LegacyGT.com

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly...

I just picked up my MT Legacy GT Sedan on Thursday. I traded in a 2000 BMW 323i.

First of all, The Good:

1) I got white, and the color is even better in person than I expected. It is very pearly and has a lot of depth. The interior, also, is very handsome. Neither the fake aluminum nor wood is off-putting, as their use is fairly restrained.

2) The ride is excellent. The power is good, and the steering and braking are both very good. The braking and feel of the handling are not quite to the level of my BMW (though they are not far off), but the power is far superior.

Now, The Bad:

1) I think something is wrong with my climate control. In full auto mode, the AC randomly turns off, even though the interior is very hot. It then recirculates hot air, and blow it out of the dash at full speed. I have tried switching to manual mode, and even though the display shows 'A/C', the condensor is clearly not working, and hot air continues to blow.

2) I drove the car around 40 miles today then let it sit for 5 hours while I played a round of golf. It barely started when I got back in. Luckily, it turned over on the third try, and I was on my way.

Finally, The Ugly:

1) After picking up my car I noticed some stains on the plastic bumpers where they turn into the wheel wells. I thought it was overspray of the tire shine stuff that the dealer put on that would wipe right off when I got home. It didn't. I brought it back to the dealer, and it was discovered that the stains are UNDER the clear-coat finish. (See pictures) They want me to leave the car for 4 days, so they can strip and repaint the bumpers. Interestingly, it is only on the plastic bumpers. It is not on the metal body of the car. I hope they can do a smooth job, and match the color properly.

The_Ugly_2.JPG.5e6c696a144ef81ef9f911ca2f0b0050.JPG

The_Ugly_1.JPG.63e58db28c76076926e3f798a7827bf3.JPG

The_Good_2.JPG.89f833d02b529e8e0724ad98cb6d044e.JPG

The_Good_1.JPG.06e7f39a7a79f988a7657126a944c463.JPG

You might be low on refridgerant? Or maybe that sensor on your passenger side dash is not functioning properly? The A/C would turn itself off if it thinks it needs to. What temperature did you set the HVAC controls to? Your car might be sitting at a lot for too long at the dealership... check the water level in the battery, be sure that the caps are tight on them and that the water level is good. Another tip is to let the fuel pump prime up (put the key to the 2nd position and let it sit there for 5 to 10 seconds for the fuel pump prime up). For the splatter on the bumper lining, clay it off. Keefe
Keefe

Are those similar "stains" on the inner plastic fender liner?? Knowing Subaru, I would suspect it's the undercoating -- they really slop it on. You might want to get the opinion of a good paint shop, dealers are notoriously dumb regarding paint/finishes. Also, do everything you can to preserve the original facotry paint job. Unless you (or the dealer) spends big dollars, the new paint job will never be as good as the factory paint. If this is truly under the clearcoat, I would still not go for a repaint if the stains are only in the inside of the wheelwells. Youd be compromising the paint on the entire bumper for small problem areas in a region you don't normally look at. Good luck! Craig

I think the refrigerant is okay, because when the AC intermittently works, it does blow cold air. I think your point about the sensor on the driver's side might be a better avenue to pursue. My car was ordered from the factory, and I picked it up the day after it arrived, so it shouldn't have been sitting too long. The splatters definitely won't clay off. The dealer already tried everything they could think of. The finish is totally smooth. The splatters got on there somewhere at the factory, and the factory applied the clear-coat finish right over the top. The Service Manager had a moderate melt-down when she saw them. She made someone check her car (which she just got) to see if she had them. She wants me to bring the car back when the regional manager is visiting, so he can see how it came from the factory. Also, the stains are mostly in the wheel wells, although some slopped onto the lower part of the back bumpers.

[quote name='SUBE_MN']I think the refrigerant is okay, because when the AC intermittently works, it does blow cold air. I think your point about the sensor on the driver's side might be a better avenue to pursue. My car was ordered from the factory, and I picked it up the day after it arrived, so it shouldn't have been sitting too long. The splatters definitely won't clay off. The dealer already tried everything they could think of. The finish is totally smooth. The splatters got on there somewhere at the factory, and the factory applied the clear-coat finish right over the top. The Service Manager had a moderate melt-down when she saw them. She made someone check her car (which she just got) to see if she had them. She wants me to bring the car back when the regional manager is visiting, so he can see how it came from the factory. Also, the stains are mostly in the wheel wells, although some slopped onto the lower part of the back bumpers.[/quote] Tell them you want new factory bumpers not a repaint. The repaint will never be as good as factory paint.

[quote name='Beanboy'][quote]Tell them you want new factory bumpers not a repaint. The repaint will never be as good as factory paint.[/quote] Well, in this case, it probably will be! :D[/quote] I made them replace the front bumper on my car when I picked it up because there were scratches under it when thee truck delivered it. They also told me they would touch mine up and I said no way do I want any paint work on a brand new car. They ended up swapping a front bumper with a wagon.

Great looking Car SUBE_MN. Glad to also hear that they are going to look at this problem ASAP for you. I think its important to receive the car in A1 condition and you have every right to put yr hand up and say yr not happy. Im sure the front and back bars will come back fantastic and hopefully you wont have any further problems. All the best Adam.

[quote name='Uberoo'][quote name='Throttlejockey'] Tell them you want new factory bumpers not a repaint. The repaint will never be as good as factory paint.[/quote] Don't settle for anything less than JDM factory bumpers. :twisted:[/quote]

This Space For Rent

[quote name='SUBE_MN']I think the refrigerant is okay, because when the AC intermittently works, it does blow cold air. I think your point about the sensor on the driver's side might be a better avenue to pursue. [/quote] Actually, your refrigerant level might be too high. If this is the case, when the ambiant is high and the A/C is working hard, the system pressure would get too high and trigger the pressure switch to shut down the compressor. I remember the Car and Driver experienced a similar problem on their long-term Honda Odyssey a while ago. The A/C system was overcharged and would cut out intermittently. Clearly this should not be happening on a crand new vehicle. The dealer should be able to diagnose and correct the problem.

Thanks BoostJunkie! That makes a lot of sense, and could be the answer. The problem is only happening when the car is very warm inside, and the AC is working hard. It then cuts out and won't come back until I open the windows to try to cool it down. This morning when it was cool outside, and the car had been in the garage all night, everything worked fine.

Sube_MN, did you get a satisfactory resolution about the splatter around the wheel wells? I noticed the same exact stains on my new ride, also white, the other day, and immediatelly took off for my local dealer. One of the service guys said the stains are from tire dressing - he has seen that happen to white cars - and that no, it won't come off after it's been on the car for a few days. I followed that with a visit to a body shop the service dept recommended and they verified the scenario. Rubbing compund did not touch those stains at all! I'm still waiting for a return call from the place where I got the car (900 miles away from home btw). A precedent/another documented instance of this issue would likely help both of our cases. More than that, Subaru should release an info bulletin to dealers about white cars and tire dressing - if that's in fact what it is. I have misgivings about repainting the bumpers on a new car just like someone else posting here.

vroomski, I bring my car in this Friday. The dealer wants the regional manager from Subaru (who will be there that day) to see it, since they do not think it is from tire dressing. Since the surface of the bumper is completely smooth, the dealer feels it is under the clear-coat. Regardless, the dealer has committed to fixing it. I do have some misgivings about having the bumpers repainted, but the dealer has said that any body work done by their body shop is guaranteed for as long as I own the car. I will provide an update later on what happens.

Sube_MN, The story I got from the body shop owner was that the finish on plastic bumpers cures differently that over metal. Apparently they put a plasticizing additive in the paint meant for plastic parts to help the finish resist cracking better in case of impact. In short, the way finish cures over plastic does compromise some of its properties as a barrier to penetrants. I don't know what's in tire dressing but coming from an organic chemistry-related background I do have a kind of appreciation for what the guy is saying. It makes sense to me since the stains are only to be found on the bumpers.

[quote]Regardless, the dealer has committed to fixing it. I do have some misgivings about having the bumpers repainted, but the dealer has said that any body work done by their body shop is guaranteed for as long as I own the car. [/quote] a it written down!

I got my car back today, and it looks great! I feel that the dealer has really treated me right on this. I did have misgivings about having them remove and repaint the bumper covers, but it now looks like how it should have when I initially picked it up, and they have provided me a written warranty that is good for as long as I own the car. They provided me a new Forester as a free loaner for the five days they had my car. The AC seems to be fixed, as well. They assessed it as being "slightly overcharged." I have been happy with my salesman, the sales manager, and the service manager. If anyone needs a recommendation in the Minneapolis area, I would be happy to provide one.

Archived