LegacyGT.com

Anyone using the Exedy FJK1001FW Clutch/Flywheel Package?

TheBG

The dealership is currently rebuilding my transmission (bad synchros) and I have decided to have them install a new clutch and flywheel since they already have the thing ripped apart.

After much research and forum trolling... i am leaning towards the Exedy FJK1001FW package. It is basically a stock/OEM Exedy - 07 LGT (FJK1001) clutch bundled with a (presumably) Exedy flywheel.

Exedy Catalog - http://www.exedyusa.com/catalogs/2010OECatalog.pdf

Amazon Link - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-FJK1001FW-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B002EO2YR2]Amazon.com: EXEDY FJK1001FW OEM Replacement Clutch Kit: Automotive[/ame]

The whole package isonly $460. Has anyone installed this? I can't find any info on the type of flywheel that comes with this. Nervous.

Background - Bone stock 05 LGT Unlimited. 5MT. 85k miles.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. Im suprised this question doesn't come up more often. Ive seen the part number referenced in a few different threads.. but haven't seen any valuable commentary. Suprising considering the value... clutch + flywheel under $500 from a respected manufacturer.

Well, i pulled the trigger and bought the damn thing off of Amazon. The price was too good to pass up.... $437 for clutch + firewall shipped (free 2 day shipping w/ Amazon Prime). Everything should be installed and up/running by early next week. I will report back with further details at that time.

BTW... clutch city has an actual picture of the parts included in the fjk1001fw package (http://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/15-024A.shtml). That flywheel looks really similar to the Exedy FF502 flywheel that is offered on the Fred Beans website. If so... very good deal.

i was gonna say.. why is ur clutch going through the firewall lol.

with prime, hopefully it will arrive before the end of the week. please let us know if the kit is complete and i will go ahead and pull the trigger too. pricing is half of what i was looking at from other dealers

Well, i pulled the trigger and bought the damn thing off of Amazon. The price was too good to pass up.... $437 for clutch + firewall shipped (free 2 day shipping w/ Amazon Prime). Everything should be installed and up/running by early next week. I will report back with further details at that time.

BTW... clutch city has an actual picture of the parts included in the fjk1001fw package (http://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/15-024A.shtml). That flywheel looks really similar to the Exedy FF502 flywheel that is offered on the Fred Beans website. If so... very good deal.

if that is the correct part number on the clutchcity site, its even cheaper here! then again, the description doesnt include a fw. wtf.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-WRX-Baja-Forester-2006-Luk-Clutch-Kit-15-024-/300528438291

also that part number does not appear to be made by exedy

Clutch delivered. Quick inspection looks promising. Clutch disk, pressure plate, TOB, and SM flywheel are all included. Flywheel weighs about 12 pounds..... so not quite as heavy as the 07 WRX, but some may see that as a benefit. Everything looks to be high quality for whatever that is worth. I'm quite pleased. Obviously I will know more once installed.

I use the exedy LWFW paired with a clutchmasters fx300 clutch.

I like the flywheel very much. It was recommended to me by my mechanic over the ACT, and when I was researching the 2, the exedy was way cheaper. I'm happy with the purchase.

Clutch delivered. Quick inspection looks promising. Clutch disk, pressure plate, TOB, and SM flywheel are all included. Flywheel weighs about 12 pounds..... so not quite as heavy as the 07 WRX, but some may see that as a benefit. Everything looks to be high quality for whatever that is worth. I'm quite pleased. Obviously I will know more once installed.

are u considering getting getting the tsk3?

I probably should get the TSK but it's a little late in the game for me to order another part. Cars been in the shop for 2 weeks and this impreza loaner they gave me isn't cutting it. Had I prepared and timed things better I probably would have ordered it. But whatever... Hopefully I've bought a new WRX by the time this new TOB decides to sieze up :).

Exedy makes most OEM clutches that come in cars ... IN THE WORLD. I have semi-spectacular results with their aftermarket product line (stage 1 is way too heavy for the lowish tq rating) but I have little doubt that the oem replacements are nothing short of stellar.

Clutch kit installed. Picked the car up this morning. Feels like a new. Keep in mind that in addition to the Exedy clutch kit, I also had the transmission rebuilt with all new synchros. Notwithstanding, clutch feel is great, engagement point is right where it should be. Obviously im still driving through the break-in period, but this looks to be a really great and inexpensive way to replace the OEM system with quality parts. I was nervous about the LWFW, but there is no chatter and engagement is smooth as silk. I have noticed that it revs up (and down) much quicker, but not in an annoying or intrusive way. All good stuff.

Super pleased. I know im not the only cheap ass who was looking to replace the stock system for a bargain..... and for those out there on a budget with close to stock power, you just aren't going to do a lot better than the Exedy FJK1001FW kit. Oil Change + 4 Wheel Alignment + Tranny rebuild (quasi-warranty.... but that is another conversation) + clutch + TOB + pressure plate + LWFW = $1200. Strong work :).

Well, i had a legitimate case on the synchros. I bought my leggy used from a local dealer about two years ago and also puchased a Subaru Gold Warranty package (6 year - 100k). Immediately out of the gate I was noticing issues getting in out of gear (1st, Reverse, 3rd..) all at differing degree of difficulty. With obvious concern, I took the car into dealer for diagnosis. When i dropped it off, i explicitly recall saying something to the effect of: "I really don't think it is the clutch, im not having any slippage (etc), it feels like the sychros are grinding". Well, i get a call later in the afternoon and the lady tells me that my clutch is bad. I argued with her a bit... but she wouldn't back down. I don't even think they really looked at the transmission or tried to replicate the issue. They just picked the easiest (and most non warrantable) solution from their bag of tricks. I denied repair.. and continued to drive with grindy gears.

Fast forward 6 months later, problem is getting worse, i bring the car into the shop and re-explain the issue to a new Service Manager. This dude is all over it...... shows concern..... replicates the issue.... confirms my synchros are shot. Unfortunately, my warranty had expired 2 months earlier and the transmission was no longer officially covered. After a bunch of back and forth with SoA they agreed to rebuild the tranny for $500. The Service Manager allowed me to slip the clutch install under that $500 blanket.

I still feel like i got the short end of the stick, but whatever, you win some you lose some. It could of been a lot worse... i could of been left with my bird in my hand for a $3,000 rebuild. If i had to do it over again, i would have immediately gotten a second opinion on the issue after the original "bad clutch" diagnosis. My clutch was actually still in decent shape when they removed it.... just figured i would replace while they were in there. Glad i did.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Had my dealer replace my clutch and dual mass flywheel with this kit from Amazon. 62K easy miles, much better now after months of slipping. Potential bugaboo was that the kit TOB came with a broken "ear", they had to sub the Subaru part. One email to Amazon and I got reimbursed, no hassle. Total < $1K.

Archived