LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

francis - could be the jack on the ipod. Does your ipod sound ok with headphones?

My second guess would be the cord that plugs into the ipod (the piece you installed). I would try other mp3 players, etc - see if you get the same response.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for your post. iPod works fine with headphones and other devices. I am thinking it might be the barrel connectors that connects the iPod cord to the Jazzy board. Hoping it is not the board itself.

does anyone know how long it usually takes to get one of these? i ordered mine like a week ago and haven't gotten anything yet and i'm going on vacation this next weekend so was hoping I would have it before I left.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I plan to replace my board (it is around 5 years old) with a new one as the driver speaker cuts in and out. It looks like the GLI now connects directly to the Jazzy board. Does the square housing of the GLI fit inside the radio chassis or does it need to go outside? If it is outside, is there enough cable on the GLI to have it on the outside of the radio or do I need to run a small amount of cable between the board and the GLI?

Thanks

My CD player has not been functioning since installing the Jazzy board last week. Here's what happened:

* Installed the board, went to car to test it

* Connected the radio power: heard CD player spin up as expected (no discs inserted)

* Inserted the silent CD: the CD player accepted it, made noise for a bit (as expected when a new disk is inserted), then spit the CD out.

* After the CD was spit out, the CD player wouldn't respond to eject or load buttons, and pressing the CD button while the radio was on would not switch to the CD player function. I have not been able to get these buttons to respond since then.

I opened the radio back up and made sure everything was connected correctly, but no dice. The CD player motor still spins up when the radio is first turned on (so it is getting power), but it doesn't function beyond that. I also tried manually inserting a CD and getting it set in the right place while the radio was open, but it still wouldn't work (motor noise on start up, then no function). I also pulled the fuse for the radio and reinserted it...same thing.

Any ideas as to what could have caused this problem and is there anything I can try to do to fix it?

A few other questions:

For those with a GLI, where are you placing it? With the included GLI and patch cable, it must be placed between the patch cable and the board. Have you guys been placing the box inside the radio enclosure, or hanging out the back of it?

For for those that ordered the pro kit, what length of 1/8" -> RCA patch cable have you received? I was expecting a 6' cable like the install kit, but the one I received was only around 3'.

If it helps anyone-

Had similar disc load issue.

Spun at plug-in but wouldn't load when I pressed load.

HOLD the load button down until you see Load All then load your silent cd.

I wasted an hour and a half today tearing my cd player apart three times.

So did all you people who got the "pro ipod kit" (which has the ipod cable, not 1/8" headphone jack) really spend $110 for this? That just seems like such a rip.

yep. i think it was an even 100 when we got it. it come with an additional filter, and the ipod cord. the ipod cord is of really high quality for whats its worth. it also comes with the power lead, etc for the charging function.

This guy's goal is to make some $, and he makes these by hand... Im ok with paying it. Glad to help a small business out with a good product.

I installed my pro kit about four or five years ago and it's still going strong. I recently acquired an old original iphone 2g (8 gigs). It's jailbroken so I don't have to pay for data and just use wifi. ;) The ipod cable that came with the kit charges the iphone no problem, but I can't get it to play audio. I tried a friend's iphone same model but not jailbroken and it wouldn't play audio either, so I know it's not the hacked status of my iphone. Is there a newer version of the ipod cable that supports audio out for iphones? Does the original work with any of the later models (3g, 3gs, 4)?

In case anyone was wondering, I have the cable running behind the dash (2006 OB 2.5i) and up through the center dash cubby where I dremeled a small slot.

Thanks and sorry if this question was asked and answered already.

TOTAl noob question, but I'm a noob at this. Does anyone happen to have instructions for "tapping into the 12v+" for power? The instructions don't say anything about tapping into the constant power source. One of Jazzy's wires is straight (red) and the other has a loop with a big hole in it. Do i cut the cigarette lighter wire and loop them together? electrical tape? I'd be so grateful for assistance. Thanks!

P.S. do i need a soldering iron for this? or would simple electrical tape work?

also,

I just installed the chip and had to leave the cable routing and electrical until tomorrow. For the mod chip installed into the radio, did you guys just leave it loose? I couldn't see a way or where to secure it at all. Once I closed it, it looked like the chip wouldn't bounce around so I hope its ok. I hope I did that right.

For you guys who mounted in the arm rest, did you drill into the front of the cubbie or the bottom? Are zip ties necessary when routing it under the console?

Thanks a million guys, I hope to get some responses tonight.

Edited by GPUnique

I cut right into the cig lighter power line. Just cut it. stripped it, and tied it into the ipod line. I used crimp down line connectors and a crimper. then i e-taped the heck out of it. the smallest little thing can pick up interference in a stereo system, especically power leads. you can get a kit with a crimper and a bunch of line connectors at a discount store (big lots, ocean state job lot, etc) for like $10 - good to have around. they usually come with some connectors and the crimp tool.

i think i left my 'chip' floating around in there. cant rememebr what the instructions said. i remember the instructions not quite being perfect. but i made it through. i dont think it has alot of room to flounder around in there anyways (if i recall correctly).

i routed the cables to the arm rest, and came up under neath. along the way, i used a few zip ties to loosely secure the cable away from the e-brake mechanism the best i could. i drilled a hole large enough to put the head of the connector through in the bottom of the armrest - about an inch from the front side. i then slit the carpet to allow the wire to pass up through. i left about 2 feet to give some flexibility for a passenger or driver. (if not slightly more).

jasejase, thank you SOOO much for the info. I got your message just before i started so it was perfect. Its been a busy week and to add the hurricane made it hard to reply. I live in NYC and luckily the storm weakened and where i live it was pretty tame. Not so much for some other areas.

Anyway, I installed everything and your tips helped big time. I love this thing! I only had one hitch and would like to correct it. I can't get the armrest console to attache 100%. The little plastic clips are near impossible to latch. I'm afraid of screwing up the console by putting too much pressure on it. See the attached photo.

Also, can i put a little twist crimper over the electrical tape? It'd like it to be very solid. Thanks again!

IMG_0188.thumb.jpg.61c4fd8036c7c6b8c4d3633c086370ff.jpg

jasejase, thank you SOOO much for the info. I got your message just before i started so it was perfect. Its been a busy week and to add the hurricane made it hard to reply. I live in NYC and luckily the storm weakened and where i live it was pretty tame. Not so much for some other areas.

Anyway, I installed everything and your tips helped big time. I love this thing! I only had one hitch and would like to correct it. I can't get the armrest console to attache 100%. The little plastic clips are near impossible to latch. I'm afraid of screwing up the console by putting too much pressure on it. See the attached photo.

Also, can i put a little twist crimper over the electrical tape? It'd like it to be very solid. Thanks again!

No problem... we endured the storm as well. its a mess here in CT. Was in NYC last night, and everything seems to be going ok there.

Are you talking about the white clip? Its been a while since i pulled that thing apart... but if you are talking about the white clip - i think you can pull that clip right out of the hole its seated in, and attach it to the console and then pop it in. If we're both talking about the same thing...

i wouldnt crimp over the electrical tape. I would crimp, and then e-tape over it. b/c the crimp could damage additional shielding on the cable/wire, neccesitating the need for more e-tape. lol

yeah i am talking about the whit clip. It seems pretty snug in its hole. a cone shaped plug into a circle snapping into place. So i'm not sure how to pop it out and not damage it. Thanks for the crimping idea. I'll give both a try soon. Glad to hear you're OK after the storm too.

yeah... i THINK that white clip comes out. im curious now, but it looks like a common trim clip.

does it have fins on it. or something on the bottom to squeez to make it skinnier to pull it back through the hole to release it?

• 1 month later...

Electronics isn't my strong point.. so here goes my question..

I know you can have a splitter to split a 3.5mm jack, but what if you want to have two inputs on the same 3.5mm jack, but not use them at the same time?

One for iPod, and then one for an external satellite radio?

Electronics isn't my strong point.. so here goes my question..

I know you can have a splitter to split a 3.5mm jack, but what if you want to have two inputs on the same 3.5mm jack, but not use them at the same time?

One for iPod, and then one for an external satellite radio?

I may be misunderstanding your question, but my Jazzy kit allowed for the included iPod cable and 3.5mm to both be hooked up. I have both cables run to the console, and can switch between them at will.

Hope that helps, sorry if it doesn't.

I saw it came with the 3.5mm, but I want a 2nd 3.5mm input as well so I can plug both my ipod and a sirius/xm receiver (a portable one) in it.. of course though not use them at the same time. Can you use a splitter for something like that?

EDIT: Oh wait on the jazzy ipod connector, do you not have to plug the 3.5mm jack into the ipod? hell if that's the case then what am i worrying about? LOL

I saw it came with the 3.5mm, but I want a 2nd 3.5mm input as well so I can plug both my ipod and a sirius/xm receiver (a portable one) in it.. of course though not use them at the same time. Can you use a splitter for something like that?

EDIT: Oh wait on the jazzy ipod connector, do you not have to plug the 3.5mm jack into the ipod? hell if that's the case then what am i worrying about? LOL

No, you don't have to plug the 3.5 into the iPod, the pro kit comes with an iSimple cable to connect and charge your iPod/iPhone, the 3.5 can be used to hook up anything else. I've used it for my laptop and a portable DVD player.

I tape it up while it's not in use, because I found it transmits some static when it rubs against stuff bouncing around in my console.

It does, I think it's either from static electricity or inline interference. I have about a 4' 3.5mm cord that plugs into my trucks radio and it pics up a lot of interference.

Thanks for the info, that's one less thing to worry about.. now to order my kits =)