LegacyGT.com

just got an 09 pzev...what are my future options???

Hi guys, I just got a 2009 pzev. Looking at all the proud GT owners on here and their own superiority complex, i figured I would pave my own lane with my pzev and see what I can do..

What are some mods I can do to my 2009 special edition? Will any boltons(intake/exhaust/header) negate the whole pzev situation, or is it just downright useless on a slow vehicle such as mine...and if i get coilovers(to improve stance and handling), is it not worth the price in your opinion?

As of now, my plans include a grill, clear corners and a thorough interior detailing job(lot of stains on tan cloth).

What are your recommendations/opinions on maintaining and modding my 2009 pzev, as i plan on keeping this car for many years to come(40k miles, I am the second owner).

Thanks!

swap to black interior

go lower if you like the look

no boltons for you (all show, no go)

hogzaust for sound

make it your own

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

plan on doing looks and suspension. Don't expect anything performance wise. Exhaust is only good for changing the sound. I would assume anything you do to the exhaust, intake or motor in any way will void its 'pzev-ness'.

Welcome...and subscribe for the inevitable reaction you're going to get soon.

Future options?

Keep it stock, and keep it well maintained. What else do you want from it?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

pzev is really bullshit. And I don't think your car is really special because it's a "pzev". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_zero-emissions_vehicle It's really just a fuel evap system that has no emissions, as well as low tailpipe emissions, and more importantly, a badge that brings granolas into dealerships. If I was you my first mod would be to debadge that pzev thing off of there. But yeah, you're not going to make any more power out of the n/a motor realistically.

Before I turboed my 09 2.5i PZEV I did the following:

Took off the pzev badge.

Light weight crank pulley.

HIDs.

SPT cat-back exhaust (looks great and sounds great).

Wheels/Tires.

Super Hella Tones.

If I hadn't turboed it I would have done the following with that money instead:

Sway bars and end links.

Different wheels/tires.

Struts/Springs.

That's about it on top of what I had done. As far as go mods for the 2.5i, there aren't any. I did the SRI and it didn't work. I ran lean, through a code, went into limp mode. Tried to get tuned, but there weren't any maps for my car at the time. There weren't any when I got tuned for the turbo either, but my tuner was gifted.

Just keep it clean and upgrade the suspension.

Thanks for the replies...

Now im not a tree-hugger, but I dont see why the pzev badge is something to be ashamed of...if anything, I think it's kinda cool in this day and age, with global warming and natural disasters and mother nature basically fighting back against mankind's destruction (not trying to be too philosophical)

1stick3pedals - ive seen your previous posts and your boosted 2.5i...sick. ill do some research on what sway bars and end links do, along with a light weight crank pulley..but you would go with struts/springs over a coilover system? whys that..(and what is super hella tones)

SCASEYS - how would I go about swapping the interior to black? ...i know if I get leather seats, the airbag wont work in them...What other pieces would I be looking to get, the door panels and seats?

Leviman- haha you spiteful little goofball.

cseagle08 - it says you've got an 09 non-pzev, non-gt..and you live in socal. your fucked up in the game out there. (atleast you got an 02 camaro SS and a 78 chevy right...)

1stick3pedals - ive seen your previous posts and your boosted 2.5i...sick. ill do some research on what sway bars and end links do, along with a light weight crank pulley..but you would go with struts/springs over a coilover system? whys that..(and what is super hella tones)

I'm not into the slammed scene, so the konis/epic engineering springs will drop me around an inch which is plenty for me and provide adjustable dampening. From what I've read $1k coilovers get you what you pay for. Typically a harsh ride. But it honestly depends on your preference at the end of the day.

And super hella tones are horns, 118dB, typically mounted behind the grill; so they are a large upgrade over stock horns.

oh yea...those two big red things behind the grill..haha im definitely getting those, for the left lane bandits on the highway and people who honk because I didnt race off when the light turns green, ill give em a surprise return.

Im definitely about ride quality(rarely do spirited-driving), so i guess coilovers might not be the solution.

cool..

oh yea...those two big red things behind the grill..haha im definitely getting those, for the left lane bandits on the highway and people who honk because I didnt race off when the light turns green, ill give em a surprise return.

Im definitely about ride quality(rarely do spirited-driving), so i guess coilovers might not be the solution.

cool..

The Konis are nice, they allow you to adjust dampening. So you can set it for a softer setting for daily driving, and then a firmer setting if you want to auto-x for example.

Here's a link with plenty of pictures.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-shock-strut-epic-engineering-spring-install-145744.html

Haha he called me a goofball. But what I'm getting at is that the pzev thing is really nothing special, it's not like it's a plug-in hybrid or something. But if you like it, rock it by all means.

Hey i have an 09 Legacy special edition as well and i was wondering if aftermarket catbacks such as this one -->http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-DUAL-MUFFLER-CATBACK-CAT-BACK-EXHAUST-SUBARU-LEGACY-TURBO-2-5L-/180912280940?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1f36556c&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

Will be able to bolt right up to my exhaust even though all the exhausts i find are for LGT cars?

If anyone could help answer my question i would really appreciate it!

Thanks for the replies...

SCASEYS - how would I go about swapping the interior to black? ...i know if I get leather seats, the airbag wont work in them...What other pieces would I be looking to get, the door panels and seats?

QUOTE]

buy the radio wings a kick panels from Mas in this thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-pa-nj-almost-complete-stage-3-kit-and-other-190697.html

I have a complete black center console w/ Si-drive but no heated seats

switch for sale too

then glovebox and on and on...

there is an entire thread on looking to swap interior

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

You should get the NTD Throttle controller. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-test-ntd-throttle-control-unit-123112.html

It'll add a more fun to the ride. I also got a K&N panel filter. Both actually seem to be helping the mpg, plus make it more responsive. Next stop will be whiteline adjustible rear sway, kartboy end links, and the AVO braces for mounting the sway bar. After that will probably be konis and maybe Tein H springs, but need my oem shock to demonstrate more wear to justify to wifey...

I debadged my pzev as the badge is cheapo and its fake-chromey stuff was peeling.

• 4 weeks later...
pzev is really bullshit. And I don't think your car is really special because it's a "pzev". If I was you my first mod would be to debadge that pzev thing off of there.

LMAO 1st thing I did was debadge the car and toss that pzev out, cheapest mod you can do. Heat it up take it off, then start saving money.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey i have an 09 Legacy special edition as well and i was wondering if aftermarket catbacks such as this one -->http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-DUAL-MUFFLER-CATBACK-CAT-BACK-EXHAUST-SUBARU-LEGACY-TURBO-2-5L-/180912280940?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1f36556c&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

Will be able to bolt right up to my exhaust even though all the exhausts i find are for LGT cars?

If anyone could help answer my question i would really appreciate it!

The exhausts bolt on from what I understand but only the axle back. It wont be the same catback wise cause of the downpipe? I could be wrong but I know the cans will fit, the hangers are the same.

You should get the NTD Throttle controller. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-test-ntd-throttle-control-unit-123112.html

It'll add a more fun to the ride. I also got a K&N panel filter. Both actually seem to be helping the mpg, plus make it more responsive. Next stop will be whiteline adjustible rear sway, kartboy end links, and the AVO braces for mounting the sway bar. After that will probably be konis and maybe Tein H springs, but need my oem shock to demonstrate more wear to justify to wifey...

I debadged my pzev as the badge is cheapo and its fake-chromey stuff was peeling.

I def debadged mine, looked so much better without it.

also, I would do more research in the h-techs. I had them and they provided a very nice drop but they were a little soft. I went from stock struts with h-techs to specb bilsteins and eibachs and the ride is alot firmer and more responsive. Although, the drop is more conversative

The exhausts bolt on from what I understand but only the axle back. It wont be the same catback wise cause of the downpipe? I could be wrong but I know the cans will fit, the hangers are the same.

Any catback exhaust for the LGT will fit the 2.5i.

I personally have the SPT catback. Fits just like on an LGT.

Archived