LegacyGT.com

Rear air flap/dam in front of wheels...

Ha, just picked mine up. It's called the end cover.

Part numbers: Price on each:

end cover- 96054AG02A 35.53

Clips- 909130067 1.04x3= 3.12

Hope this helps you out.

haha I just ordered one of those too after hitting a truck tire that was laying accross the highway.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

New member here -- I have an 07 Outback and frequent subaruoutback.org (same ID) most of the time. But I too am having difficulty removing the end cover and was wondering if any one here has in fact taken it out.

In my case, I have removed the three pins at the back as well as the two parts of the large one underneath the rocker panel that holds the end cover to the rocker panel. I also removed one from the front of the wheel well liner where it goes behind the rocker panel. (This allows the liner to be pulled back to provide space to slide the end cover out of the rocker panel.)

Although the end cover is clearly loose, it can't be pulled out. It's catching on something inside the rocker cover plastic cladding ("spoiler").

Based on the photo here (http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=13338), there seems to be something at the upper left that goes into either the rocker panel or between it and the outer cladding, and it appears this might be some sort of latching mechanism -- it's certainly in the location that seems to be holding the otherwise loose end cover in. I don't have a new end cover to look at more closely.

If that extension is some sort of catch the how is it released? Does the rocker panel outer cladding have to be removed? Or perhaps the catch be released using a trim tool in some way(?).

Anyone with experience who can advise?

p.s. I appreciate that the Legacy and Outback have different lower body plastic cladding; however, the end covers have the same part number, so I presume they are held in the same way.

I'm sorry again....why do you think you need these ?

Do you think they give you a noticeable improvement in mpg.

Your better taking that money you spend on buy these and just put it in the gas tank.

I'll bet see the savings in the gas tank. I'm sure your mpg has dropped a noticeable amount that's why your looking to spend that kind of moeny to get it back.

If you have a hole that water and dirt can get in, then plug it with some sealant like you would around the house.

Other then that, IMO your just wasting your money.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I appreciate your point of view.

But I'm not (yet) replacing the end cover. I only want to remove it to see if it was damaged when some of the plastic rivets that hold it in place were. The rivets themselves are relatively inexpensive.

I was hoping that some of the earlier posters who appear to have replaced theirs (or at least were preparing to) might be able to comment on any difficulty they had removing the old part. Guess not . . . .

Harbor Fright has a $6.00 plastic tool kit that is made to help remove those plastic clips.

Using those tools will make it a lot easier. They blue in color.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Again, appreciate the response.

All the apparent plastic push-pin rivets/clips are out -- three at the back, one large one underneath the rocker panel (two parts) and one behind the rocker panel (facing the center of the car) that holds the forward part of the wheel well liner, where it wraps around the inside of the rocker panel, in place. (This one has to be released so that the liner can be pulled back allowing room for the end cover to come out -- the liner overlaps the end cover.)

With all clips out, the end cover itself is loose (i.e. it moves around) but cannot be retracted back out of the rocker panel. It seems as if something is catching where a part of the end cover goes in between the metal rocker panel and the outer plastic garnish/cover/lower spoiler.

I had a look at a new end cover at a dealer today. The end cover does extend into the space, and there's a square hole in the cover where it goes between the panel and the garnish. I suspect that the square hole fits onto a molded tab on the hidden inside surface of the plastic rocker panel garnish. This might require the garnish to be lifted away from the body in that area to allow the tab (if that's what it is) to come out of the square hole, thereby releasing the end cover. I'll have to see if this is the case.

Turns out the plastic cover on the rocker panel garnish ("spoiler") has to be removed. The end cover will come with it. There's hidden clips on the back side of the spoiler that hole it on the rocker panel. The clips are much like those found on the back of the door trim panels.

The last clip on the inside of the spoiler goes through the square hole in the end cover, and therefore has to be removed to allow the end cover to be separated from the spoiler.

The end cover is made up of two pieces, the rubber flap that is visible below the rocker panel, and a hard plastic frame. If only the rubber flap is missing/broken but the rest of the end cover is intact, it should be possible to attach a replacement flap to the frame without taking it off the car. However, the flaps are not available separately.

Hope this helps others . . . .

• 3 weeks later...

I lost my driver side air flap, end cover, and rivets to a piece of retread a month ago. When I went to order the parts, subaru wanted almost $3 for each of the 3 rivets that go in the end cover. I picked these rivets up at napa today for $4.99 per bag of 6. They are almost identical to the old rivets, except they fit just a little bit more snug. I actually like that they fit more snug because I mysteriously only have 1 rivet holding my passenger side end cover in place, so the oem rivets must not fit in very snugly. I know rivets are a dime a dozen, but I thought I'd just let people know about these since they are practically identical to the oem ones. oem rivet is on left side in pics, napa/balkamp on right.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_6653273_0361217666

rivetbag.thumb.jpg.c3a313c463704d5081f4ddfe88f60173.jpg

rivetside.jpg.6e59ce8ac31fd37d587c5924080e1418.jpg

rivettop.jpg.40286179c0c13e41ff049d7c2bf23ea5.jpg

looks like I am headed to Napa... my car is missing these guys all over :spin:.

This includes the pass side mudflap thingy you guys are talking about. I picked one up from a totalled LGT partout thread, havent installed it yet though.

• 2 months later...

For posterity- just recently went through tracking the inner flaps down...

for a 2009 Legacy- "Plate Air Flap R RH" 59123AG020. Left side- "Plate Air Flap R LH" 59123AG030.

Associated push pin (pop-it) - "clip 2 piece D7", 909140051.

I lost my driver side air flap, end cover, and rivets to a piece of retread a month ago. When I went to order the parts, subaru wanted almost $3 for each of the 3 rivets that go in the end cover. I picked these rivets up at napa today for $4.99 per bag of 6. They are almost identical to the old rivets, except they fit just a little bit more snug. I actually like that they fit more snug because I mysteriously only have 1 rivet holding my passenger side end cover in place, so the oem rivets must not fit in very snugly. I know rivets are a dime a dozen, but I thought I'd just let people know about these since they are practically identical to the oem ones. oem rivet is on left side in pics, napa/balkamp on right.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_6653273_0361217666

Great job,

Thanks,

I'll print the picture and go to NAPA on the way home.

• 7 months later...

Did not want to start a new thread as this one is more than appropriate, but my wife (yes, it really was her) has seemingly one upped everyone here.

She ran over "something, not really sure when" and dislodged two end cover rivets. It also popped off the large rivet under the sideskirt/side spoiler that holds the rigid plastic piece of the end cover. I think this happened because of how long she drove with the end cover rubbing the tire. She said "it sounded like a flat tire, then it just went away!"

Does anyone know the part number of the large rivet under the side skirt? When I go into exploded diagrams of the "ground effects cover" it looks like they are clips #5 and 6, but no part numbers.

Archived