LegacyGT.com

VF-52 all opinions welcome

This Turbo confuses me. Some people rave about it, including EFI logics, but then Infamous tuning says dont go near it. how could a "stock" turbo have such difference betweeen two strong tuning shops?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This Turbo confuses me. Some people rave about it, including EFI logics, but then Infamous tuning says dont go near it. how could a "stock" turbo have such difference betweeen two strong tuning shops?

VF52 is a solid turbo I remember about 2 years ago those turbos were the HOT item on these forums for the guys wanting to upgrade from the VF40/46.

That particular shop may of had a bad tuning experience with that turbo for whatever reason and made a general statement.

Power potential is well-defined already. Reliability is better than the (godawful) VF-40/46, but it's still an IHI journal bearing turbo... basically a disposable item. Remember there are no official spares kits, replacement CHRAs etc., nor are there any from the major parts distributors. No reputable shop rebuilds them.

It's a fine turbo in terms of performance but when you look at the price of a new one and (due to demand) what used ones sell for, I think there are better options out there that offer similar spool / numbers.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^^^ you CANNOT say the reliability of the 46 is anywhere near as bad as the 40. :rolleyes:

Hard to say when there are so few of them out there compared to the VF-40... but there are still plenty of borked ones to show that IHI did not really address the problems. In terms of volume there are what, 5 or 6 times as many 40s around as 46s?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The only vf46 I have ever heard of blowing was via blatant blocking of the oil line, other than that...they hold up amazingly well

As much as I hate to contradict you, I've seen a lot more than one thread here alone on subjects along the lines of 'my VF-46 died, what to do?'... I think it's just the fact that there are a lot less of them out there, and they are on newer cars, that makes it appear that they are better made. I don't feel that IHI's reputation is being dragged down by the VF-40 alone.

Anyway, this thread is about the VF-52 isn't it? ;)

I loved my VF52--granted I just ditched it for a VF twinscroll. Big improvement over the vf40, good spool, more fun. I had mine on e85 with injectors, pump, fmic, elh, the works. If you look around you can get them fairly cheap used. After 10k miles total on the turbo, it was still great looking when I pulled it.

well, nonetheless, the 52 is quite reliable

It seems about as good as any of the usual RHB55 series IHI turbos, which is to say not fantastic, and still cannot realistically be repaired or overhauled. Not great for the long haul, but okay if the price is right.

I would never buy a used journal bearing IHI turbo beyond (say) a VF-39 for $300 or so. Good luck finding a used VF-52 under about $600.

For $1000 new there are far better options... ones that perform better and can be rebuilt if they wear out. Perhaps two years back there weren't that many choices but times have changed.

I loved my VF52--granted I just ditched it for a VF twinscroll. Big improvement over the vf40, good spool, more fun. I had mine on e85 with injectors, pump, fmic, elh, the works. If you look around you can get them fairly cheap used. After 10k miles total on the turbo, it was still great looking when I pulled it.

Are you selling your VF52?

I guess we are still dealing with the East coast and West coast fueds ;)

I love my VF52 so far as you know from other threads.

im in such a dilemma, i cant decide 18g or VF52, iether way im doing the F1 valve body, Walbro, 740cc's, adjustable actuator.

Just FYI, in terms of size and power potential the VF-52 is closer to the 16G. TD05H turbine is just a little larger than the VF-52, though the exhaust housing is probably closer to 8cm2 than the 7cm2 housing that comes with most TD05H turbos. The compressor wheel is pretty close to the 16G, though the VF-52 falls off a little earlier up top, as is usual for IHI turbos.

The 18G compressor is larger than either, but IMO needs a TD062SL turbine to really show it's stuff on an EJ255. I'd also want to pair either a FMIC with that, or at least the big Process West TMIC or the DIY TMIC with big core.

YMMV and all that. ;)

i know the VF52 is more EVO 16g, but thats my problem i dont know if ill be happy just staying at that power, the 18g gives me headroom to tune conservative around 19-20psi, and then add a bit down the road if i decide. all opinions welcome, anyone local or close to me with either VF52, or BNR 16/18 g willing do give me a ride, ill buy lunch.

VF-52 had an incredibly high failure rate direct from Subie. Lots of cars ended up with blown turbos in the 10-15k mile range at initial release. We saw the bearings as being deficient and have had customers shy away.

Besides the fact that it is still a crap OEM turbo. Crap bearings no matter what. Falls flat on its face at 4800rpm. No top end. No reliability. Expensive. Subaru will not warranty without a full oil line kit (expensive and worthless).

We sell the VF-52 and do not recommend it. We recommend turbos we do not sell. That is how bad we feel it is.

BNR EVO16g will destroy a VF-52 all day long. If for no other fact than price, reliability, warranty, USA manufacturer who stands behind product, pulls all the way to redline, hits around 3000rpm, great bearings. Once the VF-52 falls on its face, the 16g keeps on pulling. Capable of holding 20+ psi from 3000 to redline.

I had a brand new VF-52 in the box and sold it for a loss rather than install it. Instead I grabbed a BNR EVO16g and destroyed my 5EAT during tuning. Before I was even a vendor.

Side note. It is not an East Coast/West Coast thing. I am from New York. Lived there just 2 years ago. Moved between coasts twice in last 3 years. NYC is home for me. Cali is home for the wife. I bought my VF-52 in New York (from FBP in PA), brought it to Cali and sold it here.

We sell the VF-52 and do not recommend it. We recommend turbos we do not sell. That is how bad we feel it is.

I have a question. If you have so much dislike for the turbo, why bother selling it? Especially if your persuading customers to NOT purchase it.

Archived