LegacyGT.com

AP Economy map (or similar) to pass smog...???

cfdrumr

I am thinking of gutting my DP but am worried about passing CA smog when the time comes. If, when I get smoged, I run an economy map (from an AP or a custom economy map) could I pass smog or should I just keep an extra catted DP?

I wana go the cheap way of just gutting the DP!!!

If you gut both cats in the DP you will most certainly fail. With the 2nd cat in place you "may" be able to pass. Reason I say may, is because there is a reason there are two cats in place. The rom really won't matter for the most part as all the testing would be in closed loop. Your best bet is to find a gutted stocker, the front piece of the DP is the same for both 5eat's and MT's LGT's.

Oh and FWIW California doesn't require a smog on your car until 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, especially since this is a little off topic, but for whatever reason I couldn't find the official smog thread (I swear there was one).

Anyway, I purchased a 2005 Legacy GT a few months back, and I'm curious if that same 2011 smog applied to me (I'm also in California).

Also, I was wondering if you had any documentation as for the reason why it wasn't required until then.

Sorry to revive an old thread, especially since this is a little off topic, but for whatever reason I couldn't find the official smog thread (I swear there was one).

Anyway, I purchased a 2005 Legacy GT a few months back, and I'm curious if that same 2011 smog applied to me (I'm also in California).

Also, I was wondering if you had any documentation as for the reason why it wasn't required until then.

With the exception of out of state cars entering CA, cars six model years or newer are exempt from CA smog check requirements. See the DMV smog check info page for details: http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/smog-check.php

• 5 years later...
There is still an offical smog thread but... I passed SMOG sniffer IN CA no problem with Cobb high flow cat Downpipe. However, second time around the same shop failed me for visual only. Still passed sniffer (125K miles on 2006) but they tighten up the rules and shops are afraid of getting in trouble. Even though I had a CAT it wasn't the original so stock had to go back on.. then they passed visual. :(

Archived