LegacyGT.com

Cobb v3 Eco tune?

Sclantz

I have a 05 LGT stock. i just bought it and on my first tank of fuel only got 22 MPG & on this tank I am getting average 24. I have been looking into the cobb V3 and doing a little of research on eco-mode and found it to average gain 1 to 4 Mpg average. is this correct? I have a fairly long commute and looking for something to increase my MPGs I have also been looking at a cattless downpipe. is this even worth putting on if I don't change my stock exhaust?

Crosspasting this from the other thread:

Cobb eco-mode seems to be hit or miss for gaining MPG's, but one thing you do get for sure is a car that runs like crap.

I'm testing right now to see if a much better flowing downpipe will improve gas mileage.

For power reasons yes it's worth installing it even with stock exhaust.

Ok thanks. I started a new one already. What dp are you going with? Thanks!

I'm using the stromung downpipe, but there are plenty of options out there.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I agree with what covertrussian said. My friend used the eco tune and didn't have much MPG improvement and the car lacked power. Always nice to have extra horses to get out of sticky traffic situations.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have read through most of your dare I ask the ? Trend. very informative great information thanks. I'm planning on doing my banjo filters soon To prevent any future problems the bolt behind the timing that is able to be pulled out without taking off the timing from what it seems? Just a pain. Also I have the 5eat with 30k miles, any other preventative maintenance at this point? I'm new to subi and am lost when it comes to the AVCS work you are doing but will keep reading up and try to gain more understanding . Thanks for your time very appreciated!!!!

I agree with what covertrussian said. My friend used the eco tune and didn't have much MPG improvement and the car lacked power. Always nice to have extra horses to get out of sticky traffic situations.

Now I should say that doesn't mean you can't gain MPG's from tuning it. It's just the way Cobb went about it is wrong in my opinion. I've had good luck (+4-5mpg) with simply messing with the AVCS degrees table alone.

I have read through most of your dare I ask the ? Trend. very informative great information thanks. I'm planning on doing my banjo filters soon To prevent any future problems the bolt behind the timing that is able to be pulled out without taking off the timing from what it seems? Just a pain. Also I have the 5eat with 30k miles, any other preventative maintenance at this point? I'm new to subi and am lost when it comes to the AVCS work you are doing but will keep reading up and try to gain more understanding . Thanks for your time very appreciated!!!!

Banjo filters are a pain, you can try to remove the driver side head one, but you may need to grind down the bolt a bit. Sadly you need to do more then just remove timing belt to get to it, you need to remove cam gears which is a pain of it's own.

At 30k I would replace your ATF fluid before it's too late, differential fluids, besides that it might be time to replace spark plugs too.

I ment to say your 05 LGT build...

I was gonna ask.. :lol:

22 Ascent STOCK

the best way to get better mpg is to stay out of boost. an actual tune will help a bit since all subarus seem to run rich. Cobb's maps are just base maps and wont do much to improve mpg. my wrx when i had it tuned gained 3-4 more mph.

the best way to get better mpg is to stay out of boost. an actual tune will help a bit since all subarus seem to run rich. Cobb's maps are just base maps and wont do much to improve mpg. my wrx when i had it tuned gained 3-4 more mph.

That's what I've heard too. If you can train yourself to drive differently to keep the car out of boost on your own that will help too.

I like boost too much so I end up paying for it at the pump. :cool:

That's what I've heard too. If you can train yourself to drive differently to keep the car out of boost on your own that will help too.

I like boost too much so I end up paying for it at the pump. :cool:

I hear ya on that. bottom line is if you drive a turbo'd car you really shouldnt be concerning yourself with MPG. Or you bought the wrong car.

My wrx was stage 3 with over 325awhp and still got 24mpg :p

I hear ya on that. bottom line is if you drive a turbo'd car you really shouldnt be concerning yourself with MPG. Or you bought the wrong car.

Yeah I consider the lower MPG as a performance tax along with the more expensive oil changes too. The Legacy GT has been a great balance of fun and functionality for me.

I will respectfully disagree on a few points:

On stock tune, driving the car nicely on the highway & staying off boost I would get 24-25mpg. It just wouldn't go above that no matter how easy I drove it. But once I changed my AVCS to be 15-20* in the cruising area my MPG went up to 28-29mpg. Thus staying off the boost alone is not the best way to improve gas mileage.

Subaru's are rich, like all factory cars, but this doesn't matter because the only time you will see that richness is if you floor the car, drive nicely and it wont effect the MPG. Now making the car less rich will help you not loose as much MPG when you do floor it. :)

Agreed on basemaps, they will help a bit, but to get the best bang for the buck you have to custom tune each car.

I will once again respectfully disagree on buying the wrong car. Turbing motors is the best way to make them more efficent. I'm gas mileage conscious I have 4 turbo cars (two of which are homebuilt Nissans), slapping turbos on the Nissans actually improved the gas mileage.

Factory turbo cars usually don't get good gas mileage, but when you take an NA car and slap a turbo on it you will get better gas mileage. Part of the reason is higher compresion of the NA motor, also NA motors usually will flow better since they can't rely on turbo pressure to make power. Subaru's have very low compression motors, 8.2:1 usually, this plus the drag of AWD is what hurts the gas mileage the most.

With Turbos you can have the best of both worlds if you properly size the turbo and properly tune the setup.

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived