LegacyGT.com

120k Too many miles?

Honestly, mileage is just a number. If the car was taken care of and the owner can show proof it will run forever. My STi has 143,000 miles on it and I have not had one single issue with it at all. Just make sure you get the one your looking at checked out before you purchase it!

Yea that's what I'm thinking I always tell my wife if you didn't see the odometer on her 02 obs you would never guess it has 170k on it. I did have to do head gaskets on her car last summer at 150k. I was surprised how easy of a job it really was did it in my garage out one weekend and in the next. I figured if we take care of it the engine should hopefully last until we pay off the loan and then if we had to put a new engine in it for $2000 that wouldn't be so bad.

These things are not like a 02 obs, the engine is lower in the frame.

You need to do more reading and know what your getting into.

Is the wagon a 5mt or automatic ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's an automatic. Some of the stuff he says about the car seems pretty good. I like the aftermarket parts that are already done and that they maintenance has been done but some of it seems far fetched. He said the rims are and aftermarket lightweight subaru wheels and they are like $400 each. They don't seem that special to me but I haven't taken them off the car. He also says the rotors are Centrics and cost $300 each but they just looked like normal rotors. They aren't over sized or even cross drilled or slotted. I'm a service writer for a shop and have been for about 10 years and I think he just added an extra 0 to that price there is no way they cost that much.

I have a little more to add. He works for All Wheel Drive Auto Sales which is a sales branch for All Wheel Drive auto a Subaru repair shop. He bought the car a year ago from the owner of that shop and I believe the owner was the one that did all the work to this car and then sold it to the guy I'm buying it from 7,000 miles ago. This dude is trying to refinance his house and needs to pay off some debt. He told me that the guy before him also put new bushings in the turbo. What I'm wondering is if he really just removed the filter from the oil lines. It seems like the owner of the shop did all the work and this guy just has an idea of what has been done. He doesn't even know what the access port does.

Before I buy it I'm going to have him bring it to my shop so I can put it up on a rack and look over everything more thoroughly.

Price is way to high imo. I know the wagons aren't as common but the trade in value on this car is only about $6000. Private party is only around $8000 as per edmunds. I would expect to pay more than $8k but not anywhere near $14k!

• Moderators

The price is WAY to high for that kind of mileage, IMO. I wouldn't pay more than $10k for a car with 120k, and that would even be pushing it. Your decision tho.

At the end of the day this could easily be a great car for another 100k miles if it has been taken care of, no reason to pay more than you have to though.

I bought my wagon with 54k miles for $13.5k and it came with a set of snow tires/wheels that I sold for $600.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Well we agreed on 13k Nada is $12750 and kbb is $13100 and in Seattle all the Subarus go for more than blue book. I do hate buying a car with this high of mileage but it's the last year these were made so it's hard to find them with less. I figured I could maybe find one with 90k but this one has already had the timing belt done, the tires and brakes are good, and the aftermarket stuff I know doesn't add value to the car but I do like it. I'm 29 now and when I was in my early 20's I had an awd Eagle Talon that ran high 11's and I miss having a quick car. Now we are planning of having a baby and I need to be more practical so the GT wagon seems like a good choice.

I'm not apposed to an Outback XT (all the same color not two tone) or a Forest XT but we kinda set 13,000 for our budget before tax. I'm approved for 1.99% on anything up to 80% value or 2.99% to finance up to 100% value. We can afford more but we have other big things going on like saving up for a down payment to purchase the business I work for, and we refinanced our house into a 15 year mortgage.

• Moderators

Sorry, that's just completely ridiculous to me. I bought mine in Michigan where I'm sure Subarus are also popular. I'll also add in that mine came with all dealership records for the car.

I find it hard to justify that you are going to buy the same car as mine with 60k extra miles on it and multiple owners for $100 more. You may be in love with this one (can't say I blame you), but I think you are over paying.

If you buy it, welcome to the club--and whatever might go wrong if anything, the folks here will surely be able to help out.

EDIT: mine is a limited also (leather + sunroof) but I don't necessarily think that's always more valuable to every buyer.

I get sick of hearing everyone getting crazy good deals I never seem to find them lol. People never seem to work on the price much around here. I was at another dealer and they were asking like $17,000 for one with 80k. There is an 05 all black limited outback xt with 114k a dealers asking price is $13,100. I could always check that out and see if I can work them down on the price. I can always do the timing belt my self if they don't have records.

I would check edmunds.com for their "True market value". Even after updating zip the numbers are the same. Checking kbb shows about $10k which is for "Good" condition. $13k is still too much. There are lower milage LGTs available in the classifieds here for less money.

He told me that the guy before him also put new bushings in the turbo

What the heck is that? Did he mean to say he he replaced the turbo...or did he take it apart and press in new bearings ?

That car better have a catless up pipe on it...?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If you're dead set on getting one it maybe worth you while to travel and drive it back home :) That seems high an 05 with 120k miles on it. Another rule of thumb is as a seller you're not going to get your money back on Mods. I've got an 07 LGT Limited with 120k, VF52, Tuned blah blah blah, 120k mile service already done and mine is listed for 12.5. So far I haven't even gotten a comment on the FS ad. Mines not a wagon but even so that's too much money IMO.

Gee if he paid $13,000 for that, I wonder what I could get for my Wagon ?

It's got about 1500 miles on the new engine,

• Moderators

I would look into traveling to find the right car for you. An 8-10 hour drive is nothing, and you can just find a good reputable independent shop to check the car out for you. I bought mine in Ann Arbor and drove it back to DC. It's not like the deal was just sitting in my back yard.

Your budget doesn't seem to be too limiting so you could also just pay to have the right car shipped to you.

I agree you are paying a bit of a premium, but not too the tune of $5000 as jason suggests above. The reason why aftermarket parts don't usually add value to a car is because they are often a matter of taste and putting them on narrows your market. In addition, they can be an indication that this car has seen a little more abuse than others. Sounds like the story behind this one is not too sketchy, though. Obviously, the current owner figures that the aftermarket stuff is worth a little bit and has figured that in mind. I feel like I've been seeing these offered in the the $10,000 - $12,000 range. There was even a guy on here that lost his mind and asked $20,000, recently. He was way overestimating his market value. That's the problem with spending on aftermarket parts. You gotta know upfront, it's not like improving your house. Car parts will never pay you back.

You may have overpaid by a bit, but it's nothing to cry about. You've bought a wonderfully fun and good car. Start reading on here for a bit and I guarantee you'll have a dozen mods that you absolutely *need*. Enjoy!

Edit: Also note, sounds like this is dealer price, not private sale. There's a few dollars factored in to that I think too.

If it were my car, I'd sell that for 8-9k. Cars 8 years old now(made in 2004).

13k is too much as I bought mine for 13k 3 years ago

If I was to sell mine, I'd sell it for around 7.5-9k with 98k miles.

Centric rotors weren't 300 each, more like $50 each, if I remember right as I have em too

Keep waiting/looking as you might regret getting it since he already lied bout the price of the rotors. What else isn't he telling you?????

Wait and think about it.

I wouldn't buy it since there probably is something wrong with it that he's not telling you.

Keep shopping/waiting/don't rush and buy it

Don't want you to come back here in a few weeks posting your issues, problems with the car.

U are the fake Bosco!!!

As for the miles it not that bad just be ready that you might have to dump some $ into it. Also all of the little rubber bits are starting to deteriorate, how handy are you with cars?

He did HG's last summer, (post3) so I guess he can do most things to these cars.

Archived