LegacyGT.com

What'd you do to your FIRST Gen. Subaru today?

I will take lots of pics,may begin a proper build journal. I havent worked on anything with the rear end before. Im planning on leaving the wheels on and dropping the whole crossmember down without taking much off it.

I will be painting it eventually, I do all my own body work, there's a decent dent in the corner next to the taillight that will take some skills. I imagine ill drive it around primed for a while. Let bodywork expand and contract,maskit myself and ill probably get a 400$paintjob from maaco. If you do the work yourself and make em repaint it till your happy..... you can actually get a pretty decent paintjob. I've gotten 2 that came out good after some color sanding. Not sure I'm gonna change the color though. The silver/light blue color is growing on me and when I get my black wheels and the ride height lowered, it might win my heart. It'll be giving the local nasioc sti's a run for their money when we cruise up the mountains.

new guy here..... i put some pics of my 93 wagon in the "post pics of your subaru" topic.. and did a quite of bit of stuff since snatching it up a year ago. Thought id post some of my "work" here thougt.,,,, as this thread implies " what did you do to your FIRST gen today".....

but since i got it, (and MAJORLY cleaning the heck out of it!!!!), its got a Kenwood headunit going to a Cadence 75X4 amp that powers Alpine type s 6.5 components in the front doors and Apline type s coaxials in the back and an additional set of Cheapo Boss tweeters in the dash for a little better sound stage up front. Bass is handled by a Sound Ordance 8" powered sub from Crutchfield under the front seat.

I also read a few other Subie forums on the issue of the torque converter not getting locked up till the trans hits a certain temp..... that KILLS your cold weather highway fuel mileage..... ( i was only getting an average of 20mpg in the winter... 85% highway driving staying right at 65 mph.), SO... i re-wired the "manual" button on my shifter to command the TCC to lock up when i push it... AND it turns on the MANUAL light on the dash.... works like a dream!!!! now i average at least 24mpg...(u just have to remember to turn if off before slowing down!!!).... speaking of the trans... im running Valvoline MAX life trans fluid anyways.... great fluid...

LED interior dome lights plus added a couple 194 sockets to the footwell area...

I havent done TOO much.... its a station wagon..... not a sports car lol... oh,,,, driving lights, Perrin lwcp, Purolator Pureone Filters and i run Rotella T6 5w-40.... im just kicking myself for putting Bendix CQ's on instead of the Akebono........ but thats another story.....................

i should add i bought it last june with 257000 miles and a known cracked radiator,.. which turned into replacing the motor.... but since im a mechanic and work in a shop for a living... this was cake.. the car spent its life on the west coast and the owner moved here to indiana and then sold me the car.. its immaculate... with absolutely no rust and all the original suspension and exhaust... and it rides so nice and smooth. You would never tell it now has 269000 miles.... hitting 400,000 wont be an issue!!!

Edited by mnstrmech

USLiberty: Sweet, man :D I'll be waiting on that journal.

monster: These things do pretty well off-road. Yes,

even the wagons ;) Sounds like an awesome deal dude!

The car's very clean too.

Also, I got the engine out of the green one.

Cleaned the engine and the IAC. Broke into the

timing and changed the front main seal, front

cam seals, rear cam o ring, cleaned the grounds,

cleaned the engine bay, polished all the AC lines

and really anything that would shine up since it's

all out, cleaned the trans bell housing and probably

some other crap I'm forgetting. Now all that's left is

to take out that clutch fork, polish and grease it and

give it some new clips and drop the new clutch/pp/

tob in there and the engine goes back in :D

Edited by Legacy Wagon

here's some close ups of some of the things i did...

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4152/img0017ok.th.jpg

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2442/img0016nu.th.jpg

my lip spoiler thats patio brick edging.... cost 5 bucks at a home improvement store...

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/2207/img0004oua.th.jpghttp://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3362/img0001hq.th.jpg

my strut tower bar i made for less than 30 bucks... its defiantly not structural... more for looks.... i just built for the heck of it...

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9854/img0011ph.th.jpg

but the master cylinder brace.... it works great!!... very consistent and firmer brake pedal....

a new auxiliary cooling fan

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4130/img0005dp.th.jpg

aftermarket... since some replacement parts a difficult to find....

and since i don't have a good pic... i will let everyone on a secret.... that pesky CEL code for the EVAP purge valve.... ya,, mine had it too when i bought my car... but i discovered that the purge valve from a 2001 GEO Tracker has the same resistance readings (30ohm's) and the connector is the same as our wiring harness.... so it plugs right in and works!!!

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3386/img0012qmf.th.jpg

Edited by mnstrmech

i actually found this out when i was swapping out the engine in the boss's brothers tracker... he left the old engine laying around and i snatched up the evap valve and was gonna just change the connector on the harness.... only to find out it was the same!!

I am throwing the code for the evap purge control valve. From what I have read it doesn't affect the performance of the car, but I will still get around to replacing mine soon. Unfortunately on the turbo leggies the evap valve is underneath the intake manifold so it is a bitch to get at unless you remove the intake mani. However sqc151 just moved his to the top of his for better access. I have a spare one I grabbed of a junk leggy, a new OEM replacement from Subaru is about $120. I wonder if the Geo tracker valves are cheaper.

edit: Looks like you made the master cylinder brace, right? A Grimmspeed brace will run you about $100. If you made it, do you feel like making some cheap ones for us? :) I need a couple.

u dont have to remove the intake manifold. but it is a bit of a bitch to get to.

and yes, move it to the top for easier access next time.

before

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa474/sqc151/93%20SS%20turbo/photobucket-4732-1323135264778.jpg

after

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa474/sqc151/93%20SS%20turbo/photobucket-4772-1323135265301.jpg

edit: Looks like you made the master cylinder brace, right? A Grimmspeed brace will run you about $100. If you made it, do you feel like making some cheap ones for us? :) I need a couple.

ya.. as a matter of fact... this forum and Grimspeed are how i learned about the brace. i started researching for replacement crank pulleys because mine appeared to be separating and i swear it was making a knocking sound... so i learned about the grimmspeed and perrin lcp and on Grimspeeds site i found the MC brace there.

i do also have the Perrin LCP now....

and i just might fab up a few extra braces.........................

i honestly cant tell a bit of difference in the lighter pulley... all i know is i like the fact that it doesnt have rubber in the middle that way it wont separate.. but i do believe it idles a tiny bit smoother........ or it could be me......

Yeah, the rubber thing has been called a harmonic dampener, but even Subaru says that is isn't actually a harmonic dampener, or at least function as one. The consensus is that it made for a cheaper manufacturing process. You can find threads where people argue for days about it, lol. If it really was necessary then fancy LCPs would have to have them.

I drove the SS around town since it needed gas so I offered to fill it up. I am still getting some funky misfiring problem on the passenger side until it warms up. Damn it!

I am pretty sure the driver side cam seal is leaking now. I just replaced it! I don't feel like tearing into it right now so I will just keep adding oil. It is losing about 3/4 quart a week at this rate along with the crack in the oil pan. :(

But I'll be done painting the second gen leggy next week and then I will have some time to devote to the SS.