LegacyGT.com

Manual Mode

I finally drove a few miles using manual mode and liked it very much. I really enjoyed the feeling that I was more in control , rather than a computer. Loved the sound of the engine revving a little and the ability to use the 'gears' to slow the car, instead of the brakes.

As to whether it is a 'gimmick' it acts like it does have gears and for the reasons above, it is not, in my view, a gimmick.

I really liked the paddles. I did not have them on my previous 2 VW Jettas which had DSG (with real clutches) transmissions. My impression is that the time between pressing a paddle and the actual shift is quicker with the Subaru. It felt virtually instantaneous. Also, much better to shift without having to take my hand off the steering wheel.

Recognizing that the CVT in automatic is probably more efficient in terms of MPG, I expect I will use manual mode, whenever I want to have a bit more fun whiled driving and on occasion to help slow the car when going down steep hills.

I do think that in manual mode it should 'accept' shifts to 2nd at somewhat lower revs. I have the impression I could often shift to second at lower revs (when going for economy), without the engine lugging, but the program would not allow it.

Ok, Well I only missed two gears and mashed the brake pedal once but no one was behind me- whew. It's kind of just manual up shifting and I'm sure not the best for gas. I think I'll just let the computer figure this stuff out for commuting.

However perhaps on some steep mountain roads like up to Estes Park, Trail Ridge Rd. etc. this mode may have some benefits.....

I am also thinking this is best left to dry road fun. Up a steep snow covered incline for example perhaps its best to just hit the gas and let the computer and AWD system figure everything out ??

Ok, Well I only missed two gears and mashed the brake pedal once but no one was behind me- whew. It's kind of just manual up shifting and I'm sure not the best for gas. I think I'll just let the computer figure this stuff out for commuting.

However perhaps on some steep mountain roads like up to Estes Park, Trail Ridge Rd. etc. this mode may have some benefits.....

I am also thinking this is best left to dry road fun. Up a steep snow covered incline for example perhaps its best to just hit the gas and let the computer and AWD system figure everything out ??

It does downshift automatically in Manual Mode. However, I often manually shift down to have the immediate feeling of response even when I just nudge the accelerator and to hear the lovely sound (just revving a little more) of the engine. When stopping I often shift down before the computer does and use engine braking for a good portion of my stop. Don't know if this may be bad for the engine, but it is fun and easy on the brakes.

I did run the revs up once to force an upshift and it upshifted at 6,000 - 62000 RPM. I'm pleased it held the gear that long, although not to redline.

Having driven with paddles for a while - they follow the steering wheel when you turn so they aren't always where you'd want them when driving more advanced.

I could mostly do without them and I'd prefer that the up/down would be in the gearstick like the Volvo S60 Drive-E.

453747.png

lol. Every once in a while, when driving the wife's car, I put the shifter in 'manual' mode and use the paddles to wring a little extra fun from driving. Invariably, in about 5 seconds I slam the shifter back and curse Subaru for not offering a manual trans. with this generation Legacy.

lol. Every once in a while, when driving the wife's car, I put the shifter in 'manual' mode and use the paddles to wring a little extra fun from driving. Invariably, in about 5 seconds I slam the shifter back and curse Subaru for not offering a manual trans. with this generation Legacy.

That is pretty much my only complaint about about the 6th gen. I knew what I was buying, so its on me, but I really wish it was still an option.

My 2010 Legacy and my Wrangler are both manuals, so I have made the mistake of hitting the brake while reaching for the imaginary clutch pedal. It hasn't happened in a long time since I'm accustomed to driving it now, but when I first bought it, I was guilty of making that mistake out of pure habit...

To stay on track with this thread, the paddle shifters for what they are, do give me a tad more excitement while driving, but that only lasts for 30 seconds or so at a time.

Invariably, in about 5 seconds I slam the shifter back and curse Subaru for not offering a manual trans. with this generation Legacy.

Move to Canada, we have a manual 6 spd ;)

But to be honest, the gears are not well spaced, there is virtually no difference between 5th and 6th gear.

Move to Canada, we have a manual 6 spd ;)

But to be honest, the gears are not well spaced, there is virtually no difference between 5th and 6th gear.

You HAD the option. Sadly that option is now gone, the 2018 Legacy and Outbacks sold in Canada no longer offer a manual transmission.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5685821&postcount=90

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?W...ArticleID=9560

I like the paddles, they add a little fun to fun mode when the mood arises. However I rarely use them, I just no longer drive like I did when I was 20.

The one thing I don't like about the paddles is the "clack-clack" when I use them. I tend to quickly pop the paddles and they can be noisy. I could turn up the radio but then again, I'm still not 20. lol

Archived