LegacyGT.com

Southbend Clutches?

Akasa

So, i'm looking at a replacement clutch eventually. I've heard only good things about southbend clutches, but I haven't seen many reviews at all, especially not searching this site.

So my question is, who here has a southbend and how is it? How long have you been running it? Where did you buy yours?

I am planning on getting a stage 2 clutch, and southbend is the only manufacturer I have come across that doesn't have mixed reviews and absurd failure rates *cough* clutchmasters :rolleyes: *cough*.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have used SB clutches for 10 years now in different cars. Always great. Super good customer service too. I bought mine from SB directly, but I noticed infamous has 10% off this month and sells SB.

Which type do you have again? Stage 2 daily/endurance? I've seen you post about it somewhere among my searches.

I actually had the daily, but it started slipping under full throttle due to wearing out so fast, but I have a light weight flywheel and SB said that was the cause. I sent in my clutch and they upgraded me to a brand new Endurance for $125 shipped. I suspect had I not had the light weight flywheel the daily would have lasted a long time. I have a pretty built set up tho. Not sure what kinda power your making.

Also to note, I now have a SMFW. No more light weight.

How many miles were on it when it started slipping, and how many miles are on your current? You're now using the WRX OEM flywheel, right?

9k when started slipping, like I said tho Southbend took care of me even tho I was using the lightweight flywheel. Yes now I'm using the wrx single mass flywheel. I have about 1k I think on the new one. I have always used SB in the past with great luck. I know some people with over 80k on there SB clutch and still going strong.

I am running the stage 3 daily in my LGT. I have had it less than 1K miles, but so far it works like stock except the pedal is about 30% stiffer. It is easy to engage which was very important to me.

I did a lot of research after many of the forum had issues with the Clutchmaster's. I found that a full face clutch like the OEM ones should provide longer life due to the added surface area.

I actually had the daily, but it started slipping under full throttle due to wearing out so fast, but I have a light weight flywheel and SB said that was the cause. I sent in my clutch and they upgraded me to a brand new Endurance for $125 shipped. I suspect had I not had the light weight flywheel the daily would have lasted a long time. I have a pretty built set up tho. Not sure what kinda power your making.

Brian, I forgot to ask, with this setup, are you now using the wrx 06 flywheel? Or which flywheel are you using? I just want to make sure that everything fits on my setup.

• 4 weeks later...

The pedal is the same as the stage 2 daily, actually the entire pressure plate is identical, only the disk material is different. One side is organic or whatever and one side if feramic( if I spelled that right?) I am making around 300WHP (for what its worth since your comparing yours to VD, it says I make 354whp)

I had the stage 2 daily, and it started slipping after 10K miles. I talked to SB about it and they offered to replace it for free but blamed it on my lightweight flywheel. They also offered to upgrade me to the endurance for $75 so I went ahead and did that. I am using the stock SMFW though, no more LWFW. I love the Endurance, very smooth and easy to drive. Holds the power nice.

• 2 months later...

Another happy user here with the SB.

I installed my South Bend Stage 2 Endurance yesterday after my Clutch Masters FX250 went out after 6 months of use.

Wow.. night and day difference in how light the pedal feel is and engagement. Crazy smooth, no chatter whatsoever!

I am running the stage 3 daily in my LGT. I have had it less than 1K miles, but so far it works like stock except the pedal is about 30% stiffer. It is easy to engage which was very important to me.

I did a lot of research after many of the forum had issues with the Clutchmaster's. I found that a full face clutch like the OEM ones should provide longer life due to the added surface area.

Sweet...the SB stage 3 daily is what I was looking to get too but the stage 2 endurance is on the money with my build...decisions decisions...

Doesn't the SB clutch come with a new throw out bearing as well?

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

I have about 2000 miles on my SB stage 3 daily. I love it! Very drivable. No shudder. The pedal is lighter than my POS CM fx350 and maybe lighter than stock certainly no stiffer. The only negative is some rattle on decel between 2k and 2.5k rpm. SB says this is normal. If it is, I'm ok with it. Fair trade for the drivability. i just hope it's not actually something more serious...

Literally just finished installing my SB stg3 daily. Haven't drove it yet, still in pain from putting trans back on.

I bought mine from race junky. He was the only one that really took the time to answer my pm's.

Cheapest too plus I received it in 2 days. I payed $940 I believe.

I have about 2000 miles on my SB stage 3 daily. I love it! Very drivable. No shudder. The pedal is lighter than my POS CM fx350 and maybe lighter than stock certainly no stiffer. The only negative is some rattle on decel between 2k and 2.5k rpm. SB says this is normal. If it is, I'm ok with it. Fair trade for the drivability. i just hope it's not actually something more serious...

I have 3K miles on my SB stage 3 daily. It found it slightly stiffer than my OEM 5sp clutch. I also have the decel rattle between 2K to 3K RPMs. So far I am happy, but time will tell.

Archived