light would still come/ go as stated above. also I did get th code(0823?) for the neutral position switch and that was changed about the same time th 0457 stop coming on. I don't think these 2 parts are related as one is electrical and other is fuel. love to get your insight to this

thanks!

Mine ended up being a small leak in the weld on the gas tank. we had to lift the car up in the air and smoke the evap and finally after weeks of trouble shooting boost leaks and evap we seen it coming out of the gas tank.

Archived