LegacyGT.com

07 Engine Swap

I have a 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i. it has almost 90k miles on it. one of the bearings is starting to go bad for the connecting rod, so as it is now its a 4300$ fix. i been wanting to do a swap to an STI engine set up and would like to get around 400hp the engine itself is'nt the issue.. i need to know who out there has done an engine swap. i want to know about motor mounts, if im going to need different ECU or a different wiring harness. i can fabricated intake and exhaust and I've built engines before and always been around cars so i have the mechanics. but i need specifics because this car is my only source of transportation at the moment and its a daily driver mon.-fri. 60 miles a day. and please don't reply with simple knowledge like buy a new car because i want this car i just owe to much on it still to even get rid of it and trade it in. i want this car past the days of daily driving but as of now my only source. i will probably have 10-12 grand to do the swap and mods and im doing all labor my self.

THANKS,

Fine, I'll be the bad guy - :rolleyes:

I'm gonna go ahead and break this up for you, since you can't seem to figure out what punctuation is.

Blah blah blah. . i been wanting to do a swap to an STI engine set up and would like to get around 400hp

Not gonna happen. Also: If you drive the way you type, the 160ish HP you have (had) now is already too much for you. You're not ready for 400hp, read on for why.

Riddle me this: Why do you think you need 400hp? What will it do for you? What kind of performance driving do you do in your daily drive that requires such a level of power?

the engine itself is'nt the issue.. i need to know who out there has done an engine swap. i want to know about motor mounts, if im going to need different ECU or a different wiring harness.

No one has, at least not to a 4th gen. Wanna know why? Becuase it's easier to buy a GT. It runs better, too!

Yes, you'll need all of those things, including a new hood, subframe, wiring harness, etc. Basically you'll need a GT donor car. Which, by the time you're done, it'll be more the donor car than your car, so, you might as well have just bought it instead.

i can fabricated intake and exhaust and blabbity blah blah.. i need specifics because this car is my only source of transportation at the moment and its a daily driver mon.-fri. 60 miles a day. and please don't reply with simple knowledge like buy a new car because i want this car i just owe to much on it still to even get rid of it and trade it in. i want this car past the days of daily driving but as of now my only source. i will probably have 10-12 grand to do the swap and mods and im doing all labor my self.

First, I hope you're an engineering genius, or, (the more likely case) when you say I you mean someone else, like Dad, Uncle, Grandpa, etc can do all of those things for you. Your writing hints very strongly at this.

Second, I call bullshit.

You have 10-12k to do a swap, but you owe too much to A) pay off the car (Which begs the question-- What astronomical sum did you pay for it??) and/or fix it; or B) Just buy a GT?

If you have 10-12k to drop into a car that's worth less than half that, why are you posting about wanting to fix it? IF you (which you don't) had money like that, you'd have kicked this broken car to the curb and gotten something else. You'd have priced a GT and paid cash because 10-12k buys a decent one outright in just about any state in the US. Heck, throw Canadia in there, too. 10-12k pays off an NA Legacy at 6-7 and still leaves a sizeable down for a better car, LGT or otherwise.

Or in your mind does grand=hundred? (In case you were unaware: Grand means thousand. See also: Roman Numeral K)

See my shopping list for what an engine rebuild costs in an ACTUAL GT. Multiply (means to times it) by two and a half for all the headache you'll endure trying to make a GT out of an NA.

See my build thread, or WaspGT's build thread, or, heck, ANY of the build threads to see how much sweat and cash it takes to get 400hp. Hint: It's almost 10-12k ON TOP of buying a GT.

Save your ducats, kiddo. Stay in school (goto school!), put a bend in the bill of your cap and let autocorrect be your guide. ;)

Tris, you got too much time on your hands man! :D

X2, once I read 2.5i and STI swap, don't tell it can't be done...

I scrolled down and read the first statement in your post and scrolled down...

I have to get back to changing the oil the Spec, I put a 3" DP on it last night, trimmed the heatshield this morning, went and got 3/4" crushed stone to landscape around the summer long project of getting the Generac generator installed and running. Going to change the oil in the GF's Escape too, having lunch now.

Blah, blah, blah...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Are we talking about just a turbo motor swap or a complete drivetrain swap too?

I've had a similar project on my 05 2.5i... Luckily I've had a daily driver for the last 2 years this project has gone on for. Bottom line this isn't easy, and I wouldn't recommend the full drivetrain swap at all...

If you are after just a turbo swap to get your fix your in luck. Here's what you do. Buy a 02-05 wrx motor and crossmember. You need to utilize your intake manifold but everything else should be able to work as long as you get a front mount inter cooler. You will need to take to a tuner to flash open source turbo map and also you would need to run a stand alone boost control to have proper turbo operation. It gets very complicated if you get into full wiring swaps and drivetrain swaps and in my opinion not worth it so if that's the case. Also you can buy a new na long block from Subaru for 1800 and fine someone to install for way less then your 42xx quote..

Are we talking about just a turbo motor swap or a complete drivetrain swap too?

I've had a similar project on my 05 2.5i... Luckily I've had a daily driver for the last 2 years this project has gone on for. Bottom line this isn't easy, and I wouldn't recommend the full drivetrain swap at all...

If you are after just a turbo swap to get your fix your in luck. Here's what you do. Buy a 02-05 wrx motor and crossmember. You need to utilize your intake manifold but everything else should be able to work as long as you get a front mount inter cooler. You will need to take to a tuner to flash open source turbo map and also you would need to run a stand alone boost control to have proper turbo operation. It gets very complicated if you get into full wiring swaps and drivetrain swaps and in my opinion not worth it so if that's the case. Also you can buy a new na long block from Subaru for 1800 and fine someone to install for way less then your 42xx quote..

I'm intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Archived