LegacyGT.com

ECU Fry?

leftcoast74

Sounds like bs

Is it just the air pump code? How did they deduce it was the "ecu being fried"?

What did you flash it with?

How many times have you flashed it exactly? People flash their ecus 100x over without issue.

Whoa! $1100!! I would definitely be headed for a second opinion. I would also ask the tuner. My first question to dealer would be that if the ecu were to fry from flashing, wouldn't it have fried while it was being flashed? If the flash was successful and everything was working fine, why would it suddenly just fry weeks later?

Hope you get worked out.

Yeah, I don't buy that dealer's BS either.

If the flash was successful then something else caused the issue. ECM's can be fried but it's typically and more likely from a electrical short in the system. Is there any chance a wire got damaged or pinched in your upgrades?

Just getting to my VM's Dave. I see you left one. I will check it and get back to you. Replacing an ECU with an existing electrical issue is a no go. Chances are there is a short. A wire somewhere or a ground.

So, went to the dealer today. Connected to learning view and there were alot of different codes on there now. My dumb ass didn't take a screenshot so I'll list the ones I can remember. Yes, ive heard some tuners lock it out, thats defiantly not whats happening here

Knock sensor high

Tps sensor high x2

Intake manifold sensor high x2

Secondary air pump sensor high

There were a couple more but I forgot them. I'm thinking there was a short & that messed up the ecu. I expressed my thoughts to the service manager about the short "theory" and he said if they put a new ecu on it they should b able to work it out. Lol, BS

These sound like a shared engine ground has something wrong (short/ disconnected)

Given that you recently had engine work done, I would start looking in those areas. You'll probably find something interesting if you start looking at all the wires carefully.

No. Not me. But the main communication ground is located under your TMIC next to the starter. I have seen lowered cars drivers side front wheels rip the wiring harness when the fender liner was bad. I have seen the bulk head harnesses at the tranny shorted from rubbing. Seen a few oddities like this that caused mayhem.

Ground wore is big. Like 4 gauge big. Not something that is going to get cut. But could be loose, or covered in grease like I always see.

Could be a million things. But highly doubt it is the ECU. CanBus communication requires a "drain". Meaning "noise" can interfere with comm. It can get touchy.

You can...

I would need to bring tools home from the shop to start on it. I would have to move cars around too. Wife will freak if she gets blocked in again.

Also, my drive way is Super steep. Steep enough that a flatbed can not make it up without slamming the tongue into the ground and damaging my drive. We had to be ultra craetive and not very safe when we trailered the SpecB home and put her in the garage. My residence is not the best place to work on cars. It violates the homeowners too. Doubt I can get it in the garage as the less steep side was used for the SpecB.

Never had a flatbed tow truck try to make a drop in the drive.

I use my house as a drop off for customers. Then I bring them to the shop. I can tow the car. But my trailer has the wagon on it, so I need to land that. Plus the dually is in Palo Alto, so I need to borrow a truck.

So it's been over 6 weeks with no car, it's undriveable and still sitting at the the dealer. I haven't thrown any cash at them because I think there full of bs. I've tried to find someone else to look & work on it but no one wants to touch it, weird. I live in socal and can't get my subie fixed...vexing!

This was my dd, I have 3 kids and work full-time, I'm screwed.

Wow, that and your Stromung CBE is touching a CV boot. You just do not have any luck. I feel for ya....I replaced a front brake line on my truck last night just to have the main line that runs from the front to rear pop a leak before I could even move the damn thing:mad:.

Sorry, about your situation. Hope it turns around quick for you. Let us LGT' ers know what we can do to help.

• 4 weeks later...
It has major electrical gremlins. Could be ecu. But can not test with new ECU as I have to have key re-coded for ECU at dealer. That means towing car to dealer for a key. Never seen a ECU go bad before (on a Subie). If it is bad, why? What happened?

Archived