LegacyGT.com

replacing 06 head unit with 07 head unit

Is this as simple as purchasing the head unit from Subaru and is it plug and play or do I need wiring harnesses etc.

I did look on the forum but there were no direct answers to my question. I'm sure it's around here somewhere I just can't find it.

Check out the Audio Forum... Almost certain it's plug and play, as a lot of people were doing this when Sat Ready units came out.... Also I've noticed Subaru hasn't changed their stereo wiring harness for 10+ years... so it will most likely work. The only problem you would probably run into would be that there would be no wiring for the Aux in and the Sat.....

Here ya go

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/08-outback-radio-installed-my-05-legacy-120882.html?t=120882&highlight=headunit

From '08 Outback to '05 LGT... so I assume all platforms will work fine. That's another good thing about Subaru, they don't fix it if it ain't broke. When I bought my '05 Impreza, I just unplugged my HU from my '98 and installed it straight in with the same adapter...

• I Donated
The only problem you would probably run into would be that there would be no wiring for the Aux in and the Sat.....

If you have a satellite module, it just plugs right into the back with its own harness. SVXdc sells an adapter for $35 to get Aux working. There is a very long thread about this swap on the forum (the "SpecB Radio Information" thread) and every detail has been discussed extensively.

And the search function really is mediocre at best... Until you learn where things are and what forums to actually search, it's hard to figure this stuff out.

As for the Aux-In and XM problems. It seems there is an easy affordable solution for the Aux-IN.

The XM module itself does bolt underneath the stereo and plugs right into the back, my concern was how to install the antenna. When I installed mine (in my prewired '08) you plug the antenna hookup extension into the XM module then install the antenna itself on to the widnshield and use the short lead coming from it to plug into the other end of the antenna extension under the maplights. IIRC the plug is different than a regular XM antenna, but I'm sure you could rig it up.

One word of advice I'll give is to look at subforums if you have a specific question and post it there... if you can't find a good subforum to ask it, then go for the general model year forum.

Archived