LegacyGT.com

Extra-S vs. Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110 - Comparison

JoeFromPA

NOTICE:

1. If you have mocked oil threads mercilessly, do not not this thread

2. If you spent less than 1 minute considering the type of oil to use in your car's engine beyond reading the owner's manual section on oil type, do not read this thread

3. If you think that synthetic oil has no real differences, do not read this thread

4. If you think the stock 05-09 Legacy GT shifting is great, do not read this thread

5. If you find yourself agreeing with Rao more and more, well, read this thread but seek psychiatric help

As of yesterday, I had about 31k on my Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110 in the trans and front diff. I had swapped out the crappy fluid a long time ago.

When I went to the amsoil, shifting became much more satisfying. The gearbox felt likely lined with a damping substance, instead of feeling like I was directly clanking metal around. I stopped hearing syncros on almost all shifts. Gear noise was down. Reverse still didn't want to engage about 30-40% of the time.

So I decided to check out Extra-S, which is almost exactly the same cost, and compare.

I find the shifting quality to be identical. Gear noise increased when I went to Extra-S. There is distinctly more gear-box whines and such at different times, though still less than stock.

Reverse gear didn't get any better so far but I'll wait to see how that does over the course of a few months.

Shifting still feels notchy (cobb STS) but satisfying to slide into each gear, so that's good.

Overall, I feel like I took a half step down in terms of the tangible benefits of the fluid.

Extra-S certainly flowed much more easily into the trans, much more quickly. It also came in nice 3m bottles from Fred Beans :)

And when winter comes, i'll evaluate how stiff it is to go into 2nd gear. With the amsoil, it was very stiff, often requiring 2-3 seconds of solid pressure before it would slide into 2nd. It never ground the gears though. In the past 30k, my gears have never maybe an audible grind.

But as of right now, when another 30k passes and it's time to do this again, I'll probably be going back to amsoil 75w110. If for no other reason than the slight decrease in gearbox noise for almost no difference in cost.

Hope this helps someone,

Joe

P.s. After 30k, my tranny drain plug had a very fine coating of metallic particles on and around the magnet. So fine that on my hand it just felt like lube. I also re-installed the drain plug, now two times, with the stock copper gasket and it's not leaking yet.

Since no one payed any attention to my notice, I will ignore yours also :lol:

That stuff sounds almost like it is magic :D

It is not possible that the Extra-s is not as good as Amsoil. Extra-S is obviously a lot harder to obtain than Amsoil so it must be better.

You reused the copper gasket :eek:

You had METAL PARTICLES on the drain plug - time for a transmission rebuild :eek:

:lol:

Glad you are enjoying the fluid, even though you clearly hate your car.

Nice thread, Joe. Make sure you keep us updated.

I'm gonna be doing my 30k service soon and will probably just get the Extra-S package from FBP. Subaru Bucks FTW!

At this point anything will be better than stock :(

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Rao,

I hate it with a passion reserved for tyrants usually :)

Honestly though, it's a great car with sub-par shifting quality, the thrashiest drivetrain ever invented, crappy jerky acceleration, under-damped, and mushy stock brakes. Oh, and the passenger seat sucks and my size 12 feet touch the floor AND the dash at the same time.

The steerings great though.

Since no one payed any attention to my notice, I will ignore yours also :lol:

That stuff sounds almost like it is magic :D

It is not possible that the Extra-s is not as good as Amsoil. Extra-S is obviously a lot harder to obtain than Amsoil so it must be better.

You reused the copper gasket :eek:

You had METAL PARTICLES on the drain plug - time for a transmission rebuild :eek:

:lol:

Glad you are enjoying the fluid, even though you clearly hate your car.

Nice thread, Joe. Make sure you keep us updated.

I'm gonna be doing my 30k service soon and will probably just get the Extra-S package from FBP. Subaru Bucks FTW!

At this point anything will be better than stock :(

I'll keep you updated. The stock fluid was terrible. I'm really curious how this stuff does in cold weather...if it's better than the AMSOIL, than I'd say they would balance out.

FYI, I put about 50 miles on the Extra-S yesterday.

I've also used Amsoil 75w-110 in my previous 05' 5mt. I remember how noticeably smoother shifting became as opposed to the stock fluid. The dealer had to replace and axel seal once and put the stock fluid back in the tranny. On the way back home I occasionaly felt a slight grind in the shifter, and the gear noise was much louder in 1st and 2nd. Next week I switch back to Amsoil, all was well. I woudl be curious to find out if there's any difference between the Amsoil 75W-90 and the 75w-110. In the winter the 75w-110 definaetly felt thick, just as thick as the stock fluid. Mabye 75w-90 would be a better option for me considerign the drastic change in seasons? The 75w-110 is great in the summer though.

I swapped to Amsoil shortly after buying the car (45k miles). Stock fluid sucked. Amsoil decreased gear whine and the car shifts smoother. Pretty happy overall. I did 75w-90 in the tranny and 75w-110 in the rear diff. The place I buy amsoil locally only had 5qts of 75w-90.:mad: From what I understand, spec wise there is no difference between the two aside from 110 can handle higher heat. My next change, I may try Eneos. I've heard good stuff about their products. And they are JDM tyte. LOL.

Shortly after I switched to Extra-S my center diff went out, actually more like 8,000 later. I'm trying to decide if I should go for Extra-S again or try something new. I got really bad whines in 2nd and 3rd with cheap stuff from my local auto parts store so I noticed that Extra-S is a lot quieter.

• 1 month later...

Small update on this: gearbox shifts real nice and smooth and I had alot of fun driving around this weekend, but I also am getting alot more syncro noise in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear when shifting at 2500-3000 rpms. It's that clear ~1 second of "wind up" noise as the shifter moves into the gear.

Doesn't seem like anythign to be concerned about, just appears to not dampen noise quite as much. The shift quality itself feels quite good, along with the short shifter and cut-out insulation & rubber boot pieces.

45k miles now and clutch feels great too...

• 4 months later...
All sarcasm aside, I find that switching to Extra-S really shows its benefits in the second change. I change fluid every 15k. The first switch to Extra-S is nice. The second round always seems to really be the hot ticket. On my cars I switch over to Extra-S right away (at 1000 miles) and then again at 5k I drain and fill. From there its every 15k. Just my 2cents.

I change fluid every 15k as well. Cheap insurance.

I use the Lightweight Shockproof (smurfblood) and Motul mix. Hands down the best transmission fluid setup I've ever run, and I've got more than a little experience with transmissions.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I change fluid every 15k as well. Cheap insurance.

I use the Lightweight Shockproof (smurfblood) and Motul mix. Hands down the best transmission fluid setup I've ever run, and I've got more than a little experience with transmissions.

Is your mix 50/50 or 3/1 redline to motul?

Right now, 50/50 but when I do my 30k change, I'll do 3 redline to 1 shockproof.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I went with Motul everything and its amazing… Super quiet & buttery smooth… Brakes are much more responsive now, and engine is very very smooth compared to the brands I had before… Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1, (whatever subie dealerships use)…. Used 5 w30 each time for the motor… Used the 600 series stuff for the brakes, and IIRC 75w90 for the diff and tranny...

• 1 year later...

Archived