LegacyGT.com

96 legacy L 2.2 MT upgrade help?

Hello I am Ryan,

I have a 96 legacy L with the 2.2L MT and I want to get more power out of it without damaging dependability. I have 2000 bucks to do upgrades within this budget and I need Ideas from people who have already done this. CAI is already on its way but other ideas such as has anyone done the 2.5 computer swap with any improvements? Doing it myself is not an issue as that I am a tech but Ideas are appreciated,

Well, the 2.2 5mt cars came with a 3.90 geared tranny. If you can find a 5MT out of a 2.5L subaru, you can get the 4.11 geared tranny. Lots more fun to drive :)

But you would need the rear differential and hydraulic clutch components.

This is a more extreme and expensive route, but hey...

Also, a lot of people report issues with the CAI on subarus.

Check the stickies at the top, there is an entire list of things you can do

If you are trying to get more power- swap motors to a wrx or other boosted variant. else that $2000 will turn into $6000 and you still wont be where you want to be...

depending on the setup, a CAI may end up more detrimental to your goals than anything, you will need a hybrid setup to get any positive response.

Absolutely no benefit with a 2.5 ECU..

I would decide if you want to go for a turbo swap or an NA build... if the latter, you could build a high compression motor or even grind the cams for more TQ or HP..

this link will give you some other potential ideas for upgrades

Hello I am Ryan,

I have a 96 legacy L with the 2.2L MT and I want to get more power out of it without damaging dependability. I have 2000 bucks to do upgrades within this budget and I need Ideas from people who have already done this. CAI is already on its way but other ideas such as has anyone done the 2.5 computer swap with any improvements? Doing it myself is not an issue as that I am a tech but Ideas are appreciated,

$2000 for a decent suspension and brake upgrade, which will make the car handle fairly decent.

25D ECU will smooth out the idle and give you a high rpm limit along with being able to adjust to rougher conditions better than your current ECU.

Intake, ignition, & exhaust mods will release a little power and will make the car more responsive.

Lightweight pulley and lightweight flywheel will also release a little power and make the car more responsive.

If you're looking in the right place, $2000 will get you more than you think.

• I Donated
Well, the 2.2 5mt cars came with a 3.90 geared tranny. If you can find a 5MT out of a 2.5L subaru, you can get the 4.11 geared tranny. Lots more fun to drive :)

But you would need the rear differential and hydraulic clutch components.

Yes and no.

He is able to retain the cable clutch setup regardless of what 95 - 99 Legacy/Impreza transmission he uses. The difference between cable vs hydraulic is the fork and the pivot point inside the bellhousing. The pivot point screws in and out of the casing...and the casting for both hydraulic and cable are there. I am running a 98 Outback transmission with a cable clutch. It was 2 minutes of work to switch the transmission to run cable setup.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived