LegacyGT.com

2008 Spec B, great price but wary

THE RZA

I found this Spec B recently on craigslist going for a really low price of 11k, I was able to talk him down to 10k. Car has 98k miles on it but has a salvage title. I asked him what the story was behind it and it just doesn't seem to add up to me. According to the seller, the previous owner of the car was involved in a fender bender where the front bumper and grill were damaged, the previous owner did not want to fix it and insurance took possession of the car, they fixed it and they sold it to him via auction with a salvage title. Having been in a similar situation myself with my 2.5i once that repair isn't THAT costly that I don't see how any owner wouldn't want to make those repairs. Owner tells me the car has a new timing belt and banjo bolts were replaced at 75k. The car has been up for sale for a while now, likely due to the salvage title. I requested to have the car looked at by AZP installs and have a compression test done and it seems to be up in the air unless I make him a serious offer. The price looks really good for this car, just skeptical with the salvage title. Honestly anyone selling a 08 Spec B these days this is the right price for this car now.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/4922692987.html

If you're paying for the inspection, he shouldn't have a problem with it. Atleast a decent seller shouldn't. If not, he may be hiding something.

If everything passes. go take a look at it. Check the body panels and see if vins match ( IE: the hood), paint impurities from repair, body lines, seams, spot welds around the headlights and radiator.

that's what I'm thinking a $35,000 needing $2-3,000 max in repairs if it was just the bumper and grill why it would become salvage. I've always had a soft spot for the 08-09 Spec B's, unfortunately most people reselling their spec b's these days are asking ridiculously high prices for one.

More than likely it needed a new front end and possibly cooling and front engine work (impact took out the radiator and timing) still if it was put back together properly and it checks out via pre purchase inspection that is all the dilligence once can do. Get the VIN see if you can track the history and the shop that rebuilt the car. Say you check it out and it is legit would you make and offer?

You are right these days even the 09s are becoming like the 05s 2-3 years ago: neglected grenades or overpriced.

Maybe I should find my LGT and buy it back from the owner:lol:

More than likely it needed a new front end and possibly cooling and front engine work (impact took out the radiator and timing) still if it was put back together properly and it checks out via pre purchase inspection that is all the dilligence once can do. Get the VIN see if you can track the history and the shop that rebuilt the car. Say you check it out and it is legit would you make and offer?

You are right these days even the 09s are becoming like the 05s 2-3 years ago: neglected grenades or overpriced.

Maybe I should find my LGT and buy it back from the owner:lol:

Haha my thoughts exactly. I'm still like, trade in mine for LGT? Or swap? Or just sell and buy something else for my fun car...

How did you go from 2.5i to LGT to Camry.........

If AZP Installs is going to check it out, you are going to get a good idea of the issues. They do have a good rep here, so expect a fair assessment. IF seller balks, ask yourself how much you want the car? Then ask yourself how much more money you are willing to put into it? It's a game of roulette at that point.

On every car I've sold, I've offered to take the car in for the PPI and pay for it. I sold my truck without it (no one wanted to pay for the PPI), and the brakes failed as I was dropping it off (after getting my money). For a turbo, a PPI is a requirement in my book. YMMV.

Haha my thoughts exactly. I'm still like, trade in mine for LGT? Or swap? Or just sell and buy something else for my fun car...

How did you go from 2.5i to LGT to Camry.........

Well gather round and Ill tell a tale of a man and hiw Subarus.....:lol:

Bought the 2.5i brand new 2 miles on the clock in 2008 b/c then I was trying to be fiscally responsible and LGTs were non existent on the dealers lots fast forward to Dec 2013 and I found a dream 09LGT OBP no wing in FL i sold my 2.5i went down bought that car and loved her dearly.

Then I transfered jobs to 1 block away from my apt, didnt drive the LGT and thought "what if i could save for a house???" Regrettably I sold it and knew it was a bad idea the whole time. I always had the Cam so instead of a reliable and fun car i only have a reliable one :(

So here I am where I started looking for another legacy.

Bought the 2.5i brand new 2 miles on the clock in 2008 b/c then I was trying to be fiscally responsible and LGTs were non existent on the dealers lots fast forward to Dec 2013 and I found a dream 09LGT OBP no wing in FL i sold my 2.5i went down bought that car and loved her dearly.

Then I transfered jobs to 1 block away from my apt, didnt drive the LGT and thought "what if i could save for a house???" Regrettably I sold it and knew it was a bad idea the whole time. I always had the Cam so instead of a reliable and fun car i only have a reliable one :(

Doh...

I always thought the "06 Camry" thing in your profile was a joke (because without the hoodscoop or wing, the Legacy looks like a fairly nondescript car -- like a Camry).

• 2 months later...
So my 2.5i took a dump on sunday. 133k miles and the short block and trans blew. The smoking gun factor I have no clue because I religiously changed the oil every 5k miles, always put good gas in the car. Long story short, I'll be the owner of a 2015 WRX as of tomorrow.

So my 2.5i took a dump on sunday. 133k miles and the short block and trans blew. The smoking gun factor I have no clue because I religiously changed the oil every 5k miles, always put good gas in the car. Long story short, I'll be the owner of a 2015 WRX as of tomorrow.

Damn:eek: Well on one hand that suck ass, on the other hand you made a good move and financing options are cheap these days the 15 is a sweet sweet ride! I hope you got the 6MT!

So did you have any sweet parts on your 2.5i? :rolleyes::lol::confused::):p

I always thought the "06 Camry" thing in your profile was a joke (because without the hoodscoop or wing, the Legacy looks like a fairly nondescript car -- like a Camry).

Well since then I bought my old 2.5i back so I actually have a Legacy again :)

Damn:eek: Well on one hand that suck ass, on the other hand you made a good move and financing options are cheap these days the 15 is a sweet sweet ride! I hope you got the 6MT!

So did you have any sweet parts on your 2.5i? :rolleyes::lol::confused::):p

Just Rallitek sways that were pretty sweet, but almost futile. I got more from insurance than I would have selling the thing :lol: and yes, it's 6MT

I already did forget those days :lol: Hitting 80 in 3rd gear at 2500 RPMs is pretty sweet. I love the color myself, it wasn't my top choice (I wanted galaxy blue) but now that I have this I do like the ISM, it's not as bright in person and it's a nice contrast to the black wheels....any other color this car the 2015 wheels don't look good IMO.

I already began with some small aesthetic mods, had 30% tint done all around, just ordered HLM Yellow fog bulbs, Cree 6000k high beam/DRL's (to get rid of the yellow halogens), and HLM LED License plate lights. No intentions on doing any power or suspension modifications any time soon, maybe a Accessport once I break the car in enough. Otherwise out of the box this car has plenty of bite and handles extremely well that I don't have this desire to add more power.

Archived