LegacyGT.com

Cold Air Intake Recomendation

I recommend stock. I also recommend searching the forum for this topic so you can make an educated decision as far as the direction you want to go with any modifications.

• Mega Users

That should be one of the last mods that you do. Upgrade tune, exhaust, brakes, suspension.

You only need a CAI if:

1. You like to waste money on loud things

2. You get a non racerx fmic, which would be silly

3. You upgraded your turbo, injectors, and fuel pump and your stock airbox

is limiting air flow

CAI have been shown to be detrimental to the health of these engines if they aren't properly tuned for

Now does this apply to non turbos also? Like a 2.5i?

Obviously that statement would not apply to an n/a legacy. I would look around in the n/a section and see what our resident experts have to say about adding an intake to a 2.5i. Most of my experience with n/a subies was on the GC/SF platform, added an Injen CAI to my 99' MAF SF which seemed to make a noticeable difference.

^ what everybody said. Plus, go open your hood and look at the design: the stock box basically IS a "Cold Air" intake. Cold air is directed from gap under the front of the hood right into the airbox.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

The AEM CAI is another good choice seeing you get it tuned. Though like everyone else has stated it will do little to nothing for performance untill you get a larger turbo. If your like me i bought it because i like the woshh sound it makes and also am looking to ugrade my turbo in the very near future.

if not upgrading turbo, remove silencer from inside fender, get AVO or Blitz un-oiled drop-in filter and be done with it. IF you want a bit more of bling, get the Perrin Afta-MAF hose.

If you upgrading turbo or just want to make sounds, AEM, Cobb w/cold box, or K&N Typhoon.

/thread

I have been running the Cobb w. Box for over 2 yrs 50000km. NO TUNE! :p I know people say thats bad but maybe my elevation has something to do with it. Maybe that I unpluged my battery and reset the ecu. I dunno.

It lets me hear the turbo which has a pleasing sound that makes me smile. :D

SPT Cold Air Intake hands down.:cool:

/\ Sounds the best, performs the worst. I sold mine after analyzing intake air temps. The MAF sensor also has issues reading correctly after the air whips around the bend in the SPT tubing right before the sensor.

Yeah, that is the last one people should be using

But, Subaru created it?!?!?!

My point exactly

Lol, I honestly hope you're not suggesting it's a good performing unit. This topic has been gone though countless times on here and tests been done by multiple 3rd party companies and tuners that each individually determined the design has fundamental flaws.

PS: "Subaru" didn't create the SPT intake, or the CBE for that matter. 3rd party companies create the parts and then they get the Subaru stamp. . . in case you were curious.

I made the mistake of getting a K&N Typhoon before doing any research with the same mind frame as you epayne. Save the money and put towards something else. If I could do it all over again I would have put it towards probably a Cobb AP(since I don't have the time and too lazy to tune myself) or go with an infamous1 tune. Or, now that I've seen the graphs for Bryan at BNR's Evo16g even with stock fuel,TMIC, and exhaust I'd put that $200 towards that turbo. Long story short, use the money towards something else.

Archived