LegacyGT.com

06 lgt fans constantly running

So anyone on here have to deal with getting a recall with the ECM needing replaced. I've gone to the dealer called SOA and the recall has my vin in the affected cars but it says not all cars are affected by this recall but they have done nothing to determine if my car is affected. If anyone with a 06 lgt that's had to deal with this let me know what exactly you had to do. It's getting really frustrating and just want this figured out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure you're not having overheating issues?

The coolant temp sensor is what controls the fans on/off (or rather, feeds info to the fan relay switch based on coolant temp). Maybe think about checking that sensor and/or replacing it.

I don't understand. What exactly is the question? If there was a recall and your VIN is in the batch, what's the problem? I've never had a recall on a vehicle that cost me one dime, the vehicle gets recalled because there either is or might be a problem. They do whatever the "fix" is, and send you on your way. Hell, I brought my (at the time) 17 year old Stealth RT Turbo (which I was the third owner of) to a dealer for some work once, and had them tell me it had three outstanding recalls on the VIN, none of which had anything to do with what I brought it in for. All of which they addressed, for free, while they had it. What am I missing here?

I don't understand. What exactly is the question? If there was a recall and your VIN is in the batch, what's the problem? I've never had a recall on a vehicle that cost me one dime, the vehicle gets recalled because there either is or might be a problem. They do whatever the "fix" is, and send you on your way. Hell, I brought my (at the time) 17 year old Stealth RT Turbo (which I was the third owner of) to a dealer for some work once, and had them tell me it had three outstanding recalls on the VIN, none of which had anything to do with what I brought it in for. All of which they addressed, for free, while they had it. What am I missing here?

It's says in the recall that "not all cars in specified vins are affected by recall" but they won't do anything to to determine if it's affected. I was just hoping to find someone that's delt with this before and how they went about getting it fixed cuz I've done everything I can to try and get Subaru to do something about this and they want me to pay full price for a new ECM ($800). I will try the temp sensor tho and I already bought a new relay to eliminate that. Temp on the gauge stays right in middle once warm. Fluids all right where they are supposed to be.

Check if your fans are on all of the time or just about all of the time. I believe a fried ecu is 100% of the time.

In my case it's something like this:

On a cold day (below 60*F), my fans are on when I cold start the car, if I let it reach around 130*F, turn off the car and start it again, the fans will be off.

On a warm day (60*F+) fans stay off even when I cold start it.

I don't think my ECU is fried, since I have the new relay, but what's odd is ECU (through Romraider) doesn't see the fans as being on when they are on during cold start.

Are you sure you're not having overheating issues?

The coolant temp sensor is what controls the fans on/off (or rather, feeds info to the fan relay switch based on coolant temp). Maybe think about checking that sensor and/or replacing it.

On mine it doesn't seem like it's the coolant temp, Scangauge 2 and Romraider both show temps in spec (180*F), and fans will kick on at 203*F

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

It's says in the recall that "not all cars in specified vins are affected by recall" but they won't do anything to to determine if it's affected. I was just hoping to find someone that's delt with this before and how they went about getting it fixed cuz I've done everything I can to try and get Subaru to do something about this and they want me to pay full price for a new ECM ($800). I will try the temp sensor tho and I already bought a new relay to eliminate that. Temp on the gauge stays right in middle once warm. Fluids all right where they are supposed to be.

That's messed up. Did you try a different dealer?

Check if your fans are on all of the time or just about all of the time. I believe a fried ecu is 100% of the time.

In my case it's something like this:

On a cold day (below 60*F), my fans are on when I cold start the car, if I let it reach around 130*F, turn off the car and start it again, the fans will be off.

On a warm day (60*F+) fans stay off even when I cold start it.

I don't think my ECU is fried, since I have the new relay, but what's odd is ECU (through Romraider) doesn't see the fans as being on when they are on during cold start.

On mine it doesn't seem like it's the coolant temp, Scangauge 2 and Romraider both show temps in spec (180*F), and fans will kick on at 203*F

I have gone to three different dealers here in Spokane Washington and they are on 100% of the time

What are the last 8 digits of your VIN? With that I can see if there is an outstanding recall on your car. If there is, take your car in to have the recall done. They may have to do work to it if the car needs updated components, or it may already have the newest parts. Either way it will be completed at no cost to you.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

What are the last 8 digits of your VIN? With that I can see if there is an outstanding recall on your car. If there is, take your car in to have the recall done. They may have to do work to it if the car needs updated components, or it may already have the newest parts. Either way it will be completed at no cost to you.

Well that's exactly my problem when I have you guys type in my vin nothing come up. I found this TSB below that's includes my vin. But they tell me my car was not affected even tho it's in the vin range. They also are telling me my car was from Hawaii originally and is from a different distributer idk why that makes a difference but they will not even look at it to dertermine if it's the ecu or not.

Here is the link: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cooling-fan-relay-issue-now-recall-campaign-55332.html?t=55332

Here is my vin:4S3 BL6763 66202138

Sorry for the late reply. I ran your VIN, and your car does not have that (or any) recall assigned to it. While you do fall in the VIN range, your car isn't one affected by this recall, which means no dealer will do any of the work involved with the recall on your car under warranty. This line from the recall bulletin lays that out...

Potentially affected vehicles are identified in the VIN range chart below. Not all vehicles within the VIN range are affected. Prior to performing repairs, confirm coverage for potentially affected vehicles by using the Vehicle Coverage Inquiry in the Dealer Communication System (DCS).

You car may still exhibit the symptoms like the ones listed in the recall bulletin, but SOA will not perform this work for free. Sorry for the bad news :(

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

Sorry for the late reply. I ran your VIN, and your car does not have that (or any) recall assigned to it. While you do fall in the VIN range, your car isn't one affected by this recall, which means no dealer will do any of the work involved with the recall on your car under warranty. This line from the recall bulletin lays that out...

You car may still exhibit the symptoms like the ones listed in the recall bulletin, but SOA will not perform this work for free. Sorry for the bad news :(

Well the dealer and everyone else tells me same thing so nothing new. I just don't understand if it's in the vin range but is not affected. That wakes no sense. If the car has the problem it has the problem and should be fixed. If it's something else than fine I'll pay but they can't even check if it's my ecu. An I'm not paying labor for them to tell me it's the ecu then get denied because it doesn't include my car. If they know what cars are not affected than why isn't there a list of what cars are not affected and the ones that are. Just seems like a way out of a recall cuz anyone could come in with this problem and you could tell them same thing even tho the car should be recalled.

Not your fault and I appreciate you taking the time to look it up but this is seriously a bunch of crap on SOA

Archived