LegacyGT.com

up pipe/down pipe with out tune ?

Yes you can you will just not benefit from it, and you may have some KR issues, but since the tune will be pretty conservative, assuming stock, then you will probably not have any issues. But as noted you will certainly not gain the power you should from the upgrade.

SO in the end, it seems rather stupid to spend money on one thing and then ignore the item that will enhance all power gains from that first item.

you can, however; take it easy on the gas since you dont know if you are knocking or not. I did install a invidia DP w/o tuning it for 3-6 months. no damage on the engine as far as I know. Or you can wait for all your parts and install it on the car and tune it afterwards to get the benefits of installing aftermarket parts.

I was reading elsewhere of the dangers of "overboost" but I'm a little confused on how up and down pipes could cause this since technically the ECM still controlls peek boost... But with the extra flow maybe the waste-gate DC table just isn't right.

I agree with what woodstock said. If you Really can't get it tuned just stay out of it till you can, OR just wait to do it all at once since then the payoff would be greater.

When I had my up/dn pipe installed I drove the car 60 miles, highway, to meet my Tuner for a proper tune. I kept it out of any sizeable boost levels until he plugged in his Lap Top and made sure everything was ok.

To many bad things can happen with out a proper tune. It's better to be safe then sorry.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

But sometimes people can't do that /\. Say were i live 1/2 way inbetween Salt Lake City and Denver. You have to drive 245 miles to get a proper tune. Im in the same boat and i want to do a up, but then i would have to drive to Denver to get the tune, I would have to drive somewhat slow. Due to Vail pass would kick to boost in around 10 psi on cruse control. Would that be okay?

They will install everything then tune it and you drive it back. Just an option. Or he could always get an access port.

Now you bring up the option that not everyone goes for either... lol

Some people like to put parts on themselves... At least I know I do.

If he is far from a pro tuner, then his choices are run it and wait till something breaks... Or get an AP, or go OS and get an infamous tune.

You don't HAVE to go to a dyno to have a tune done.

• 7 months later...
what dp you guys mean by a tune becaus eim planning on getting a dp and i didnt know u will need a tune for it. will the tune be expensive? im new to these things guys a little advice would be much appreciated thank you.

You absolutely need a tune. Tunes can range from ~$150 for an email tune up to around $500 for a dyno tune, which is charged hourly. Also, the two most popular types of tunes are either an open source or an Accessport tune.

Another option is the Cobb Accessport. While they are expensive and the tunes that come on them are so so (they can be upgraded), the Accessport can show a lot of information about your car such as boost, EGTs, etc. Its great if you don't have gauges.

From your avatar, it looks like you have a wagon. If that's the case and it isn't an 07, you'll see significant gains from switching to a catless up-pipe. You might as well have that put on when you're getting the downpipe installed to save labor cost later.

Now that you have this basic info, you need to research:

what downpipe you wish to run (they do have differences and I'm not talking about power).

where the reputable tuners are around you.

the types of tunes.

how to log, for after your car is tuned.

you'll see significant gains from switching to a catless up-pipe. You might as well have that put on when you're getting the downpipe installed to save labor cost later.

Significant gains from a catless UP? Where did you get this information and lets see some significant numbers.

Significant gains from a catless UP? Where did you get this information and lets see some significant numbers.

Ask and you shall recieve. This thread was way before your time. :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/pdxtuning-legacy-tuning-wrapup-13536.html?t=13536

+9 peak whp and +23wtq over just a tune on a completely stock car....plus a whole lot more midrange

Pretty significant for a part you can pick up for less than $100 used.

Archived