LegacyGT.com

Sirius or XM?

mlloydlgt

Sirius or XM  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Sirius or XM

I'd like to see, without the off topic debates, if you were to choose (or already have) which service you chose. Sirius or XM.

Siriushttp://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/graphics/brandedstores/sirius/sirius_logo0316.gif

Pros:

Cost

Plug and Play

More unit options

More units of smaller sizes

Cons:

Smaller Company

Reports of poor reception

Programming?

XM http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/graphics/brandedstores/xmradio/xm_logo0325.gif

Pros:

Where it all got started....

Wider network

Cons:

Price

Less variation in items available

ClearChannel

I personally have XM and love it, though I wish there was the a better equivalent to Sirius' 'New Wave' station ;)

Oh, and ClearChannel is not a major investor in XM anymore. Part of my reasoning for going with XM - the Clear Channel stations in RIC are awful and spend 50 minutes every hour bashing the Cox Radio Stations, while Cox does the exact same.

I love XM...Opie and Anthony on Channel 202 Rock! Now they got Ron and Fez. The little Doggie Company has gigantic recievers. I love my Delphi SkyFi. my bro just ordered his MyFi, so I am waiting to see that. XM may have less unit options, but they have better technology. Does sirius even have a portable player that can hold more than 2 hours of saved radio? The Myfi holds like 5 hours of saved xm when you are on the move. Sorry to be a Sirius basher, but I do love my XM. Just wish they would bring the Metal station back. At least in the MLB off season. Miss Fez

Not to mention the fact that sirius was allegedly inflating their subscription #'s. They were allegedly including non-purchased new cars with Sirius enabled radios in their subscription numbers. So new cars sitting in dealerships were allegedly included in the sirius Sub numbers. Can't remember which car companies though. http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/xm-vs-sirius-subscriber-numbers.html

I'm with sirius, i've heard both and it comes down to what u like to listen to. xm offers wierder channels, like christian country rock or something like that (sorry to all the fans of this genre). u get the point. sirius has a nicer selection of channels, a bit more diverse and satisfying imo. you pay more, but for a reason. i am actually piggybacking on a relatives plan, so i'm paying 8 or 9 a month. even still, its very much worth it if you like to listen to music and what the exclusivity of commercial-free digital radio. unfortunately i have it running through a hardwires fm modulator, but its still acceptable quality. go to stores and try both of them out. see what you like.

I've got XM and love it.... Played with sirius on several occasions in rental cars and it never seems to stack up against XM.

I'm not sure if sirius does this now or not, but XM also lets you stream stations online for no extra cost, so I can listen to it all day at work and in the car.

The imfamous Sirius vs XM thread. People will bash what they don't have! Go to their websites, sign up for a 3 day web trial and decide which you like. Same service, same price, slightly different in terms of their content and variety (which is a personal preference).

Geez....subscriber numbers, tuner size, etc....do those really matter? NO! They are both the freakin same guys! :rolleyes: Pick the one that has the best content for you!

-S

I have Sirius and love it for my long commute. Depending on the day I'll listen to talk, rock, club mix, classical or kids music (when my son is in the car). It's great choosing a music genre and getting all music with no commercials (I know this is the same on XM). I chose Sirius over XM because I worked on the Sirius satellites. But I suspect there are a lot more similarities than differences between the services. A friend of mine has both and he doesn't think there's a huge difference. -Matt

Geez....subscriber numbers, tuner size, etc....do those really matter? NO! They are both the freakin same guys! :rolleyes: Pick the one that has the best content for you!

-S

Tuner size is important to me because the XM ones are huge boxes and ugly (their plug-and-play verions, anyway) and the XM Commander isn't PnP. I want something that will hide away in the cubby when not being used.

I got XM for my car as an Xmas present. It took me awhile to find some channels I like honestly, but I'm fairly satisfied with Squizz + a couple others now.

The Dish Network I just re-hooked up again looks like it comes with all the Sirius channels now. I think there are probably more channels I would like on Sirius given some that I've browsed through, so if I was picking from scratch, that's probably what i'd go with, but I'm satisfied with my XM for now (especially since I'm not paying for it & it's already installed :)).

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I had sirius in my wrangler till I bought the LGT. It a close toss up between the two. One has a couple of better options than the other I personaly am going to XM (because of baseball) and I know Im gonna miss some of the new age stuff from sirius. Other than that I feel they are relatively equal.
check us out here http://newenglandsubarus.com/

Stern kicks ass. At some point when I get satellite radio, I am going w/ Sirius. Haven't used either of them but if I am going to pay for radio I definately want to be able to tune into Stern when he is no longer under the restraints of the fu*k*ng FCC.

Stern kicks ass. At some point when I get satellite radio, I am going w/ Sirius. Haven't used either of them but if I am going to pay for radio I definately want to be able to tune into Stern when he is no longer under the restraints of the fu*k*ng FCC.

Stern was good in the 80's and early 90's. His show is going no where if you ask me.

Get XM. 5 million subscribers can't be wrong. I'm one of them :)

Sure they can.

XM launched first and got a big headstart.

MOST of their subscribers came in the fact that

in 2001 they got GM to sign a contract offering XM

as an exclusive in GM's line up.

That added MILLIONS of members.

You're also doing something wrong by getting a GM these days.

And as for Stern....he has more listeners now than he's ever had before.

YOU may be burned out on him after a couple decades of listening, but

there are MILLIONS of Gen X'ers that still love him and

MILLIONS more Gen Y'ers that are just starting to listen to him now.

XM is for GM and Hyundai drivers who LISTEN (yawn) to Golf and like Clear Channel Communications and Ryan Seacrest.

Sirius is for BMW and Mercedes drivers who love the NBA, NFL, and listen to Howard Stern.

Get Sirius!

Sure they can.

XM launched first and got a big headstart.

MOST of their subscribers came in the fact that

in 2001 they got GM to sign a contract offering XM

as an exclusive in GM's line up.

That added MILLIONS of members.

You're also doing something wrong by getting a GM these days.

And as for Stern....he has more listeners now than he's ever had before.

YOU may be burned out on him after a couple decades of listening, but

there are MILLIONS of Gen X'ers that still love him and

MILLIONS more Gen Y'ers that are just starting to listen to him now.

XM is for GM and Hyundai drivers who LISTEN (yawn) to Golf and like Clear Channel Communications and Ryan Seacrest.

Sirius is for BMW and Mercedes drivers who love the NBA, NFL, and listen to Howard Stern.

Get Sirius!

XM has MLB buddy. Siruis is for you yuppies that listen to Martha Stewart and think Howard Stern is so great. Howard makes me sick. He is so full of himself I want to hit him upside the head with a shovel. He thinks that everyone rips him off and that he invented everything.

Also, I dont listen to GOLF or Ryan Seacrest. I listen to Opie & Anthony. More controvercial than Howard and anything else on Sirius put together.

XM may have gotten a head start, but that doesn't mean anything. If people would have heard Sirius is better, they would switch to Sirius. Fact is, Sirius has a poor radio selection and poor programming. Don't expect them to be commercial free much longer, as they aren't going anywhere.

And as for your car comment, here is a list of cars that XM radio comes installed in now a days. They dont have this big list because they are boring and "worse" than Sirius.

http://www.xmradio.com/cars/

The fact is, Howard Stern is a joke. He is done. His prime is long gone. You seem to think his audience is bigger than ever, yet when he does a public appearance his fan base is more thin than it ever was. When he was on Letterman, more O&A fans came by to trash him than his own fans showed up. He is washed up.

I'd like to see, without the off topic debates, if you were to choose (or already have) which service you chose. Sirius or XM.

Siriushttp://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/graphics/brandedstores/sirius/sirius_logo0316.gif

Pros:

Cost

Plug and Play

More unit options

More units of smaller sizes

Cons:

Smaller Company

Reports of poor reception

Programming?

XM http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/graphics/brandedstores/xmradio/xm_logo0325.gif

Pros:

Where it all got started....

Wider network

Cons:

Price

Less variation in items available

ClearChannel

Sirius has more units of smaller sizes? That's a joke. XM has way more smaller and portable units. XM even has a portable unit that you can listen to LIVE satellite radio. Sirius has a portable unit too, but you have to record the programming then you can listen to it later on the go. XM is a better choice with radios. And price isnt even an issue anymore, so I am not sure where you got that. You can get an XM radio for as low as $30.

Archived