LegacyGT.com

Fog Light replacement Guide

Hello folks,

Today we discuss fog light replacement. If you are like me this:

fogl2.JPG.c82d4598488b7495cf0deb59aff7d18d.JPG

may have happened to you while enjoying your Legacy. :mad: Mine was due to a large rock that made its way off a dump truck while driving in I-64 near Covington.

As you can see once the glass lens is fractured it doesn't take long for it to rust and corrode the internal housing resulting in a nasty looking fog light.

I found a killer deal on Amazon for a replacement light:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I176CM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Killer Fog Light Deal[/ame]

So lets get started:cool:

Tools:

-10mm ratchet/wrench

-Flat head

-Pliers

-Flash light

1. Jack the car up a few inches to gain more room to work with the light assembly. **Note you may be able to do it just fine without the jack if you have inclined driveway or can park such that the front of the car hangs over an edge.

2. Get down and look for the driver side splash guard pop-its:

fogl3.JPG.d14a1213a7383c73f42b2af38d920772.JPG

If you have never had your front bumper off you may have more pop-its than shown. I have had my bumper off to be painted and did not reinstall all the pop-its.

3. Remove the pop-its that secure the splash guard to the bottom edge of the bumper.

4. Take your flat head and pry out the guard (it is a flexible piece and can be done using your hands as well. Once done pull it down to expose the foglight from the bottom. Also unplug the wire from the bulb.

fogl1.JPG.341cb82c46f43b6bbdf15f0813a5e4f6.JPG

5. Here is where a flash light will come in handy. Shine it into the cavity to find the two 10mm bolts that affix the light assembly to the the inside of the bumper:

fogl4.JPG.4a261ccabf4d10e064660064b00eafbc.JPG

6. Remove these two bolts. Now there are two sets of tab/clips that hold the light onto the edges of the bumper housing instead of trying to pry these off with your flat head (and inevitably break them) simply push the fog light back out of the housing through the front of the bumper. You will have a nice empty space.

fogl5.JPG.2e72a6470612202705960c0ba5be69ad.JPG

Here is what the crappy cracked light looks like beside a new shiny one:

fogl7.JPG.c6368e9025b45f59a5c602c388d52310.JPG

Mine was full of sand and water.

7. Put the new assembly back into the bumper housing the same way it came out, making sure to push it firmly into place. You will know when it is in far enough b/c the two 10mm bolt holes will line up with the housing holes. Also note from this picture:

fogl5.JPG.2e72a6470612202705960c0ba5be69ad.JPG

The tabs on the replacement light will be perpendicular to the edges of the plastic housing went pushed fully into place.

8. Hand tighten the bolts and reattach the wire to the bulb. **This housing comes loaded with a bulb so no need to buy a bulb :)

9. Before snugging the bolts turn your lights on and make sure they are aimed properly. The best way to determine this is to park in front of a wall, door etc and look at the light pattern. If the lower light beam is off adjust it by pushing( from the front of the fog light) on the top or bottom, left or right edges of the fog light lens to match the other one or your aiming preference.

10. Once satisfied tighten the bolts a 1/2 turn past tight and if possible add a dab of anti-seize as these bolts are exposed to the elements and are in aluminum mounting tabs.

11. Replace splash guard and pop-its and you are done!

Total cost was $65 for the housing and I got free shipping (Prime subscriber)

If the light doesn't come on make sure the plug is fully seating into the light plug.

• 2 weeks later...
I just removed both of my fog lamps and they are both cracked. The driver side chrome is toast, actually looks like toast! I'm thinking I could throw them in the oven, glue the glass, and sand/spray the chrome. My bumper is off and it's raining.

Oh yeah bake them to open than patch it all up could be a neat and cheap solution. What glue would you use for the glass? If you do this throw up a pic :)

• 4 weeks later...

I liked the ccfl lamps and was going to buy since my oem lamps did NOT clean up to well. I decided not to buy the EBay ones after reading they use an H3 bulb and the 2008/2009 LGT's use the 9006 bulb, which I already have a Diode Dynamics 6000K HID kit for.

So, unless someone responds to my WTB for fog lamps, I guess I'll be buying the same lamp from Amazon as the OP...:(

Thanks for another write-up... But man, you should have gotten these:

LINKY

Those are great, but you can save yourself some bucks if you already have oem bezels and drop in these:

http://dx.com/p/ccfl-55w-3000k-350lm-car-angel-eyes-projector-fog-lamps-pair-12v-104406

The bezels have a diameter of 3.1", while those fogs are 3.19" so they fit very snugly. Throw in some glue or epoxy for good measure, add a relay in the fuse box, and you have some fogs. Guess what my current project is :)

Archived