LegacyGT.com

Can my LGT wagon tow a Miata?

I'm looking at doing a few track days this summer with my Miata. I am a bit worried about breaking the car at the track and not being able to drive it back home. For that reason, I was thinking of installing a hitch on the back of the wagon and renting a tow dolly for the weekend. I don't believe the tongue weight would be a problem, but what about the clutch etc? The Miata weighs in at about 2300 lbs, plus the dolly.

Thoughts?

I dont recommend it. Just because you can, doesnt mean you should.. Imagine, this, your brakes fade, trailer (which I assume has no brakes) will be come a big push. Now you have limited braking, and 6000(including theLGT) running away.. Yeah not fun.

Pick you up a decent Suv, or PU( heck even a ranger is a MUCH better option

If you have a trailer with brakes, yes, no big deal. Just drive carefully and keep a safe distance. Even with brakes on the trailer your braking distance can be longer. Surge brakes or electrical doesn't really matter, both have their pros and cons.

Many rental trailers are also marked with top speed - like 45mph, and that's for a reason.

Trailer without brakes is a big NO! The risk of a dynamic instability when braking is just too big. Where I live unbraked trailers may only be driven above 20mph if the weight is less than 1/6th of the car. And that's a good rule in my opinion.

And depending on market the Legacy is rated up to 2 metric tons. If you have a dual range gearbox on your Legacy - use the low range area when starting. You can shift up later. That will make it easier on the clutch.

Just expect that the fuel consumption on your Legacy will go up, and keep an eye on oil consumption as well.

And a bogie trailer is also better since it's a lot more stable. Unfortunately they are also heavier.

http://www.bedug.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=25604&g2_serialNumber=4

453747.png

I would not recommend it either. With a towing capacity of 2,700lbs and your miata weighing 2,300lbs that only gives you 400 for the trailer. The only trailer that would weigh under 400lbs is a dolly which has no brakes.

Also, just because your engine can pull it, does not mean your brakes can stop it. My opinion would be buy or rent a truck-it quite possibly would save you in the long run.

Also, just because your engine can pull it, does not mean your brakes can stop it. My opinion would be buy or rent a truck-it quite possibly would save you in the long run.

Which is why I recommend a braked trailer - regardless of which vehicle that's towing it.

453747.png

And a bogie trailer is also better since it's a lot more stable. Unfortunately they are also heavier.

http://www.bedug.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=25604&g2_serialNumber=4

I read what you recommended and I wasn't disagreeing. I was saying that the average flat bed trailer that has brakes will weigh more than 400 lbs (like the one you have pictured).

Its just my .02 to not tow that much weight with a legacy. If the OP does decide to do so, Id like to hear how it went.

OP I have a 97' Suburban that is set up to tow our 18ft open trailer, it's a great tow vehical. I'm looking to sell it. I have a bigger truck to tow with.

PM me if your interested.

I see your in NJ, I believe they have some of the strictest towing laws. You may want to do this right the first time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived